1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why Was Catts Subbed???

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Sunderlad, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Anybody know why, was having a great game and obviously look pee'd off when subbed??

2. ForkHandles

ForkHandles Member

Just before his subbing he made a couple of bad passes (a blind pass to center that got intercepted, and cross-field pass nowhere near anyone) which could have something to do with it.

3. SAFC_Derry

SAFC_Derry Member

Tactical change as we were chasing the game and had to become more attacking. Made perfect sense as it was better to lose by 3 than not have a go if you know what I mean.

4. Sunderlad

Fair point, though I would have brought on Giacherrini instead of Gardner.

5. JustMeMan

JustMeMan Well-Known Member

This spot on Derry

6. whitburnlad

whitburnlad Member

You may, like a lot of people, see Catts purely as a defensive midfielder (I don't). Even if he is, he's still an infinitely better option than Gardner whatever the state of the game.

7. JammySAFC

JammySAFC Well-Known Member

I disagree. Granted Catts is the better option for a starting place, not going to argue that one as i am a BIG fan of cattermole, we struggle without him, but Gardner has scored more goals than cattermole, therefore throw him on, more likely he'll score than catts.

8. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

This. Catts had never scored a single goal for us. Nuff said!

9. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

he ran his heart out for 70 minutes.

It was a tactical change, and I think Catts was knackered and we needed a fresh pair of legs in the middle.

Its the AJ sub I dont get.

10. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I don;t think this had anything to do with it. I think Gus just thought he had to change things going forward. Catts was doing a fantastic job in front of the back 4 and City never got close to a third when he was there - but we lacked a bit going forward so I think this was it. He makes a lot of brave decisions.

Although, according to the lad behind me, "Catt's you're just not good enough" apparently?!? (To which he received a bit of a barracking from the people around, led mainly by me!)

11. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

I think he was knackered (bad passes, could have got worse), and needed to push for an equalizer. Not sure why he took aj off, but never mind. Everyone played well.

12. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

he didnt track the full back from box to box which resulted in a free cross and a goal was scored ,but for gardener that left me puzzled when we needed to press ?,i dont think roy was very impressed

13. Shameless

Shameless Well hung member

He thinks the goal is 20 ft off the ground

14. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

He certainly isn't polished enough technically to call him anything but. He's doing well adding other aspects to his game but he's miles off being described as anything but a holding midfielder imo.

15. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

This..He had worked his socks off, but was obviously tiring rapidly and was fast becoming a liability..

16. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I dont understand why this question was even asked ? none of our substitutions had much impact on City who were well in command of the situation after the break, in all honesty we do not have the same strength in depth as City, this is blindingly obvious, but everyone of our players can be proud of how they played and the manager was superb throughout with his team selections, again well done to all concerned including our magnificent supporters. All in all it made you proud to belong to this town and club. Haway the lads.

17. Sunderlad

Just making a point that I think he should have brought on Giacherrini instead of Gardner, that’s why I had asked the question. ALL of our players were outstanding, I was not being dismissive of Cattermole just thought that he had one hell of a game. Giacherrini has a lot more attacking options than Gardner.

18. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Would love to see Giacherrini, Borini and Johnson as our front 3 when attacking. Sick of making excuses for Jozy and Fletch. Use them two from the bench you think ?

19. Sunderlad

Completely agree, I would like to see this against Hull on Sunday, let's try agility and manoverabilty rather than those two trying to control a ball and taking two to three touches to get in under control.