1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where will our goals come from?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Cest Advocaat, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

5 games in is hardly a time to be panicking but I'm concerned all the same.

In all 5 games in the league we have huffed and puffed and at times played okay but consistently we have looked weak as the proverbial piss up front. With Fletcher on a sabbatical and Wickham the only forward on our books who has actually scored this year, I'm very worried whethervwe will score enough goals or even threaten opponents enough before the chance to recruit in January.

Burnley were simply awful and weak as any team I've seen in years but we struggled to break them down. That's not good.

Do we change the formation or team to increase goal threat or persist with Wickham as the sole striker and hope it comes off? Dozy and Graham are championship standard at best so we desperately need Gus to weave some managerial magic and get Fletchers head sorted asap or we may well be in for a very tough 2014 which in turn will mean a nervous early 2015.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this?

2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Its a tough one but I think we need to sort out the defense, by leaving out Jos and introducing Coates or even Jones and moving Vergini over. This might give us a bit more confidence to play a more attacking midfield, where we have a few options, with one or other of two from Jozy or Whicks upfront. I did say might though, and only suggest this because I am at a loss to see how we can improve with such a woeful strike force, and no viable alternatives to the four duffers. Whats your thoughts as I enjoy reading your views on here.<ok>

3. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

personally, i think the club and poyet has ****ed up....big time..

we all know it's a team game...but,our forwads are ****ing dreadful

wickham boy wonder, i want 40k a week,,,,for what?

fletcher..ffs sort ya sell out.....our best forward by far..

altidonkey....please **** off ya ****e

mag **** graham....can't even get a game...if altidonkey is picked before you, you have to b ****e.

thank **** the midfield looks ok.

4. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Like you, it's too early to hit the panic button but I am concerned. My hope is that Alvares can get up to speed with the EPL and contribute a few and create some as well and hopefully Gus will see that it just isn't working with Larsson in the team and replace him with either Gomez or Buckley.

Not defending Whickam here but he's hardly had the best of service and at times looks isolated up front due to a lack of forward runs from midfield.

Fletch needs to get his head on big time, he was carried all last season and is another on around £40k, time to produce Mr Fletcher.

Dozy couldn'thitabarndoor, 2 goals in 62 games says it all really and at one point yesterday he actually tripped over the ref, ****ing shambles.

5. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

I think Giacc and Wickham will click and create most of the goals. Johnson, Rodwell and Alvarez will get a few each too.

We still need a Striker but who are we going to get?

6. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

those five playing at the same time has not happened.gus preferes Larson . <bubbly>

7. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Agree with this but I don't think Poyet was to blame just the poxy budget the club was working off. I cannot fathom why we employ directors of football who oversee transfers and only seem to piss the manager off. Poyet has already stated that he was disappointed by the transfer business but ah ****ing em so were the fans. We have been screaming for a couple of decent strikers for years, what we have at the mo is a lad on an ego trip, a wealthy not worried Scottish couldn't give a **** striker, a lad that would do his best but is just not for the EPL and Graham..

Just my opinion like..<ok>

8. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Stick Mandron in for the cup game. Not saying he's the answer but think it's a bit early to be panicking yet.

9. Cyclops

Cyclops Member

I hope that there will be a few quid available in January for a striker, we got a bout of once in a lifetime luck with our escape last time round, won't happen twice in a row.

10. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Taking our end of season run, signings and departures, and the start we have made I would hazard a guess that we have stood still. We may have signed other premier players but the midfield still seems not to be able to create much service and attackers movement off the ball is non-existent. There is just no power and pace in the areas that matter.

The old saying "the league position does not lie" is starting to take shape.

11. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

Wickham we have seen tends to get goals in clumps. Think when he opens his account he will score more. Had no service the last two games.

I think Johno isn't keen on Wickham if you watch him he rarely passes to Wickham and if he does it tends to be a bad pass.

12. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Maybe try and clear out two of the four front men in January and bring in Rhodes from Blackburn?

13. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

Hahaha that was ****ing brilliant wasn't it?
    No wonder he goes over so easy when an actual tackle goes in on him. <rofl>

Could also be Wickhams lack of nous Tony mate.
    Far to often he doesn't make himself available for the easy ball and is actually behind the defenders at times.
    Good strikers make runs into spaces, he runs among the defenders.

14. ROBOJOHN

ROBOJOHN Active Member

what happened with that jonas guy that was getting bandied about?
    have banged on a few times about Rhodes, a goalgetter is a goalgetter if you put the chances in front of him, am I missing something? because he's consistently scored at every level he's played
    TBF don't think Connor has had much service upfront but you also have to do the donkey work and get across defenders even if it doesn't come off evrytime
    maybe time to try 3-1-4-2 and try and free up the midfield, Jozy bustles about and brings people in to the game but can't see him ever scoring many

15. WearsidePride

WearsidePride Active Member

I wrote a thread before the burnley game expressing my concerns about the lack of quality players signed in the transfer window and got slaughtered for it. And you were one if them cest.

It's funny how a few days after, you and others are now expressing the same thoughts.

16. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Sadly it's all too true though mate, he was on the deck more times me on a Friday night.

17. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Add the lack of composure on the ball away from the goal and his inability to pass means he's of no use in build up play. We need a striker who can contribute to build up, to drop deep and help the team work the ball up the pitch as a unit. He's detached. Look at other big lads like Bony and Lukaku, they can drop deep, sometimes deeper than their midfielders to contribute. Those strikers always contribute at the start then in the middle and then pop up at the end of moves.

If you ask me Conner, like the rest of our strikers, is just not a good enough footballer.

18. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

No, yours was one of total negativity and unhealthy doom and gloom, with a slice of wrist slashing chucked in for good measure. It was poop tbh.

Mine is far more reflective of a situation we ALL knew about all last season but in a more creative, intelligent direction.

I hope that helps you.

19. WearsidePride

WearsidePride Active Member

So you'res is positive right?..

Mine wasn't wrist slashing, just stated what I thought, and you and other posters have now just echoed my feelings, but in you're eye's, in a less negative manner? I don't think so somehow.

20. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Who may I ask?