1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Who do you want next?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

So when Jose’s reign comes to an inevitable end...who do you want to be Darth Levy’s next fall guy?

who will get us some Golden eggs from a few paltry beans?

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Pardew.

Might as well get relegated with a clown in charge for the bants.

gooner4ever and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I think I said it previously, but if Maureen goes then so must Levy.

Hoddle was a poor choice...many knew it due to his poor man management but hoped he would prove us wrong.

Leaving Pleat in charge for a whole season was a car wreck of a decision.

Santini was a plane crash of a choice which took NINE months to make and THREE month to smash into the side of a mountain.

Jol was a great decision.

Ramos was, trophy and 5 games apart, a nightmare choice.

Redknapp was a great choice.

AVB was a predictable <doh> of a decision.

Sherwood was a bigger <doh> of a decision.

Pochettino was a brilliant decision.

Maureen split the fan base, and has not worked in the short term and looks like yet another predictably poor choice.

10 managers chosen and only 3 good choices (if Maureen does not succeed)
    is poor.

I think that after 19 years a Chairman maybe Levy has become stale...like managers do.

Either way, think that we are in for a poor couple of seasons tbh.
    The team need a new keeper, new back 4, new defensive midfielder, new play maker and a new forward.
    8 players will take at least 2 summers and a winter window to get and god knows how we afford them with no crowds, no addition events, needing to repay the £176m borrowed last month, the stadium build and no CLmoney.

I just hope we see some decent games cos it's becoming a rarity these days.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I'm happy to support getting Levy out of footballing matters. Get him doing business deals and sorting out the NFL franchise, which he'll be much better at. The appointment of Mourinho says his days as football supremo are done.

As far as coach/manager, I'm not bothered about who we appoint as long as they have the skills to do the job as it actually is at this point. Mourinho doesn't...and for me, he never did

We need someone who will develop players from the Academy and lower leagues because we don't have the money to buy ready made talent and we're going to have a lot less when Levy admits that this was a completely predictable, ocean going, ****ing disaster and we give Mourinho all the money we've borrowed from the government to **** off somewhere else.

We need someone who can use players that he wouldn't have purchased himself and do so on merit and potential.

We need someone who's going to be here for the long haul, as this **** is going to take some time to sort out.

We need someone who is going to take responsibility for the squad and the team and not hide behind excuses.

The blokes at Southampton and Brighton are possibles..?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  5. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

What we need right now is the Tottenham equivalent of Chris Wilder - A man who loves the club, but is also a good coach and motivator.

I honestly don't believe that Jose is going anywhere unless he walks away of his own accord and does anyone see his ego allowing that?

But if he left today - I would be straight on the phone to Chris Hughton the only person I can currently think of who ticks the boxes that I required at the top.

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Chris Hughton would be a top appointment for where we are now.

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

To give a serious response this time, had a few cans last night <laugh>.

Until we get the right personnel in I don’t think the manager matters too much. We saw what Poch could do with the right players but ultimately even he failed to get the best out of a dour bunch towards the end. He was massively let down by Levy whilst he himself grew too attached to some of the players and the end result is what we’re seeing now.

He spoke of needing a “painful rebuild” at the start of this season, as a club you should never really need to “painfully rebuild” if you have the right aspirations. We should’ve replenished the ranks at a consistent rate to ensure a complete rebuild would never be necessary.

We either sold, inadequately replaced or allowed these players to decline:

Kyle Walker (Aurier a shadow of the player).
    Kieran Trippier (no replacement)
    Danny Rose (declined, Sess nowhere near his level yet)
    Jan Vertonghen (declined)
    Toby Alderweireld (declined, Sanchez not as good)
    Victor Wanyama (no replacement)
    Mousa Dembele (Tanguy poor so far/ Gio probably not direct replacement but proving a shining light). Christian Eriksen (no replacement)

We can all also probably agree that Lloris isn’t at the same level he used to be. That’s SEVEN nailed on first teamers we’ve lost/ seen decline, one who was a solid player in his own right before playing a season through injury and one who’s still just about good enough even if they’re not at their best anymore.

When you consider those players contributed to our three top three finishes in 16, 17 and 18, is it any wonder we’re now where we are?

For me it really doesn’t matter who the manager is. There’s a lot of hate for Jose simply because he’s Jose but he’s struggling just as much as Poch was and I highly doubt any other manager will be able to do better.

This team needs huge investment - more than any of us could imagine - if we’re to get anywhere near the levels we were at one stage under Poch. Will we see it? Extremely unlikely. So the best advice I could give is get used to being **** again.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Hoddle was a clear attempt at currying favour with the fans, because what better way to get the fans onside than sacking the ex-Goon and bringing in a club legend? Well for one...not being Alan Sugar was more than enough to get fans onside

Santini was a clear case of Levy kowtowing to what the fans expected, as Arnesen said to hire Martin Jol but because the fans were demanding a Big Name™ that led to Santini being brought in while Jol came in as his assistant...and then moved up the bench after Santini shat on Bill Nick's passing, although that was likely the final straw considering he was refusing to play Carrick when his brief was to use players like Carrick and was also royally pissing off the club's fullbacks in training

Ramos was the culmination of Comolli backseat driving the team, repeatedly undermining Jol because he wanted to work with Ramos (and it has to be said Levy really needed to step in earlier and put a lid on that) before the club rapidly learned that Ramos' approach to management was to plan for maybe a dozen games while assuming the rest would be won providing the team bus arrived at the stadium

LAdPCeVB certainly deserves criticism of some of his dour football, and his tactical plan of "Someone give it to Gareth" was always going to work out poorly in the end, but his throat was ultimately cut by Baldini going berserk one summer leaving him in a situation where he had to bed in seven first team players at once while juggling the players that were already there and that's too big a job for plenty of coaches better than AVB

Steptonho is already reminding me of Ramos in his approach, because while he got his tactics spot-on against The Sheikh Mansour Team and Man Utd (well, for one half anyway...) the rest of our games genuinely have the feeling that he thinks that if the team show up at the stadium things will take care of themselves, which is a suicidal approach to take considering our lack of a DM and a complete liability playing at RB

What really sticks out is that, on paper, hiring a Big Name™ is the safe option - but in practise that is never the case, as Santini and Ramos were both spectacular failures and we're rapidly headed towards a third name on that list, while gambles such as Poch, Jol and The Honest & Humble Saint Harris of Redknapp paid off

So with that in mind it's probably wise to not look at the likes of Allegri or Simeone given our track records of safe options being anything but, which probably rules out Julian Nagelsmann as well, and instead look at someone in the mold of Poch who can squeeze the absolute most out of what they have available to them

Obviously there's people pointing at Chris Wilder as one example, especially after last night, while that theory of Joao Sacramento being groomed to move up the bench still lingers (although this begs the obvious question: "When?"), while Atalanta's punching above their weight certainly makes Gian Piero Gasperini a leftfield suggestion and Bruno Genesio certainly got a hell of a lot out of his Lyon team and it's no coincidence their form went off a cliff after he left last summer for a payday in Beijing that he's surely looking to get out of by now...right?

9. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

We got a bit lucky with the players we bought who. under Poch, ended up massively outperforming the price we paid for them. We simply don't have the cash to buy seven players like that. Levy seems to be one of the few who understands that the only way to compete in the long run is to increase our revenue. Investing in the squad is forbidden by ffp unless it comes out of revenue.

10. PowerSpurs

The only alternatives I would be happy with are to keep Mourinho or bring back Pochettino. Anything else is short term thinking.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The lack of intent to keep our high position is what annoys me. I know we’re not gonna sign 7 quality replacements but the club allowed those players to decline and leave with very little attempt at rectifying those matters until last summer, which by then has proven too late as we all can see.

We’re not going to compete in the long run if our team continues to decline. Fans will stop attending matches, stop buying merchandise, we’ll lose out on top sponsorships, we’ll lose out on CL money and so on. We’ve neglected the football side of things for so long that the business side won’t really reap any major benefits as it all intertwines. You need a good team to make good business, you won’t get good business with a poor team.

FFP is suspended for the next 12 months too, two years will be assessed as one in 2021 so it gives a little leniency for Lewis/ Levy/ the board to invest some money. Ball’s in their court.

12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Saying we didn't sign replacements is simply wrong: in the summer of 2017 Sanchez & Foyth were signed to be the long-term successors to Toby and Verts while Aurier was intended to be an immediate replacement for Walker, while in 2019 Ndombele was brought in as the Dembele replacement (a year late...) and Lo Celso as the Eriksen replacement

Yes, there's the obvious issue that is 2018, an issue which could have been sorted with a sentence involving the words "FFS", "Nkoudou" and "Sell" rearranged in order to make a coherent sentence, as doing that would have freed up a much-needed non-HG spot in the squad, but saying there was no attempt to rectify issues in the squad simply does not stack up considering the numerous players in our squad who weren't here in the 2016-17 season

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

I can't see either working.

There's simply no sign that the vast majority of the current squad are putting themselves out for Mourinho...and Pochettino will be judged against his previous regime with a lot of inferior players. Both end in failure for me.

We need someone who can mould something out of the talent that we've got...play 3 in the middle and work towards a defensive set up that can actually keep the ball out of the net. For now, we've got some talented players in Kane, Son, Lo Celso and Bergwijn. We need to set up so that their talents don't get wasted by leaving bloody great holes in central midfield and right back.

14. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Jose was never the answer for Spurs. Anyone could see it would end in one way. That said, I don’t know right now who could come in and improve the team? Short term maybe a Rafa Benitez type but then you’re still stuck with the horrible (outdated) brand of football.

Daniel Levy needs to take a massive step back from making any footballing decisions and worry about the commercial side and getting sponsors for the stadium etc

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I never said we made no attempt, nor did I say in the previous post that we never signed replacements.

I said we made little attempt and signed inadequate replacements.

We allowed Rose to decline (and eventually leave no doubt). We allowed Eriksen to leave. We allowed Wanyama to decline and leave. We’re currently allowing Hugo to decline. We allowed Trippier to leave. We also allowed Llorente to leave.

Many of us also felt that Foyth would be better suited to either RB or DM quite early on so whilst he may have initially been signed to ideally replace Jan or Toby in the long run, it hasn’t proven the case and we go into this summer needing at least one, possible two CBs.

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  16. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

First and foremost, new owners who have some proper ambition to win silverware, 20 years and 1 paltry league cup of these profit before glory merchants we have now is long enough.

We don`t have a big club mentality, and that comes right down from the very top, it filters down to the players and the perception throughout the media, PL and FA is also one of a set up that does not operate as a big club.

17. PowerSpurs

I still don't get this argument. I have supported the club for nearly 60 years. The only owners in that period who have made any attempt at actually turning us into a big club are ENIC. Everyone else was satisfied with mediocrity provided we won a cup every 10 years or so. The problem ENIC had is that they inherited a mid table club with revenues only a fraction of the big clubs.
    To say they have put profit before glory is ridiculous. They have not withdrawn a penny from the club in dividends. Everything has been reinvested.

18. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Sol Campbell has left Southend so is available and knows the Spurs way of playing football

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You’re lucky this part of the forum is moderated mate <laugh>

20. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

I saw you said Chris Houghton as a possible candidate- so I thought we all could suggest stupid options :)

remembercolinlee, Spurf and Dier Hard like this.