1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why is there a 93 day limit on emergency loans?

Discussion in 'The Championship' started by originallambrettaman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Anyone know?

I've just seen Sonny Bradley tweeting about his disappointment in having to return to play in our reserves on April 4th, rather than being able to get some more league football under his belt. It would obviously be better for us if he carried on until the end of the season, I'm not sure I see the benefit of putting a cap on the length of these loans.

2. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

In 2 years time we won't have these loans at all, so let's be grateful of them while we do.

3. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

It's a complete mystery. There seems to be no benefit to anyone having transfer windows, and they get all fussy and put strange rules like this in as if to encourage less and less transfer activity between windows.

4. citycityhull

citycityhull Well-Known Member

I personally like transfer windows, just think how bigger clubs or clubs with more money could unsettle teams with offers throughout the season. At least with windows after they pass the player has no real choice other then to get on with his job. My guess with the emergency loan thing would be that 93 games should be long enough for players to recover from most injuries (hence "emergency" loan).
    Personally I dont think you should be allowed to loan to equal divisions (ie prem to prem, ect) it should be either overseas (so no conflict with own clubs ect), or lower leagues to allow a pl;ayer development oppotunities, i think all wages should be covered by loaning club too, unlike Cardiff last years

5. x

x Well-Known Member

wow! i disagree with you on nearly everything you said there.

we had a hundred years of the football league with transfers whenever (except for a closed period at the end of the season) and it all worked fine before someone started tinkering and invented the windows.

loans should be allowed to same division teams. they are often made with intent to purchase when the transfer window opens. in many case if a player is playing in a higher or lower division that's a less likely scenario so a possibly fed up player wouldn't get away from his main club.

as to the paying of salaries, the way city had to send players out to get as much as possible off their payroll is going to be a common occurrence, and if the borrowing team can't afford or won't pay the full wages, clubs with financial problems will not have that way of lightening their load.

on the original question, i don't know.

6. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

We had a hundred years of the league without the sort of money that gets thrown around now, so yes, I also believe the windows are a good idea, if nothing else to stop unscrupulous managers/owners from unsettling others teams players.

7. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

You hear a lot of smaller club managers/chairmen saying that the transfer windows make it harder for them to keep hold of their players.

Personally I think it makes it harder for both the selling and buying club. Every year we're seeing less and less successful transfers in January. Look at Chelsea in 2011; £70 spent and they got Torres who can't attack any more and Luiz who can't defend.

8. City1904

City1904 Well-Known Member

You also hear most managers of smaller clubs bemoaning transfer windows, as look at clubs like Portsmouth and Port Vale now what they would do for the transfer window to be open so they could see a few players.

9. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

In answer to the question. The emergency loan is just that. It is different to a standard loan, simply There for emergency cover, whilst the standard loan is season or half season long. The main difference is that it can start at any time.

10. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just to add to that. We always had the possibility of them before the windows were introduced. The FA and FL have just been taking the piss out of the transfer window system by allowing them to continue and be used for normal transfers.

What's a more interesting question on this is why they took him on an emergency loan when the transfer window was open, when they could have signed him on a proper one and had him til the end of the season. And why did we let them, when he comes back here it'll be after the emergency loan deadline so we can't even send him somewhere else to get game time.

11. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Weird. Just like the McShane one to Palace.

The only thing I can think of in either case is that a long-term half season loan can't be recalled. Particularly in McShane's case, we'd need him if anything happened to Rosenior, Chester or Hobbs. Or on the flipside perhaps the loaning clubs didn't want the financial commitment of loaning them til the end of the season (again that makes more sense in McShane's case)

12. RicardoHCAFC

Forum Moderator

It's not the recall thing. Palace signed McShane for just over a month, either to check on him settling or in the hope of finding a cheaper alternative, but extended it to the end of the season on transfer deadline day.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~2575484,00.html

The possible exception to that is that it is possible to split the 93 days so it stops after a game one Saturday and say starts the next Friday so that you save 5 days. They might have done that with Palace on the basis the playoffs weren't going to happen for them so they finish in April. But then why not do the same with Bradley?

I can't see the finances being an issue for Bradley's loan either. We're now guaranteed to be paying all his wages from the start of April, why not send him til the end of the season and say if they want to cancel it then we'll just cancel it, like Cooper at Huddersfield. The only advantage to doing it this way is that Bradley is available for our first team (he could play for the reserves if he came back either way).

13. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

You can't just cancel a loan any more, the rules are very strict. For a long term loan it can only be cancelled within a transfer window and obviously if it's a half season loan then there isn't a window lying between the start and end of the loan which to recall it. In other words only a season-long loan can be recalled, and only in January (or emergency ones in accordance with the 28-day rule).

14. RicardoHCAFC

Forum Moderator

You can cancel it whenever you want if all 3 parties (both clubs and the player) agree to tear up the loan agreement. The player just isn't eligible to play in first team games for the parent club, or to join any other club until a transfer window opens.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15985621

What you can't do is on your own decide to recall your own players, or send players back to their club because you've had enough of them (you can, but you still have to pay their wages like Oldham did with Windass), but if everyone agrees there's no problem.

15. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

So, effectively, you can't cancel half-season loans.

16. RicardoHCAFC

Forum Moderator

Effectively you can. We did with Cooper and he was eligible for our reserves.

Please compare these situations:

Bradley joins them on an emergency loan. He has to come back early in April and will be able to play for our reserves. He won't be able to join anybody else. Unless we have at least 3 players get injured he won't be playing for the first team.

Bradley joins them on an loan to the end of the season. He can stay there all season and get games til the end of the season, or if it's not working out early in April we can all agree he comes back, and because we've all agreed to it they don't have to pay his wages any more. He can play for our reserves. He won't be able to join anybody else. He can't play for the first team.

Now I know I'm always complaining about our lack of depth, but in terms of Bradley there's been no reason not to agree a proper loan as it makes no difference, all it's done is cost him games out on loan.

17. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I'm not going to say there's a definite link, but isn't it ironic that the level of competition in the Premier League has fallen dramatically since the introduction of a 'transfer window'?

18. andy payton's mullet

andy payton's mullet Well-Known Member

19. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

That takes him to his 93 day limit, at which point he has to return to us, which is what generated this thread in the first place.

20. andy payton's mullet

andy payton's mullet Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I was just saying