1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why did we lose Gnabry?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Dec 10, 2019.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50556045

Former Arsenal boss Wenger has suggested Gnabry's move to Werder Bremen was "manipulated behind the scenes" by Bayern Munich, who he joined after one season in the Bundesliga.

"We tried to extend his contract for a very long time," Wenger told Bein Sports, "He was always a very talented boy who lacked confidence in some stages, but we always thought we had a player who could achieve a lot."

Wenger may debate Gnabry's road to Bayern, but the forward's career at the Bundesliga champions - via a loan spell at Hoffenheim - has made him an important player for the German national team.

Not totally out of the question that Bayern could have conspired to get him. He was clearly a very talented player but when you're impatient and carrying injuries as a young man, your head can be turned. The few times he played for us i always thought he was very good. The murky world of player transfers...

2. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I saw him play for us a few times and thought he was very decent. I never thought he had the potential to show what he is currently showing now at Bayern. Also I thought he was way down the pecking order, there were a few players ahead of him, and the biggest mistake was sending him on loan to a Anti-Football rugby manager (Mr Pulis), he could not even get a game - Happy for the boy though!

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Well Wenger was convinced Walcott and Chamberlain were going to hit a 'next level' in their developement but they never did.