1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Whitts struggling?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whitts was a lynchpin for us for years though I must say I was glad to see him move on. He wasn't a Warnock type of midfield player and he knew it - his time with the club was up.

Early days but sorry to see there's something not right for him at Blackburn at the moment. Mowbray played him the first two league games and they lost both. Mowbray then dropped him for the next two and they won both. He was brought back for their Carabao Cup game and they got stuffed by Burnley and he was subbed.

He's got a 2 year deal with them and the best of luck to him, but it's sad to see him bench warming and apparently struggling at a League 1 level. He possessed Premier class earlier in his career albeit without any pace, and that was the sort of football he'd have thrived on.

Don't want to write him off but you just don't get time on the ball from the Championship down and sad to say his career could effectively be over. Hope for his sake I'm wrong.

2. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

I noticed in one game that he was subbed at about the 60 minute mark....seems to last that long then spent! No good to my Doris that! :emoticon-0103-cool:

3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Depends who she's got on the bench.

Look masky pal - take a cold shower before you over-exert yourself and stick to the football.

I wouldn't like to see you go down with cramp or a strained groin. <hug>

4. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I heard he's not taking free kicks & assume he's not on pens?

He's class and that'll come through eventually. Blackburn will be there or thereabouts mark my words.

What a legend. One of my fave ever City players:emoticon-0137-clapp

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Nin - undoubted class but to be fair, if he's not taking free kicks and pens for them I can understand why they don't need him in the side. You can't expect him to be on the field just in case they get one.

His vision may still be there but the pace never was. Add to that he's probably having to play a more robust type of game in League 1, and you have a potential recipe for disaster. He's not the most physical nor mobile player and his classy play could be well out of place down there.

I never thought it would suit him drop to League 1. He's a player caught between a rock and a hard place. Not good enough for the Prem and too good for League 1. I can understand him wanting the financial security of a 2 year contract but it might have been the wrong move as a player.

6. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

I was never a massive Whitts fan, he was the best corner taker I've seen in a Cardiff shirt and had 3 or 4 seasons where his free kicks were top class but he cost us goals do, average players would fly through the space he left.

We should have let him go 4 years earlier IMO.

7. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I think if you look at his free kick success rate it dropped significantly over the past 3 years.

Dai, agree about his corners. But City haven't missed him at all this season from open play and dead balls.

OS agree with you in hindsight about the style difference between the divisions; I still think his extra quality will enhance Blackburn as the season evolves. I hope so for him.

DaiJones likes this.
  8. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Very much depends on the ability of his team mates to get the ball to him in the right areas.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

See Blackburn won 3-0 away from home again today - Whitts on the bench again and unused. He must be pretty pissed off.

10. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, he would not get on the bench for us this season and League 1 is brutal for a player like Whitts.

Oldsparkey likes this.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Away win for Blackburn again last night and another game for Whitts nailed to the bench.

After a dreadful start with Whitts in the side, Blackburn are moving up the table without him.

12. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Surely Mowbray knew the type of player Whitts is. A sad end to a great career. I hope he gets some game time soon.

13. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

Not sure if he'd go on to punditry after his career but i could see Whitts being a good source of knowledge on the championship in the future