1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why do we support Ipswich?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Apr 13, 2021.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I've been asked again the question of why i still support Ipswich (if only i had a pound for every time i have been asked that question) - they get the same answer of "I've been a fan for 43 years, you just can't change your team"

I don't have any affiliation with the town, nor the county (i grew up on the mean streets of South London).
    I was wondering if there is anyone else out there, who are not part of the area, who started supporting the Town?
    I'm not too sure why i chose Ipswich, but my earliest memory is as a 6 year old, turning to my older brother, and telling him that i really hope Ipswich beat Arsenal (1978 cup final) - the rest, as they say, as history....

2. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

It appears we are of a similar age. I have an older brother who used to tease me alot. As he was an Arsenal supporter & the FA cup final was the only live footie back then, I supported the team they were playing against so became an Ipswich fan

3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I come from a strange family....have three older brothers, one Aston Villa, one Leeds and the other was Man Utd but now more Chelsea, so lots of fiery debates. was also kinda strange supporting these teams growing up in London (although i'm getting closer to Ipswich, as i'm now in Hertfordshire (Hertford)

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Why?

Born and grew up in Suffolk, family going back generations have been supporting Town. Could hear the roar of a goal from PR in my childhood home. School friends and friends of friends turning out for the side. The history of the Ramsey and Robson eras and wonderful atmosphere and players of the John Lyall and George Burley eras and rubbing shoulders with many of the greatest footballers on the planet.

Why still? As you say, you can’t change your team.

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I blame my Dad.He followed his local team wherever he lived.In the late 60s we moved from Essex to Ipswich and he started going to Portman Road.As soon as I was able to concentrate on 90 minutes of footie (about the age of 7 in 1973)I started going with him.We’ve followed the Blues ever since and had some real highlights,1978,’81 and the playoffs and low times 1975 Cup SF and the last couple of decades.

6. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Suffolk born and bred with a family full of supporters, started going as a kid at the very start of the Burley era and went to quite a few games a season culminating in getting a season ticket for a few seasons until I moved away from the area in 2007.... thankfully it seems I picked a good time to move away as I'm sure I would've wasted more of my money going to games.

7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

As a local lad from Stowmarket, it was very much the 'supporting your local team' factor and watching Town games with my Ipswich-mad grandad that made me decide to support Ipswich. My immediate family are not passionate about football at all, apart from my younger brother who also supports Ipswich - although he said he copied me! I still live in the area and typically go to games with a mate or two, although we haven't had season tickets for a few years now (and more of us went several years ago!).

Having hit the big 30 mark a few weeks ago, I think I'm still the 'baby' of the forum. Unfortunately, this means I've never seen the great Town teams of yesteryear, being a young lad around the Burley highlights in the late 90s/early 00s, which I can just about recall. I vividly remember the swashbuckling Royle sides and since then, apart from parts of Magilton's spell and the heights of the Mick years, I can't say I've enjoyed supporting us haha! But as mentioned, I honestly believe you can't really change what football team you support. I have the odd team here and there who I enjoy watching, but that changes depending on the manager/players.

8. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

grew up in Suffolk, just outside Ipswich, started going in the mid 70s with all the family. It was great football to watch. It wasn't or didn't,t seem to be about winning trophies at the time. (Clive Thomas saw to that) I seemed to have moved further away & am now in Cornwall. hardly get to see a game now due to some personal issues that have gone on. However every season I say I am not bothered , but unfortunately I cannot break away. As someone said on here "it's the hope that kills you"

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Credit to you nuggets for hanging in there. I’m not sure who has the most pain - those of us who were used to the high times and can’t accept the atrocities committed in recent times or the generation just after you who must be craving something more than a solitary League Cup semi final to celebrate.

Redruth likes this.
  10. itfcptc

If you're the baby I'll be the toddler then :emoticon-0102-bigsm, only a couple of years older but perhaps that makes me fortunate because I really started getting into football in that promotion winning side and am fortunate enough to remember the semi final games, the Wembley final, our season in the sun and the European games. Problem is it got me hooked and apart from Royles final season you knew 9 out 10 games even if we lost you'd be entertained. Since ME came in it has been awful apart from 1 season under Mick where we got to the play offs and even then the football wasn't great, we just relied on being solid and a striker in the form of his life.

I've said this before but if I was born 10 or so years later I don't think I would have followed football let alone supported ipswich if I'd started going under the ME era, we must've missed missed whole generation of fans

11. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I support Ipswich because I love Alan Judge and i follow him wherever he goes, i can't get enough of the guy and if I was a lady, i would want to have 10 children with him, I dread the day he retires but just hope that Barcelona sign him before that day comes. Then I will end up supporting Barça for the rest of my days and not the dross that surrounds Judge at the moment!

12. itfcptc

News doing the rounds is you no longer support the Town Spanish....

Spanish likes this.
  13. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Ipswich born, Portman Road became a childhood day out every now and then. Unfortunately missed all the best times, when my interest in football was limited to Manchester United and England. Didn't start following town properly again until Magilton took over.

Redruth likes this.
  14. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Judge looks to be on his way, he's not going to play any more this season so he can't implement a 1 year extension option.

15. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

Nooooooooooo <wah><wah><wah><wah><wah>

Buckyohare likes this.
  16. Spanish

Wahooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

First Evans is out and now this.

18. Spanish

Things are moving in the right direction at last, it's been a painful last few years but I think we are finally coming out of the darkness!

19. itfcptc

I do note however all the statements say Judge won't play for Town again THIS SEASON.... does that mean they just don't want to activate the contract on the same terms and conditions but could still offer him a new deal?

Judge certainly hasn't been able to show the form pre injury but this season he has probably been one of our more consistent performers (that's how bad we've been)

20. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Judge appears to play well when the game is nationally televised. Other than that, along with probably all the players, he is very inconsistent & because of his ability, fans including myself, expected far better things from him. There are a couple of mitigating circumstances. 1. He is constantly moved around, doesn’t seem to play in the same position for any length of time. 2. His son/daughter was very unwell and that takes its toll on anyone, no matter what you do. I know he threw his toys out the pram when he didn’t get his desired move to qpr