1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wigan Athletic vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Jul 5, 2020.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 8th July
    6pm Kick off

Previous Meetings;
    Games won: 9
    Games drawn: 7
    Games lost: 3

Ones to remember;

21 Jan 2012 Queens Park Rangers v Wigan Athletic W 3-1 Premier League
    12 May 2014 Queens Park Rangers v Wigan Athletic W 2-1 League Championship Play-Offs

Ones to forget;
    27 Aug 2011 Wigan Athletic v Queens Park Rangers L 2-0 Premier League

Players who have played for both;
    Ian Baraclough

1990 → Wigan Athletic (loan) 9 (2)
    1998–2001 Queens Park Rangers 125 (1)

Matt Jackson;

1996 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 7 (0)
    2001 → Wigan Athletic (loan) 7 (0)
    2001–2007 Wigan Athletic 160 (4)

Gino Padula
    2000–2001 Wigan Athletic 4 (0)
    2002–2005 Queens Park Rangers 90 (4)

Pascal Chimbonda

2005–2006 Wigan Athletic 38 (2)
    2011 Queens Park Rangers 3 (0)

Fitz Hall
    2006–2008 Wigan Athletic 25 (0)
    2008–2012 Queens Park Rangers 85 (3)

Marcus Bent
    2007–2008 → Wigan Athletic (loan) 31 (7)
    2010 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 3 (0)

Jason Jarrett
    2002–2005 Wigan Athletic 95 (1)
    2007–2008 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 2 (0)

Scott Sinclair
    2007 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 9 (1)
    2009–2010 → Wigan Athletic (loan) 18 (1)

Ben Watson
    2009–2015 Wigan Athletic 111 (13)
    2009 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 16 (2)

Leon Clarke
    2006 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 1 (0)
    2010–2011 Queens Park Rangers 13 (0)
    2015 → Wigan Athletic (loan) 10 (1)
    2019 → Wigan Athletic (loan) 15 (3)

Will Keane
    2013 → Wigan Athletic (loan) 4 (0)
    2014 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 10 (0)

James Perch
    2013–2015 Wigan Athletic 82 (3)
    2015–2018 Queens Park Rangers 74 (0)

Match Preview;

Wigan had a nice return to football, with three wins in a row before Saturday's 3-0 defeat against Brentford. This leaves them only 3 points behind us, with their top scorers, Dunkley and Moore both on 6 goals for the season. Hugill now has 15 for us, with Eze on 12 and BOS with 6. I was very encouraged by today, not just by the win against Boro, but also that we started to actually playing some decent football, and it was enjoyable to watch at times.

Not sure if there will be any team news on the official, only thought is whether or not Hugill will be out after his knock today. That said, we looked good with Chair on and so I would like to see him given the chance to get some more games under his belt...having watched him again today though, Chair is obviously very skillful, but does need to build his strength so he can hold off defenders a bit more.

Others can add what they know as always...but wanted to get the thread up before the working week kicks in.

2. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave.

Interesting to see the stats as my impression was we lost to them more than that.

They will be fighting for their survival so will not be a walkover.

Tramore Ranger and daverangers like this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Would it be wrong to have a bet via a Filipino bookmaker on this one? Got a tip from Rick Parry.

cheers Dave.

4. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Love to go, back to back.

Tramore Ranger and kiwiqpr like this.
  5. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

they all were so looking forward to a walk on the pier

6. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

Nice one Dave

daverangers likes this.
  7. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I always want QPR to win. The only exception might be if by losing we could relegate Chelsea. (Dream on, I know).

That said, I wouldn't be as gutted as normal if we lose this one now that we are safe. Got to feel awful for the Wigan fans who have been screwed be an awful owner and an inept EFL. Would love them to stay up against the odds.

8. daverangers

Agree with your sentiment, and they still have to play Barnsley, Hull and Charlton (all hovering around relegation) after us, before Fulham on the last day...so potential for four wins which should see them safe and also stick two fingers up at the stupid system that is potentially going to screw them over.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  9. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Like that. Go Wigan!

mapleranger and Tramore Ranger like this.
  10. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Please God, one day... <devil>

11. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I have just listened to the MW interview and it seems that Hugill will be rested tomorrow, irrespective of today’s scan results.

So who will lead our front line? Will it be BOS?

12. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I hope Oteh gets a chance. He looks more at home in the front man role than BOS does to me. I'd prefer BOS play wide, get wide of his back and get a good supply of crosses in for Oteh, Eze and whoever else Warburton plays, and Fills their Box with. We haven't been creating many chances since the restart because BOS has rarely done this, we aren't getting behind defenses much at all, and Hugill has been left too alone to do it all up front.

13. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I also very much liked the look of Oteh at Middlesbrough.

I would be very pleased if he started up front and showed us his true potential.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  14. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

But not tomorrow evening I thank you, anyone feel sorry for us when we got hammered by FFP no!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Sooperhoop, Totallyqpr, Ninj and 3 others like this.
  15. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

An entertaining preview well worth a read:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52585/asleep-at-the-wheel-–-preview

Asleep at the wheel – Preview
    Wednesday, 8th Jul 2020 11:44 by Clive Whittingham

Having snapped a run of three successive defeats with a win at Middlesbrough on Sunday, QPR are on the road again this evening visiting another of the EFL’s big success stories, Wigan Athletic.

Wigan (13-11-17, WDWWWL, 16th) v QPR (15-8-18, DWLLLW, 13th)

Mercantile Credit Trophy >>> Wednesday July 8, 2020 >>> Kick Off 18.00 >>> Weather – Grey and damp >>> DW Stadium, Wigan

We’re a funny lot.

Nine points away from the play-offs feels like from here to the moon, nine points away from the relegation zone and we’re packing our bags for Rochdale and Accrington next season.

Lose a couple of games in a row and the panic sets in immediately. We assume we’ll never win again, certainly never again this season, while a whole clutch of other clubs beneath us who’ve barely managed a point a game all campaign suddenly start stringing successive 4-0 wins together. The fact 50 points has been enough for safety in the Championship in 16 of the last 20 seasons is irrelevant because what about that time Blackburn went down with 52, or Peterborough with 54? The fact we’re third top scorers in the league doesn’t matter because we’ve also got the third leakiest defence.

A manager seen to be doing a very sound job not three weeks prior is suddenly no good. A squad we’d largely enjoyed watching for eight months is dismissed, bar one or two players, and we insist the entire roster must be torn up and replaced this summer – real easy to do that, of course. People start Tweeting online bookmakers asking for our relegation odds and when it comes back at 250/1 they back it. And oh my God Neil Warnock’s taken over one of the clubs below us (one of the 11), women and children into the lifeboats first.

And then we win a game, and the whole thing goes away again.

The panic isn’t totally without reason. Under both Ian Holloway and Steve McClaren QPR frequently turned promising performances, reasonably form and comfortable league positions into loooooong losing runs. Holloway endured three separate spells of six consecutive losses, McClaren’s team went from play-off contention at Christmas to one win in 16 matches. We do seem to enjoy seeing how close we can push conventions like the 50 point safety mark. We also have to aspire to better than getting to 50 points, finishing lower midtable, collapsing late season form once safe. But at the same time we’ve improved this season from last. We’ve won more games, scored more goals, played better football, are higher in the league. The Middlesbrough win was our seventh away from home, the best record since the 2013/14 promotion season. Relative to the pre-season expectations, when we had to completely tear the squad up and start again and lost several players like Luke Freeman and Mass Luongo who’d been very important to us, it’s been quite a successful season. Thankfully one scratchy win at Middlesbrough has allowed us all to draw breath and relax back into that point of view again. Until the next time.

stick and Steelmonkey like this.
  16. daverangers

We didn't have points automatically deducted though. Big difference, especially if it means you get relegated.

17. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

No but they wanted to! I know it’s tough to take but that’s life

QPR Oslo likes this.
  18. daverangers

It is tough to take, and I know I am a big softy, but the other difference is that we were in a mess because of mismanagement whereas it seems Wigan have been intentionally screwed over by their owner.

19. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Hope they can stay up if only to not save an even more dull team/town. ****ing drab away trip is Wigan.

20. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lot of chatter about peeps wanting Wigan to win tonight due to the way they've been screwed by their owners and the handwringing of those in charge at the football league.......bugger that hope we put them to the sword and pick up another away win.....