1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Win one, lose one.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Well that wasn't too clever. Outplayed, outrun, out muscled by a tougher, grittier, more direct and determined team. Apparently no one told Saints that Chelsea were supposed to win. They were obviously not overawed by the Ferraris and Bentleys choking the players car park and dwarfing the sole mini.
    A casual observer could be blamed for thinking there is a softness lurking just below the surface of this team. One game we are Fu Fighters, the next we're The Easybeats, and we can't put two good performances together at the moment. Poor old Frank is sounding like a broken record with his after match reports, what we need to fix etc etc.It's just that the players are not responding as they should.
    Only Willian and Kante seemed to have any consistent urgency or mongrel in them, the rest were flat and insipid.
    On a serious note, we really do need a better left back, RLC in top form in the midfield, and an upgrade up front.
    I suggest Frank introduces a fine system for slow sideways and backwards passers, it looks to be our default position at the Bridge. Oh well, Arsenal away next, should be our turn to win, so here's hoping.

Now for Arsenal. Who's in and who's out?

Out should be easy, CHO, Emerson, Abraham, Tomori. All poor to very poor recent form. . Dave must also be close to being dropped, but we have no back up. Jorghino is looking less effective than usual, too much back passing and sidewards for me, so he's gone from my team.
    Which leaves me with this for your consideration and criticism.
    Kepa, Reece James, Rudi, Zouma, Dave
    Kovacic, Kante, Mount
    Willian, Pulisic, Batman.

No doubt the Abraham fans will be horrified, but no goals and not even enough shots on goal for too many games, plus spending half the last game on his arse or being dispossessed, says he's struggling and needs to be dropped. Frank has been more than fair with game time for Tammy, time to give others a chance now. Tammy has started 17 out of 18 games I think,, and he's done bugger all expected of a striker the last 6 or 7 games ,which is to score. Everyone else would has been rotated for that kind of form. Tammy needs to be reminded he has to earn his place as well, and he hasn't.
    Tough love. Time Frank took the kid gloves off and kicked some of the arrogance and slackness out of some of the team.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    BobbyD likes this.
  2. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Good points there CP this is an absolute joke; the occasional slip is understandable but the procession of lame performances against the footballing colossus’s of West Ham, Bournemouth and Southampton suggest an increasing soft underbelly against a bunch of “workmanlike” sides who hang deep. It seems the January sales can’t come quick enough only problem quality tends to be in short supply esp when we have a shopping list for defender, playmaker and forward; a tough one for Frank to solve but on present form we’ll be lucky to make the top 6 let alone the top 4.....Bayern must quaking in their boots.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

It can only be attitude Liquidator, the players not doing it now have shown they can when they get up for it. Everyone of them is brimming with talent, and the kids should be as fit as bulls at their age. I wonder if say, CHO, has been blindsided by getting so much money so early, and psychologically thinks he's "made it" ?
    There are excuses for Tammy, the midfield has slumped in form and delivery , and maybe he simply needs to be benched for a game or two to re-spark. His general play is better, so it's not just effort. Tomori is learning fast, but making slip ups. That's all to be expected I guess. It's also likely that there is some conservative "safety first" attitude developing as our success at reaching top 4 sinks in. Anyway, a couple of new faces in key positions, and an even amount of game time for everyone else, should see us back to Spurs form on a regular basis.

4. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

Traditionally the Christmas period is not a good one for Chelsea. It appears we are confirming to tradition.
    I agree though, the team needs a bit of rotation and some more than others need a firecracker up their backsides. Pulisic has looked keen, Hungary and eager to play. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder for some reason, but if that keeps him playing the way he has recently then he can keep it.
    I’m hoping for a win against arsenal today. Their defence is worse than ours.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  5. Chelsea Pensioner

Well that really was a game of 2 halves.
    First half was absolutely dreadful. Slow, ponderous, lacking energy, creativity, no one looking to run, all sideways and backwards and giving the ball away.
    Franks' set up with wing backs only works if the wing backs actually run. Emerson was as static as a statue and has surely shown he's simply not good enough. Dave looked too slow for a wing back role too. Kante had an absolute shocker and Tomori was poor. Meanwhile Tammy flapped and fumbled his way through 45 mins with no decent delivery, and Willian was rissoled and shoved all over the shop.
    Second half took a while , but once Tomori was hooked, the new kid showed what a bit of running and thinking can do and suddenly we were all over Arsenal like a rash.CHO put in a vastly improved effort and looked sharp and dangerous. Jorghino scored a flukey goal after surviving a really dumb attempt to get himself a red card and Abraham scored the kind of goal he has been missing for weeks. Chelsea were dominant and aggressive and looked like the team of 4 or 5 weeks ago. God only knows what will happen next game, but 3 points earned the hard way and well done for that.

6. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Agree CP, Tammy was isolated first half and superb second half.

His dummy from CHO's pass was great. And his movement for Lamptey's pass was superb.

Lamptey was great when he came on but RJ will stand in his way

7. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Great to do the north london double<laugh>........Work in progress,everybody on a learning curve including the manager.
    Enjoy the highs!!!.....I can't remember being so excited about the potential of our team.

Naas Blue likes this.
  8. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Fantastic times :)

9. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

yep.....Happy new year mate!!<cheers>

10. CFC: Champs £launderx17

And you ACB.
    UTC.
    KTBFFH

armchairblue likes this.

11. Chelsea Pensioner

Where do these kids keep coming from?? I used to watch a lot of the kids when I lived in Chelsea, and saw most of the current crop, plus Chelobah and a couple of other escapees, and have always been a big fan. This youngster Lamptey have never even heard of and he was terrific. Playing like that in that atmosphere was impressive. Tomori struggled a bit, tough for him when he's being shifted all across the back line, he looks in need of a boost in confidence. Bloody Foxtel (Sky in Oz ) have stopped broadcasting Chelsea TV so it's hard to keep up.

12. Naas Blue

Naas Blue Well-Known Member

Amazing to think that we are 5 points ahead of 5th after such indifferent results.
    Looked up table after 21 games last season...We were also 4th with 44 points (8 extra) and 3 points more than 5th. Basically i think this indicates that 1... apart from top 3 the rest of the league is bang average
    and 2....i have too much time on my hands !!! Happy New Year all.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Cho has fallen off a cliff. That injury or the contract has affected him and his dribbling as well as that burst he has isnt there for whatever reason.

Tammy is so hit and miss. At times i see sublime touches and great hold up play. Then theres games i see him get bullied off the ball and he constantly loses it. Maybe thats just down to inconsistency from being a young player.

It certainly is a concern though this lack of form. Luckily for us the rest if the top 4 challengers are messing up too but we surely cannot keep this up