1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who will be the next permanent Spurs manager?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spudulike, Dec 16, 2013.

?

Who will be the next permanent Spurs manager?

1. Fabio Capello

2. Michael Laudrup

3. Glenn Hoddle

4. Guus Hiddink

5. Frank de Boer

6. Tim Sherwood

7. Mauricio Pochettino

8. Marcelo Bielsa

9. Alan Pardew

10. Laurent Blanc

11. Louis Van Gaal

12. Cesare Prandelli

13. Roberto Mancini

14. Harry Redknapp

15. Other...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Excellent post <ok>

2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Think Hoddle in the Academy/senior coaching setup would be great.
    But as manager : God no.

3. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

Can't believe people are seriously contemplating Hoddle.

As much of a legend he is his reign as manager was dark times.

I remember going to see Fulham at home and losing 3-0 to a Barry Hayles hatrick.

When the third went in he pulled off a midfielder and brought on a defender from memory - it was tragic.

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

You should be worried - last time you won a PL game against us you went down.

5. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Because sadly, when Harry got the axe, we finished 4th again and could be considered a squad capable of the same the next season, therefore attracting that type of manager. Now after selling our best players and rebuilding, we'll be lucky to get Europa League next season based on present form and results. So no manager of any real status will be wanting to manage a club that appears to be (yet again!) in some form of transition.

6. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

This is what happens when you hire the wrong manager, you end up sacking them at the worst possible period in the season and then resort to possibly bringing in idiots and I won't include Hoddle as he is a spurs legend and a smart man, but he is more suited to International football or coaching kids, and I understand why he would want to redeem himself with us in terms of management but he simply isn't an option.

7. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Hoddle would be the manager to most likely play Carroll i would imagine. Surely that makes him your no1 Boss? ;)

8. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Lol! Ah thats a good shout, I retract!

Although I remember Hoddle saying Simon Davies could be our first 20 million player so if he did get the job, hopefully he has learnt lessons!

9. humanbeingincroydon

Hoddle to replace Sherwood?

Seriously, is there any possible reason that doesn't sound like a good idea?

It's quite possible Davies could've been, if he didn't keep getting injured.

10. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

I actually liked Davies before he got injured, was a cracking player, I still remember the way our fans turned on him, that wasn't nice to see.

Sherwood or Hoddle, no contest but if that is the final, then that in itself is a problem!

11. humanbeingincroydon

I meant replace Sherwood in his Academy role!

And, seriously, what is an Assistant First Team Coach? That's a non-job title if ever there was one!

12. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

AH!, didn't see your earlier posts, Hoddle would be superb as Academy coach, and would be superb for being head of a national system similar to what happened in Germany when they set up soccer schools.

There are too many non-job titles in football, I think at one point we had a sporting director and technical director (or similar).

Hoddle has clearly decided not to return to management unless its with us, much like Keegan and Newcastle, they will always have a reason to return to such clubs.

Sherwood is a gooner and hopefully after all this will be moved on.

13. BazSpurs86

BazSpurs86 Member

Glenn Hoddle for me, forgetting that 3-5 loss to Man Utd I thought he did a great job with a very very average squad. I think that given the opportunity and coupled with his obvious maturity in management he would have picked up over the last 10 years I can't go beyond his name to be honest. He would certainly be easier to sign given his involvement at the FA the "only" full time job he is involved in.

What I won't do (as I've looked a right tit in the past) is claim that we have a right to a manager currently doing very well at another club, i.e., Laudrup and/or Pardew. I think we need to be careful not get egg on our faces by shouting these names out in a vague hope of getting them in as the next Spurs manager.

14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Will Naughton be used as Spurs manager if Sherwood gets injured ??

15. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It appears that we've talked to Murat Yakin, coach of our Swiss mates Basel, who knocked us out of the Europa League last season and did the double over Chelsea in the CL group stage in this campaign.
    We've been repeatedly linked with Mohammed Salah from the same club, who's currently being linked with a move to Liverpool.

16. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

The more i think about it, i honestly believe that it's going to be sherwood until the end of the season. I think all he needs to do is put together a few decent result whilst we "search for a new manager". If this happens, Levy will "stop the search" and continue with him IMO. I think Levy will hold off for as long as possible and his decision will be purely about money. - Sherwood being the cheap option.

(I use inverted commas above as sarcasm, a bit like when Levy "bid for Moutinho". )

Apparently AVB has had a £4 mill pay off, so with this in mind I expect us to not want to pay the compensation that comes with acquiring a new manager (in most cases).

I hope I'm wrong, because if this happens, it's well and truly one huge balls up. Our expectation is to secure a CL slot. Every game that goes by is 3 points we need in order to try and qualify, before we eventually run out of games. At the stage we're at, we need everything we can get RIGHT NOW, not in a few weeks time. It's irresponsible to have Sherwood in charge of the team if that's the expectation. He's got limited experience and cannot be shoved in at the deep end with something like this.

For me, if he is the one who continues until the end, it shows a total lack of ambition for the rest of this season which indicates that Levy has written the season off. - then comes the backlash from the fans.

You can't sack the manager unless you've got someone better coming in. As a club, and the direction we wanted to head in, we believed that AVB was the future. Now we've decided he's not, the person who replaces him has got to be a serious upgrade on both him and Redknapp otherwise the fans have every right to seriously question Levy, if they haven't got reason already. He has to pull off a master stroke and quickly.

However, i don't think this will be the case and I think AVB's sacking is just the start of the carnage we're about to witness.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Our last Swiss manager was top quality. <whistle>

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I thought that Christian Gross was a little hard done by, to be honest. Never really got a chance after his press conference blunder and wasn't given any time.
    Did a good job in Switzerland, both before and after, then moved on to Germany.

Yakin's out of contract at the end of the season, by the way, so he'd probably be pretty cheap.

19. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

another gamble though? As I've said before, money talks. As we all know, it's the way football works these days. Now is the time for Levy to pay it to someone of top quality. we have to make an improvement so the sackings of Redknapp and AVB are totally justified. Good luck, Daniel, you're going to need it.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I don't think that money's really the issue, though. Those that would be expensive to bring in would also be hard to persuade to join.
    Who's costly, worth it and attainable?