1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Sep 8, 2019.

?

Pontus or White

1. White

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Pontus

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lots of moaning and upset fans pre-season as it turned out Pontus was being sold and Bielsa fancied a kid who was on loan in L1 & L2 however White wins EFL player of the month

2. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see if anyone votes for Pontus. Would love to hear their argument as to why he's better than White. One thing's for sure, you'll never be able to buy White for £4m!

Doc, lifecheshirewhite and Jammy 07 like this.
  3. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Even though I hadn't seen White play before, I had no doubt he'd be better than Jansson, both on and off the pitch.

Bielsa watched him dozens of times over two years, he can spot a good player, a better player. I trust his judgement - he doesn't buy ****e.

4. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Really like the look of White, seems the real deal. Only drawback, he's not ours, Brighton don't seem to want to sell either.

Whitejock and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  5. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

It's just a shame we couldn't have had both.

Problem is Pontus's ego wouldn't have accepted being on the bench, but he would have been a great player to have for certain games and for bringing on when it's all hands to the pump late on.

But White is the better player, prospect and squad member.

6. Jammy 07

I agree but it does make you wonder how we ended up with Lewis Baker and Izzie Brown last season. He must have fancied Baker a bit as he gave him quite a few opportunities, which he wasted and then Bielsa didn't want him to leave in January.

7. FORZA LEEDS

I think the difference is those two were more squad filler players, whereas White was needed as an immediate first team starter, and was taking the place of a fans favourite, so Bielsa knew his judgement had to be right - he was replacing a vital cog.

That’s why I never had any doubts White would turn out to be the real deal. In fact he’s even better than I’d hoped (maybe Bielsa has improved him already).

Whitejock, Gessa and Jammy 07 like this.
  8. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I've gone Pontus. If White maintains his form and fitness for a full season then he would come out on top but I can't judge him on a handful of championship games. At least we know Pontus has the ability to consistently deliver solid performances at this level over a sustained period. If I had to pick a squad to get me through a season I would still opt for Pontus.

Very happy with White so far though. Hope he can maintain fitness and performance levels.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  9. lifecheshirewhite

If we go up you never know, everyone has a price.

Gessa likes this.
  10. Jammy 07

We didn't have to sell Pontus from a contractual point of view as he had 3 years left, also we didn't sell him because we were offered a massive fee. He was sold quickly and without being given the chance to return to TA for any of pre season for reasons unknown.

That fact alone tells me we're better of without him.

davy, Whitejock and FORZA LEEDS like this.

11. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Like I say... I've no problem with what happened! Could have got more money imo but a quick sale was needed by Bielsa. C'est la vie! I can live with it. White has been excellent thus far. I think we are all on the same page when I say that I hope it continues.

Doesn't mean Pontus was/is a bad player. I'm sure Brentford will be very happy with his performance at the end of the season. Even Bielsa said Pontus was our best player last season.

It's a shame it couldn't be worked out. We could have had both involved.

Jammy 07 likes this.
  12. Whitejock

I think the general consensus is that Pontus didn't leave because of his onfield performances. So being the 'best player' for the year (Bielsa) counts for nothing if you don't get the rest of it right too. I get the feeling that White is first class off-field as well as onfield.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  13. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Certainly not now they don't

14. Whitejock

I see what you're saying about consistency, & you're quite right that we're making assumptions about White in that respect.

But I disagree that Pontus was consistently good. Consistent, yes. Consistently good, no. I remember analysing quite a number of goals we conceded in slow motion. Pontus most certainly did not cover himself in glory for a lot of them. A lot! And not just last season. Another thing that might surprise you is that Pontus was mouthy off-field, but a bit of a shrinking violet on-field. He did not command. The only exception was goalkeepers, and it was not positive thoughts he was expressing. He almost destroyed Silvestri. Criticism was the last thing he needed! When Pontus didn't play, Silvestri clearly played with a lot more confidence, & Cooper talked him through the match. Personally, I'd have picked Berra or Davis before Pontus if he was still here this season, but I realise that might not be a popular opinion.

JonnyLosAngeles and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  15. Whitejock

It could have. With Saiz too. But their egos said they knew better than Bielsa. And I bet you they both still think that. The club is better off without them.

Jammy 07 and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  16. Jammy 07

Totally agree WJ.

But I do miss watching Siaz play...for all the rumours about training and his weight etc he always seemed to give maximum effort on the field. Yes he was very petulant and frustrating at times but what sublime talent on the ball.

On second thoughts no one gave maximum effort under Heckingbottom.

Whitejock likes this.
  17. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

That's it for me. Think we're stronger if you add White & keep Pontus. Actually, the question for me is White is nailed on, so who is better Pontus or Cooper?

Jammy 07 likes this.
  18. FORZA LEEDS

You hit the nail on the head the other day Jammy. Saiz at his best was the perfect No.10, receiving the ball with his back to goal and spinning away from his marker, something Hernandez no longer has in his locker but who’s very effective wide right.

When Roberts is back he’d do a similar job to Saiz. Bielsa sees him in that role.

Jammy 07 likes this.
  19. Whitejock

The story I heard was that Saiz had to go, not for his weight or anything like that, but that his treatment of one of the u23s was considered to be abhorrent, and ultimately the last straw. The absence of any tweets from any of his team mates suggests that whatever it was, it wasn't something that drew sympathy from them.

Doc likes this.
  20. FORZA LEEDS

Blimey <yikes>