1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why the SKY hatred

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Eireleeds1, Jan 3, 2021.

1. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

It is by me, **** Sly the robbing bastards

Irishshako and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  2. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

So in order to watch every Leeds game in the UK how many subscriptions do you need?

Irishshako likes this.
  3. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

I've got 2. I get BT through Sky, so for sky sports and bt sports end up paying £71 a month. Then paying Amazon Prime £7.99 a month.

Only sorted sky/bt a few days before the season, was happy with LUTV for the Championship.

esteponawhite and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I’ve got Amazon Prime and Sky so I’ve got two, I already had prime before they started getting into the football. You also need BT Sport but you do get that free I think if you’ve got their Broadband

esteponawhite likes this.
  5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looking at the Premier League table I bet a third of the teams would be worse off how many would subscribe to Fulham, Burnley and several others, you’d also only get the home games not the aways, the away games would be screened on the opposition platform so they’d probably sell daily passes at what £12 a game? You know we’d be ripped off for all the away games

I don’t think Sky Sports is bad value for money, I just had a quick look at the standalone price and it’s around £25-£30 a month depending on what deal and platform you use. I couldn’t honestly see any club being able to offer every home game live for cheaper than that and remember it would be home games only.

6. lifecheshirewhite

I see the Mormons have bought Burnley <yikes>

Irishshako likes this.
  7. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

Too many "m"s in there

Whitejock, Irishshako, OLOF and 5 others like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

So because Burnley and WBA would make less money is that a reason for not changing things. Theres a thing called market demand and why some shops are successful and some not so. The present set up is more like communism whereby everyone is the same and gets the same money. Free market economies are diverse and agile and therefore the fit get stringer and the weak die. Goodbye Burnley and WBA

LUTV and every club will do deals to ensure all their matches are available. WBATV will get more viewers by allowing big clubs fans watch their teams play at the Hawthorns etc as part of reciprocal deals

Irishshako, OLOF and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You wouldn’t get a subscription for under £30 a month and clubs would still earn far more through Sky. Millions more than going it alone, that £30 package that Sky charge for sports gets spread through every sport they broadcast. Even if they handed over the entire £30 clubs would go under. It’s the advertising revenue that Sky generates that pays the prize money. £30 might just about cover a clubs server and running costs with enough subscribers. Seriously mate, you do the math, the figures are not possible, you work out how many subscribers we’d need and what they’d have to charge to touch close to the Sky prize money not to mention parachute payments.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  10. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Hello, it's Elder Dyche

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I pay £113 for Sky, £5 for BT Sport, and would pay £8 I think it is for Amazon Prime but have access to that via my daughter's account.

I'd definitely pay through LUTV to watch home matches if I had the choice. As for away games I'd pay for those as well even though Leeds would not be the recipient. It's the same as paying at the turnstile.

Everyone would have the choice though as to how many games they subscribe to, depending on finances.

As for clubs with small fan bases, they'd need to be innovative and adapt to compete. That's always been the way anyway. Otherwise they'd just be replaced by the likes of Sunderland etc.

ristac likes this.
  12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

See my other reply mate, I would too but without Sky clubs would go under, it’s the advertising revenue where Sky makes its money. I just did a quick Google search, $4.79 billion Sky made in advertising.

£30 a month, 10 months £300.00 let’s say 50,000 fans subscribe, £15m a year, double the subscription to £60 a month £30m a year. Even at £120 a month we’d generate £60m a year, the figures are not there mate to make it viable and no way would we get 50,000 subscribers at £120 a month.

13. FORZA LEEDS

I know where you're coming from Ristac. I'm going by my original post on the subject that to make the figures work there'd need to be a complete reset re players' wages, transfer fees, agents fees etc.

Clubs would need to cut their cloth accordingly, surviving on gate receipts and tv monies received directly via their own platforms.

Doubt it will ever happen though.

14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It would be a huge reset mate, players would need to drop down to under £10k a week, I’d love it to happen but we’d be left with L1 quality football and top players would flock overseas, subscribers would drop as the football would be dross and there really would be a breakaway by the top 6

The income this country would loose on the tax on those wages would be immense, not to mention those players spending power in this country. It sounds good but the implications are far too great for it to ever happen.

leeds down south and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  15. FORZA LEEDS

You're right, it would definitely need to be a pan-European reset, that's why it probably won't ever happen.

When have that lot ever agreed with themselves about anything, let alone with us? <laugh> <wah>

16. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I don't like the quality of streams so would only use if I had no alternative, plus I have Norton on my PC and it keeps telling me most of Ell's sites are as dodgy as fck.

As I think Doc said, I wish I could pay my cash direct to the club, I do have a feeling I should be supporting them financially and would prefer it to be more direct.

I don't like Sky, when I left them it turned out they could offer me the same deal at half what I had been paying, so they can fck right off. Also I miss a lot (personal reasons) so its more cost effective to buy individual games on NOW TV.

Makemstine Roger and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  17. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

i stopped reading to to this point and felt i had to reply has anybody stopped to give a thought about the Genuine Leeds fan who hasn't got a pot to piss in, due to covid. Where is he going to get the dosh to pay for all these differing entities who stream football, when he has to count every penny to put food on the table. this time of year is for caring and sharing so without dodgy Russian streams, the clubs should have a system like means test if a guys struggling let him watch for free or at a minimal cost, those that can afford the streams good for them some cant even go to the pub to watch as they cat afford a beer and don't want to scrounge or have idiots laugh at them

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  18. Makemstine Roger

all the lower league teams have their own site for watching the match with the revenue they receive going straight to the club

Irishshako and OLOF like this.
  19. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

It used to be just Sky and you had to decide to pay them or not but now you need several services and probably more next time.
    A huge percentage of the money goes on player's wages so those who can ill afford the £100 a month pay to listen to the millionaire Marcus Rashford telling them how they need to pay even more in their taxes to feed hungry children.
    I would be quite happy for all the "talent" to fk off and then see how Fat Frank actually does against Bielsa.
    We've watched our team playing Rochdale and bloody Millwall recently so we can hack it.
    Money has ruined football.

20. Makemstine Roger

<applause><applause><applause><applause><applause>well said wish i could give you loads of likes for that comment

Irishshako and OLOF like this.