1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winchester

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Wolfy, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Proved tonight he’s exactly what we didn’t need. Offers absolutely nothing different to what our current plodders offer. I literally have no idea what LJ’s thinking behind this signing was, it was obviously we were lacking in creativity and goals from centre mid, but instead he brings in another ‘tidy’ footballer who likes to sit back. Bizarre.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Bit early to be writing him off isn't it? He's played two games. Can't say I paid much attention to him before he arrived but his reputation is supposed to be built on making runs from midfield. Got to give him a chance, at least.

3. Mackem74

Mackem74 Well-Known Member

I agree but first impressions are that hes not an improvement or offer anything different. The fact hes 27 and played his career at a low level of footbal suggests hes probably very mediocre

Makemstine Roger and Wolfy like this.
  4. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

He was poor but give the lad a chance, 10 games and I will judge him. There was far worse on the pitch and that’s the problem, there are far too many average league 1 & 2 players in the squad. Like I said in the match thread we need 5 or 6 quality players or it’s a 4th season in this league. The wage cap is dictating the quality of player we can sign, need to get some of the dead wood out

5. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Give him a chance. The middle of the pitch was a swamp tonight. Scowen clearly had licence to go forward and he sat. At times in second half he tidied things up ok. Not a good debut but it was in a poor team performance. I can only think of Sanderson and Diamond that scored 6 or above tonight...

6. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

It is far too early, but it's a worry when we've got a load of one paced, mediocre central midfielders and then we sign a lad who has been in league two when he's 27. I mean, any time you sign someone from a lower league people say "what about Phillips, what about Vardy". They're obviously massive exceptions though, and even then Phillips was banging in championship goals by 23, Vardy was in the championship by 25. I know we don't need Premier league quality or owt, but if a player is still in league two at 27 it's unlikely he's going to be a massive upgrade unless you really do have a recruitment team with an eye for a bargain. He might be fine, he might be competition for Leadbitter, he might (should) be better than Dobson. We're painfully average though , we need to be bringing lads in so are better than what we've got. Is that him? I hope so, but I doubt it

7. Yes but no but

Yes but no but Well-Known Member

Honestly I’ve just said to my mate. Regardless who the manager is, comes in and signs plodders. I honestly think we are cursed! Johnson talks about high pressing, being energetic and we are the opposite and he stands on the touch line with his hands in his pocket!

8. The Norton Cat

He's played 8 seasons in League 1 and 5 in League 2. He should be fine for where we're at now. He might turn out to be a poor signing and he's done nothing earth shattering yet but deciding he useless after 2 games is just a knee jerk reaction.

9. Yes but no but

Yes but no but Well-Known Member

Exactly mate. I just don’t get it, mate

10. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

Are we turning into NUFC supporters - just wondering like

11. Guinness Guzzler

I'm just frustrated that we never seem to buy upgrades. I'm a bit pissed so fully accept being miserable after the result mind. But still, we've got loads of strength in depth. If Leadbitter can't play the holding role we can let Dobson do it, Power can do it. If that means moving Power from right back then **** it, when all are fit we've also got Sanderson, McLaughlin and O'Nien who can do it. So when we're not doing great in the league and need something more, especially going forward, do we really need to be spending wages on a holding player from league two? If Dobson leaves then maybe it makes a bit more sense , but I still want to see incoming players who are definite first choices, we don't need more depth, we've got plenty of depth already

12. Guinness Guzzler

No, theres a difference between expecting to be challenging at the top end of the Premier league and saying that being bang average in league one is a ****ing disgrace. There's no comparison at all, it's a weak attempt to belittle genuine concerns

13. The Norton Cat

He's clearly not got off to a flyer but his performances so far haven't matched the write-ups you can find about him online. I reckon he's got to be given more of a chance to get up to speed.

14. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

2 games man howay

15. The Norton Cat

I get what you're saying. The impression I got was that he wasn't a holding player. But, like I say, he wasn't really on my radar before he arrived. Maybe he'll show us a bit more after a few games. Who knows? Maybe I'm just still in optimistic mood after Johnson arriving.

16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'm not going to single anyone out too much because when the performance is bad as a whole it takes a special player to rise above it and not look ****e and there aren't many of them at this level.

Having said that I'm dubious that he's an upgrade on O'Nien who should be playing there when fit.

17. Guinness Guzzler

No one that I can see is really slagging the lad off though. More debating whether that's the kind of signing we needed. Do you think he's going to be better than Leadbitter? Do you think we really needed a holding midfielder type? We are currently failing miserably, we don't even look certain for a play off spot, and signing a lad who is unlikely to be a major upgrade on what we've got, when we're fairly well stocked for players who can play the role, have a wage cap limit and really need more going forward, seems a strange move. Its too early to write him off as a player, but is it too early to suggest that, regardless, he's likely not what we needed? I'd say not. That's not the kind of midfielder we had a need for unless he was so good we simply couldn't turn him down. The fact he's 27 and was still in league two suggests he's unlikely to be a leading league one player in that position

Makemstine Roger and Wolfy like this.
  18. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

If we were we'd have been kicking off years ago instead of waiting until we are a midtable third division club

19. 7Mackem78

7Mackem78 Well-Known Member

He's played a total of 90 minutes in his time here. Think I'll reserve judgement.

safc-noggieland, Iain, Saf and 3 others like this.
  20. Guinness Guzzler

This. Now, if he's cheaper than Dobson, we flog Dobson for a fee, and we reinvest the wages on a player who actually improves us then I'm all for it. I'm sure he'll be decent, I'm sure he won't offer less than Dobson does. If he's just an addition then it's bafflin . Again, not because of the lad himself but because that's not an area we had any need to "strengthen"