1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Willian Joins Arsenal - Official.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheBear, Aug 14, 2020.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

https://www.arsenal.com

The Brazil international joined the club from Chelsea as our first signing of the summer, and said our head coach played a key role in his decision.

"[I like] the way they play, everything is amazing - the stadium, and I think that with Arteta, Arsenal have a great opportunity to fight again for titles in the Premier League and in Europe so I'm very happy because of that," Willian told Arenal Digital.

"I'm excited to start. I can't wait to go on the pitch and do my thing to help my team-mates and to help this club to shine again. That's what I want.

"When I talked to [Mikel], the conversation was good, he gave me confidence to come to Arsenal. He said a lot of good things to me and that's why I have come to Arsenal."

Willian has played primarily on the right flank during his time in west London, so where does he see himself fitting in at his new club?

"Haha, that's a difficult question - I don't know! I leave that to Arteta," he said. "I come to help in every position.

"I can play on the right, I can play in the middle, I can play on the left side as well. So I want to help - in any position where they put me to play, I will try to do my best."

image.png

PINKIE likes this.
  2. TheBear

Also Edu saying '"Willian is the first signing in what will be a very busy summer for Arsenal" is super encouraging.

PINKIE likes this.
  3. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Great signing this.
    Should bring some much needed creativity and experience to our midfield, he scores goals too..
    Performed consisitently for Chelsea over the years and they didn't really want to lose him.
    Hopefully this will mean that we won't be getting Coutinho who is vastly overrated and hasn't achieved anything of note since leaving Liverpool, bit like Sanchez after he left Arsenal.

gooner4ever likes this.
  4. TheBear

Agree with the first part - completely disagree with the second part. Coutinho's has still produced to a high level since leaving Liverpool.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Good signing this. He'll bring a creative spark that's been missing from our midfield and he also scores goals too which we desperately need more of form MF. It's good that he can play two or three different positions as that allows us versatility and allows us to mix things up during a game. He's on an eye watering £220k per week apparently, but with no transfer fee I suppose we can afford to do it that way (despite laying off 55 staff)

Overall a very solid signing and one that will definitely strengthen us. <ok>

TheBear likes this.
  6. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

It was a shame to see him go to be honest. But as soon as we signed Ziyech, his days were numbered.
    He is still a decent player, even at 32, and you may get a good season or two out of him, and the fact that he was free makes him a good signing for you.
    I wish him well (except when you play Chelsea of course :p)

gooner4ever likes this.
  7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

And whats with you buying all our ageing players these last few years?
    First Cech, then Luiz, now Willian
    I think you tried to sign Drogba when he went to Turkey too.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I don't think Drogba would ever have come to us, we ****ing hated him as he always scored against us.

Cech had a decent career with us after he came. Luiz is, well Luiz. Brilliant and calamitous in equal measure.

I think Willian will do well. He'll get lots of games as he's so versatile and we are badly lacking a creative spark in MF given that Ozil might as well just get paid £350k per week to make the tea.

9. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Free transfer is just that. The fees for agent and signing a contract are extra. What the Daily Mail (the source of the £220k per week story) have done is add the signing and agent fee to his basic wage and then added any performance bonus on to a basic wage of £140k.
    if he had joined another team the DM would have reported his wage as £140k - but there does seem to be an anti Arsenal agenda here

10. TheBear

Well we had one ot the youngest squads in the league again this year.
    A few experienced players are needed.

11. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Willian is fine as a free signing.

I question a 3 year contract though. How helpful is he really going to be at 34 years of age?

12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I thought that was odd too. He'll be 35 in 3 years! And you'll be paying a 35 year old 220k a week!
    I would have gone with two years

13. TheBear

I agree a 2 year deal would have been better - however this way we can probably get a larger transfer fee if we do sell him on after a year or so.

14. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

Guys if he is as fit and playing as well as Ronaldo is at 35 we will have ourselves a bargain, and we will look to extend the contract!

15. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Willian is good, but Ronaldo he aint!! Still think you'll get a good season or two out of him tho

gooner4ever likes this.
  16. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

Don’t think so either, but making a point that you can still be playing at the top of your own game even at 35 - of all the Chelsea players over the last few years he was the one I hoped wasn’t playing against us, I thought he damaged us more than Hazard.

17. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I take it you didnt go to Baku then? :p

18. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

apart from ‘that’ game then

anyway how was the FA Cup :)

Bodinki likes this.
  19. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0173-middl

:emoticon-0109-kiss:

gooner4ever likes this.
  20. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Have to say that I am not enthused about the squad right now. We seem to have a lot of young players and not a lot of real stars.

How many international players that play for their country do we have? We can be bullish on youth, nothing wrong with that, but apart from blind optimism (something I am accused of all the time) I just can't see any reason to think we will do well this season. The lack of money and notoriety from missing out on CL football is really starting to bite, and we don't even have the drawing power of Wenger anymore.

Pray to your god(s) people because that may be our best hope this year, certainly better than thinking Willian is going to carry us!