1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winchester - the best is yet to come

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jul 31, 2021.

1. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

to be fair to all here, i think a good few had been wondering why winchester was brought in, limited with game time and never really looking settled despite some odd glimpses 'of a player'...i am pleased i am not the only one who has seen the change in him so far this season, looks as if he feels more a part of the squad if you know what i mean.

over the moon for the lad, seems to be playing his natural game now...wonder if this is just down to LJ or the newer style of play or maybe the players around him now, or maybe all three?

Young Ted likes this.
  2. dred

dred Well-Known Member

Likes a pint in Plainsy club i hear. Canny craic an all.

3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He's Irish so I can believe all that.

dred likes this.
  4. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I imagine he would give a different answer if you asked him about Winchester, now.

To be fair, Winchester had hardly been a world beater when he made that comment and plenty held reservations about him before the season kicked off.

5. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

It just shows why we need to reserve judgement, for a reasonable time, on Johnson's judgement.

These players are now properly scouted and judged while playing in teams they're used to with familiar players and systems ...

... I've seen for decades people wanting to appear perceptive by declaring players 'shyte' after half a game.

I noticed a few dismissive comments about the keeper which people should expect to have stand by.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  6. dred

dred Well-Known Member

I never call a player shyte for fear my post will be bumped later :)

7. Smug in Boots

<laugh>

If it's someone, like Grigg, who doesn't put in the effort and shows no signs of improving then fair enough ...

... but these young lads are keen to play and keen to learn.

They deserve a little patience imo.

8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I did note a couple comments about the Hoff, but I didn’t comment on them as they all seemed ‘looked a little nervy at times but we will give time’.

That’s absolutely fine (and accurate…), have these new owners made such a change that even the fans have shifted? That would be a wonderful thing.

Again, the mood in the stadium, when they equalised it was instant encouragement. It’s an absolute weapon for the lads after years of it being a weight.

I think with Winiesta, we’d seen flashes in midfield (Pompey away in particular he was superb), but there wasn’t an obvious slot there for him.

At RB, he looked ok first game, good second, comfortable 3rd, then great then yesterday superb.

I hope he likes it there and you can see him buzzing off the crowd. I really think we are already seeing the benefits of the clubs looking at players mentality, like all top clubs do the lads heads never drop.

Actually yesterday was the longest period I’ve seen us knocked out of our stride this season after they scored. It was 8-10 mins and we were still comfortable throughout.

Winchester is in the LON mould, he will just crack on and play. You can’t have too many. Credit to the lad.

Looks capable of playing Championship at RB as it stands.

Oldsandy, Guy Incognito, dred and 4 others like this.
  9. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

got to hold my hands up here, he was great yesterday, he's proving me wrong with every game.

dred likes this.
  10. dred

dred Well-Known Member

To prove your point, there was a couple giving Neil grief even though he was playing out of position. Thank god the critics that he had did not knock his confidence.

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is in the nature of football fans, to criticise rather than praise... although I think we all know praise often works better in producing a good performance. There was a discussion in an earlier thread about how fans always seem to need a scapegoat.

On that topic I wonder how the arch knocker Piers Morgan feels now? When Emma Raducanu had a panic attack at Wimbledon, he piled in calling her a choker and worse. I bet her team including presumably a sports psychologist has helped her to perform as she did yesterday...up yours Morgan..

Woody, Nordic, Robertson and 5 others like this.
  12. Smug in Boots

There's an old thread on RTG, from some clown, pulling Kane to pieces and calling him a flash in the pan ...

... it's bumped every time he scores <laugh>

13. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Yeah iirc he was just going to be a one season wonder! I guess its a pretty long season then!

Guy Incognito and Smug in Boots like this.
  14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Lad I know when Ronaldo signed for United (first time round) said ‘defenders would get used to his step overs soon enough and they’d be able to stop him’ or words to that effect.

Aye.

15. Smug in Boots

I honestly think the Mags have turned into Adolf and his mates in the Führerbunker when the Russians were coming ...

... they've so totally lost the plot that they can't see reason and are just spouting nonsense.

According to 'The Mag' report 'United were there for the taking' <laugh>

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

To be fair United left themselves open to attack.

Teams often do that when they know they’ve got a game won no matter what <laugh>

Smug in Boots likes this.
  17. Smug in Boots

In all honesty United were the Harlem Globetrotters yesterday ...

... danced around, entertained the crowd with a win but barely broke sweat in reality.

Nads likes this.
  18. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

I’ve got my first season ticket in about 10 years this season and I’ve noticed the atmosphere in the stadium is now way more positive than it used to be.
    If passes go astray there’s no longer negativity. I really think the fans are now more on side than they have ever been. After the equaliser yesterday the fans got right behind the team and I think the players are feeding off that. As long as we can see effort on the pitch the fans will get behind the team. Over the last few years I don’t think we’ve always seen that effort from everyone on the pitch. Plenty were just going through the motions

19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Aye it’s completely shifted mate, I was worried when we were slow out the gates on the transfers it might be poisonous but from the first game, when we hadn’t done the deals and we went behind early, it’s just been markedly different.

I think for once the overwhelming majority have bought in and the voices online were just that, voices online.

You can see it in the players as well through, setbacks don’t last. It’s great to see and we should be a massive asset not a weight.

20. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's by Hong Kong Phooey. Kane now has 41 goals for England, leading scorer in the last world cup, 4 goals in the Euros, but he still doesn't back down and admit he was wrong, which is why it gets bumped (or used to, I never go on there any more).

We've only got to look at Kirchoff being written off after 1 game to show it can take a little while for someone to click.

samwise_new likes this.