1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winter News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I'm also surprised although he hasn't been getting much game time and most of what he has had has been spent within a 5 yard radius of a corner flag! It seems he asked to go as he wasn't playing regularly.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Had his most successful times at Colchester....maybe the groundsman complained about having to replace the turf around the corner post after every home game.

His contract runs out in the summer...so I'm not sure what to read into his 'loan' time back at Colchester....I assume they couldn't afford a small fee to make it permanent.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Scott Wootton goes to Wigan on loan for the rest of the season.

Is Lowe cutting the wage bill to bring in a late minute Defender who cost more to loan.....just a thought.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Was not expecting Nouble to go out but if he is a complainer rather than a fighter then probably for the best. Wootton was a poor secret so no shock there.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A lot of praise elsewhere for Ryan Lowe's transfer window dealings.....but I do feel that we are a central defender short.....and one with experience as well....we could be stretched in defence if we pick up any injuries.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So the January window changes.

IN

!.....Ryan Hardie...becomes an Argyle player no longer on loan....good bit of work there.

2.....Adam Lewis...a wing back on loan...looks promising but needs to be careful regarding bookings.

3.....Nial Ennis...also looks promising ...could be a good first change striker.

4.....Sam Woods...defender on loan...no league experience and therefore an unknown.

So three of these have no experience really at all...so fingers crossed that they come good.

OUT

1.....Niall Canavan...defender... experienced..has served us well but with limitations at Div 1.

2.....Dom Telford...experienced..but always looked lightweight...injuries last season held him back I don't think we ever saw the best of him.

3.....Frank Nouble...experienced...gone out on loan until his contract expires...an experiment that didn't really work.

4.....Scott Wootton...defender...experienced...bur personally a cock-up waiting to happen at times...gone on loan to Wigan...he'll get overworked there.

This leaves us with a far younger squad and our defence with only Aimson with any experience....and then there is Sawyer who has experience but is surely in his last season...will he get any game time other than through injury ?

Ryan Lowe himself was a forward and I think it shows in his squad....defensive wise we're lacking a leader and experience....90 minute concentration isn't always evident and we can give away the most simple of goals at times....hence are minus goal difference

Some hard games coming up...hope we can knuckle down and become hard to beat....I think we're going to need all the luck we can get.

7. notDistantGreen

Spending on transfers has been at a record low this time around as clubs face up to the fact that there are unlikely to be fans in their stadiums at all this season. In the Premier League, spending this January was £70m compared to £230m last January. We still have the option of picking up free agents if they are out there and one of the top agents has said that all clubs are trying to offload players rather than bring them in, so they may be there.

Experience is not everything given the type of football we are trying to play. Opoku is a case in point, only 21 games before he came to us. He said himself he was upset when he got dropped in favour of Canavan for a few games and realised he had to improve if he wanted to play. He's done that to a significant degree and I'm beginning to warm to him. Whether Sam Woods can do the same remains to be seen.

On Saturday, Kel Watts let a runner go at the back post in free play to score Accrington's first and then looked at Danny Mayor as if to say "your man". An experienced CB would have gone for the ball come what may even of it meant wiping out Mayor in the process.

Then again, in the second half, everyone's favourite Panutche Camará managed by what must have been 100% brain fade to get offside when Jephcott slipped him in for what should have been a tap in equaliser. That school boy error probably cost us 2 points.

We will leak goals but we can score them too but at least I doubt we'll go bankrupt. My main worry at the moment is Danny Mayor staying fit. He is on fire.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I thought that Ryan Lowe had given us the opinion that he was in the market for an experienced central defender.....but he is supposed to have text Chris Errington....."Have an early night Chris".....suggesting that he had finished his business for the day....and that he wasn't looking for anyone.....I just feel we have no strength or authority or an organizer in the back three and teams will suss that out and make us pay dearly for it.

9. notDistantGreen

I don't disagree with you in an ideal world but this isn't an ideal world. An experienced CB with leadership qualities and the skills to play the ball out from the back is not going to be easy to find or cheap to buy. We've got no gate receipts at present or for the immediate future. So we're signing Premier League players (Opoku, Watts and now Woods) who presumably have the skills but not the experience. Leadership isn't all about age so we'll see.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been on the Wigan site.....and reading the Scott Wootton interview....and what he says he will bring to the team....if all that's true then he sounds the answer to all our requirements in a replacement centre-half....:headbang:.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Zak Vyner, Bobby Reid, Hourihan........that's 3 kids with little or no experience we have had previously and look how they turned out. There are quite a few others if I sat and thought about it. They have to start somewhere so why not here. I absolutely agree with the Opoku scenario. He has got better and better recently. Why can't these others. Jephcott had no league experience until the end of last season so there is one of our's.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watched the Sam Woods video....he talked well and could be an asset for Argyle....can play in more than one defensive position.

13. notDistantGreen

You are right, confident, clear and knows we're Argyle not Plymouth.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes he corrected that quickly didn't he.

Also Bournemouth have sacked their manager after only six months.....I assume Lowe will get mentioned as usual.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Next Tuesdays away game at Accrington....will kick off a 5.30 pm instead of 7pm....to try to avoid the frost.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ryan Lowe and his assistant Steven Schumacher have both signed new contracts.... keeping them both at Argyle until the end of the 2023/24 season.

Their present contract still had 17 months to run.....I assume this makes it more expensive for any club to lure them away.....of course it also makes it more expensive to sack them.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Swindon are in a bad financial situation I read today.....from a selfish point of view we don't want them to fold during this season....because that is 6pts off our total if they do.

18. notDistantGreen

I don't think there's much chance of Ryan Lowe getting sacked for the foreseeable future. There would be rioting in the streets of Plymouth for a start. Everything can change but better to tie him up now and reduce the risk of him being enticed away. We've got a small nucleus of young players on long contracts (Jephcott, Hardie and Ennis) and it makes sense to do the same with the manager.

Just on Ennis, it's interesting to listen to Ryan Lowe's most recent weekly interview. Niall Ennis has been on the watch list since Lowe arrived at the club. He doesn't like doing deals at 11 pm on deadline day and sees other clubs doing bad business like that. Also, in the interview on his new contract, he says that he was not a proponent of data analytics when he arrived but that Simon Hallett pushed it and now everyone has bought in, or in his own words, become "obsessed with it". It's very much a business method, analysing investment opportunities (players in this case) in a structured and disciplined way. No system is foolproof and neither should it be allowed to make the decisions for you but it does provide a structured framework within which managers can exercise their professional judgement.

The quotable quote is "Yeah, I am ambitious but why can't I be ambitious with Plymouth Argyle?"

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The proposed salary cap due to come in next season has been scrapped after PFA challenged the legality of it. Completely stupid in my view and if footballers object to it then it's like turkeys voting for christmas. This will encourage clubs to spend more than they have yet again. It will also give the more supported clubs an undue advantage again.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Interesting news....Paul Tisdale has been sacked as Bristol Rovers manager after only 3 months....Rovers are only out of a relegation spot because of superior goal difference.

Keith Curle has also been sacked by Northampton..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.