1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Sep 10, 2017.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

An excellent all-round performance against a very strong Wigan team who have at least five Championship-standard players. A very tight game with few chances but Payne tucked away the one sniff at goal he had and then we shut up shop in the second half and defended strongly. I am a bit disappointed we could not offer more of a threat on the break but the wingers were prioritising their defensive duties. I liked the look of Godfrey as he let Ogogo and Nolan have a bit more freedom to go forward. Hurst has built a young and hungry team who are more than the sum of their parts with everyone knowing their role. I don't think we will be top come the end of the season because other teams will start to take us more seriously soon and set up to negate our strengths. However, a top half finish looks probable and a play-off place looks a distinct possibility if we keep this up.
    Bring on Southend and Oldham! Come on you Blues!

Matster likes this.
  2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

An unexpected result and it appears to have got the confident Wigan fans grumbling.

Town played with pace and pressed for the ball regularly in the first half. Their biggest threats came from Toney and the winger. Oddly both of them were subbed off in the second half.

Henderson made some crucial saves to keep out Wigan and at one point looked to have injured a hand when he clattered with a players foot. Thankfully no damage appears to have been done.

As you mention it would have been nice to have seen more happen up front for town, however having Godfrey in front of the defense worked very well and allowed Nolan to work his magic up field. He has an exceptional way with the ball at his feet.

A very happy result for all and hopefully draws more to future games.