1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winter News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Church is 29 years old and 6ft tall and has played in his career 281 games and scored 49 goals....so not prolific scorer....if he was I expect he wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be able to afford him.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

PAFC are interested in signing 21 year old Callam Mendez-Jones....a right-back, a non-contract Hednesford Town player....Luton and Crewe are also interested in him.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Not sure he has been brought in to be a prolific scorer - the team isn't set up like that any more- if he stays fit he will be a big asset. I have afeeling that Scunny may have done us a bit of a favour similar to what we did with Toumes for Fleetwood.

4. lyndhurstgreen

So that's your two sorted out, anything else anyone?

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A win tomorrow and an exciting midfield general would be good. If you have turned into the football fairy then off you go and sort it.

There is a bit of scoffing at Church signing given he didn't before when he could have. I don't go along with that myself. Footballers have a choice sometimes and make what is best for them at that time. If he was better off at Scunthorpe then so be it. It's what he does now he has signed that counts. My jury is out as always until I've seen them in anger.

6. lyndhurstgreen

I probably shouldn't say this but I am a bit irritated about the reaction (mainly in other places) to this signing. Had he signed for us at the beginning of the season then I suspect that the reaction might have been different. He is a bleedy good footballer (or so I have been told by several people). I don't get the argument that because 'he turned us down' for Scunny then we shouldn't welcome him. I for one am quite excited about this. Even the opinion from Scunny is that we have got a good player.
    As for a midfield general .....well I think that could be Ness though there is plenty of time left in the window......:emoticon-0105-wink:

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Smack in a goal or three and all will be forgiven no doubt.

8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Some adverse comment out there about the fact he turned us down the first time. Bit silly really: football is a business and players have very short careers to make the most of. As someone said, score against Wigan and that will be quickly forgotten....

9. notDistantGreen

I'm not now sure I have had either of my wishes granted.

Is Church a similar player to Taylor? Doesn't make him a bad signing if he isn't (although where will he play?) but if he isn't, then we still need a like-for-like cover. Adams' preferred style seems to require an effective target man.

Also with Edwards sidelined temporarily, is Vyner seen primarily as a RB or as a CB?

No complaints about the signings in themselves but given the departures, looks as though we could do with 2 or 3 more.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Another true football gentleman Jimmy Armfield has died at 82 years old.....could of probably been picked for the World Cup Final in 1966 against W Germany but for injury.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Torquay look doomed for relegation from the national league....My local team Bromley seem to enjoy playing by the sea....won 4-0 Saturday and two seasons back they won 7-3 at Plainmoor.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I thought at one stage that Torquay might just claw their way out of the doo doo. Not to be I think and they do look doomed now. Shame because Devon needs as many football sides as it can get and I can see Torquay going out of business if they go down. They won't bounce back or stay professional either I think. Not looking good and a miracle isn't happening.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There must be some money men around the Torbay area that could at least save them from extinction.....Fleetwood come to mind....aren't they also stuck away from mainstream football....but they had the luck of discovering Vardy plus a sugar daddy of course.....must be a nice weekends destination for football fans.....got to be better than a weekend at Millwall or Grimsby.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Jordan Bentley has broken a leg during training.

15. notDistantGreen

I saw that earlier: someone saw the ambulance at the training around noon.

How many of you saw this quote from Derek Adams regarding Saturday's match and Ryan Edwards' illness:

“He was at the game today. You could see that the fans are going to support him. The players 100% will support him. I had to tell them on Thursday. It wasn’t an easy time for anybody, but we’re there for him and he’ll get the best possible medical help here as well.

“This is a very caring football club, and it’s a football club that support their people. We’ve seen that today. We’ve seen that by the turnout and the support towards Ryan. That’s why I look at any player coming to this football club, and any player that thinks that they might want to move on from this football club; they should maybe have a wee think again.

We’ve got a fantastic support. I stood there on the touchline today thinking: ‘why would any player want to move to somewhere where there’s only 3,000 or 4,000 people at a game?’ The only reason for that is money.”

Who's that a swipe at then? Toumani Diagouraga?

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So does that mean Derek Adams doesn't really believe that Diagouraga moved back north to be nearer his family....that it was always the money that drew him there.
    If Argyle had offered the same money and length of contract would he still be here.....families can be moved to where the job is....happened with my father whilst in the RAF.....we where moving every 1 or 2 years.....in fact I went to 9 different schools during my school years....makes you wonder what is more important a settled family life or chasing the big buck for football families.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

On a different note Sanchez 600k a week.. Football is finished offering this amount to a player.. Overated and well over paid..

The sport needs to get real,,,

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I haven't read that anywhere but if it's true with the 600k then that is just beyond anything. It just beggars belief doesn't it. If these pill brains want to kill football then by doing what they are doing finance wise it will surely fall on it's ass. This is a working mans sport. No matter how many sugar daddies get involved it is still our game. Start paying the stars the sort of money that is worse than obscene then the people who follow it are just gonna kiss it goodbye.

As for Adams comments I'm not so sure they are pointed at anyone except the football world in general. I think what he is saying to players in general is come here because this is a club worthy of supporting and working for, I actually don't think it is any better than most other clubs but we are generally a sentimental lot and we do seem to care.

19. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Yep i read that some place yesterday but if its true its a total Disgrace, surely one of these clubs will go bust if it keeps up..

Its pricing the working man out of watching it and then they want them to subscribe to the TV channels to watch it instead so they can feed the big wigs ..

I love the game but had an offer of a ticket for a champs league game and the cost was..... 175.00 ... tempted but had to decline as its a disgrace..

Rather go to watch the chiefs for 25.00 <laugh>

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'd rather watch Plymouth Albion than pay that Joe. In fact I'd rather watch Exeter City...........

When you consider that somebody taking home £25k a YEAR is probably on an average or slightly better wage. To get to £600k they would have to work 24 years. So this guy earns as much in 2 weeks as most can earn in a lifetime of work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.