1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who will be the next permanent Spurs manager?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spudulike, Dec 16, 2013.

?

Who will be the next permanent Spurs manager?

1. Fabio Capello

2. Michael Laudrup

3. Glenn Hoddle

4. Guus Hiddink

5. Frank de Boer

6. Tim Sherwood

7. Mauricio Pochettino

8. Marcelo Bielsa

9. Alan Pardew

10. Laurent Blanc

11. Louis Van Gaal

12. Cesare Prandelli

13. Roberto Mancini

14. Harry Redknapp

15. Other...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Sugar suggests SAF ought to come out of retirement.

As Spurs' appointments are always short term it might suit him for the next 6-12 months whilst he's at a loose end.

Alternatively, you're left with anyone prepared to ruin their reputation for a big pay-off in around 12 months time it would seem from Levy's past form.

Unless Levy backs a manager in the long term, the cycle of change will carry on. The constant turnover in staff, including players will not improve the chances of success. Spurs have only been top 5 because Redknapp brought together a very good team of players, most of whom have now left the club for various reasons. That isn't just a comment about Redknapp, it's advocating the policy of continuity where a manager is in place for at least 2-3 years, the core players stay together for a similar period and develop and improve and there is a sensible policy of recruitment in the transfer market. Until Redknapp's demise, there had been three and a half years of progression to a level above what the club had been performing at since the '80s, perhaps the '60s. If AVB wasn't the right man, he was strangely backed with a huge amount of money just 4-5 months ago and the legacy is that the new manager will have a squad comprising a significant number of still new players, who will probably not be those he would have chosen to buy, on big wages and who won't realise anything like the sums they were bought for if sold in January or in the summer. If the new manager is to do something different to AVB, then it is unlikely to involve many changes in personnel; it will have to be motivational and tactical. That's a big ask for any new manager.

2. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

I'll assume this is a wind up or a tongue in cheek comment. Anyone who listens to the Chairman who appointed Christian Gross for football management opinion might be better off getting advice elsewhere. SAF is done with the game. He won't come out of retirement even for United and why should he. He has nothing left to prove.

3. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Klinsmann.

4. Spudulike

Plenty of people have several times but just for the record once again… this is a non-starter as he has stated over and over, he does not want to the leave the USA. End of.

5. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

Because he's just signed a new long term deal with the USA team.

6. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Yeah 4 days ago, but what do contracts mean these days... When did Bale last sign a contract with you guys?

To be honest there are not too many names on that list that fit the bill and surely you will want to appoint someone 'long term' rather than until the summer.

7. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I think Sugar said it tongue in cheek, but there are other big name managers on the list of those touted for the job who might not be attracted too. They might look at Spurs and think that if being 7th, just behind the CL places is not good enough when a group of new players have barely become acquainted with each other, then just what is expected from a manager with a big reputation? Do you think Hiddink would fancy his chances of Spurs finishing ahead of at least three of City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd and Everton with Newcastle and Soton performing well too- especially with little time to change things and the £100M transfer kitty spent?

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Funny how that never occurred to him when he was hiring the likes of Gerry Francis or Christian Gross...

9. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

10. Spudulike

11. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

I too would take Hoddle back, certainly as a short term option for the rest of the season, I think he deserves another shot. I think the general consensus from his first spell was that our players were slightly intimidated by his ability and stature at the club, however there's no doubting that our current crop are bigger and better players than those we had back then (ie seasoned internationals in very good sides).

However, if Hiddink showed interest, we should move mountains to get him in. He's been my number one since the first cracks started to show in the AVB 'project'.

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

And have we EVER said we were a big club? Do we go around giving it large about 'winning the league' and how we're a bigger and better than Arsenal? no we don't, we are a fairly mediocre premiership club, just like you are.

13. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

You're not even that, you're a fairly mediocre Championship club on one of your flying visits to the Premier League.

14. Big Ern

lol, now I see your logic and why you think you're a big CL team, because once, a few years ago, you made it there.

15. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

Its got to be Gary Megson

16. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

I like mad dog too, but if you think the football was bad under AVB then I don't think Martins brand of hoofball will be quite up your street! (I do realise that this was not a serious suggestion), for what it's worth my opinion is that you must get a manager who has managed here before, but I wont upset fans of other teams by suggesting their managers, so as a completely off the wall suggestion I will go for Sven!

17. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

di matteo?

18. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

"now I see your logic and why you think you're a big CL team, because once, a few years ago, you made it there."

I thought doing that made us mediocre. Which other clubs are in the "mediocre" gang ??

19. Big Ern

Villa, Everton, Newcastle et al, it's also quite amusing that such a big club as yours would be so comprehensibly played off the park and humbled 3-0 at home to such a mediocre championship club as ours that didn't even have a striker on the pitch.

20. Spudulike