1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wolves v Southampton, Monday 23rd November 20:00 Sky Sports Main Event

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Onionman, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Moss gathers a rolling Manc... or something like that

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

Yes it is +

Sunday 29th November 14:00 KO
    please log in to view this image

Referee: Jonathan Moss. Assistants: Marc Perry, Dan Robathan. Fourth official: Graham Scott. VAR: Martin Atkinson. Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.

3. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

This. Who would have thought a year ago that we would be in the top five of the table and some still looking for scapegoats. No one appears to have mentioned that the keeper had the shot covered so even if Walcott had been on target to find the far corner, it would have been saved. Thought he had a great game and he gives us the quality we've lacked to cover for injuries or to provide impact off the bench. Whilst we praise McCarthy for three or four tremendous saves, no doubt Wolves fans are bemoaning their players failing to find the net in several 1 on 1 instances. The stats don't lie and they tell us we should be grateful for a point against an excellently coached side. The Saints of old always had their worst performances just after an international break so this is quite refreshing!

4. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I don't think the JWP one was particularly a concern - but a good excuse to put club before country. All the injuries have been strains and not tears - I think in the main they're just being very cautious because of the demands of our playing style.

fatletiss and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  5. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

That smile was a great cover for his absolute commitment to win.

Archers Road likes this.
  6. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Fair enough - do you think every footballer has the same level of dedication, commitment and will to improve - and that it is purely technical ability that separates them?

Personally, I don't actually know Walcott's mental attributes - I was merely speculating as that potentially being a reason why many consider him to have never fulfilled his potential. But it is quite clear to me that a players dedication & determination to always improve and give 100% plays a huge part in their career - and that not all players have the same level of dedication.

Libby and fatletiss like this.
  7. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was nice watching a game where things generally went our way for once. Yellow cards not given to our players, Wolves chances missed, the ball rebounding straight back to Che to allow him to assist for Theo. Just a shame that the rebound fell straight to Neto.

Yes Theo's miss at 1-0 was bad. But Wolves were so strong - particularly in the second half, and especially after introducing Neto - that I'd have backed them to come back from 2-0 down (again!). So I still see it as one point gained, not two lost.

Fingers crossed that we've only got one more game without Ings.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  8. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

Why didn't Theo achieve his potential? Could the answer be Arsenal? For me, they do have an uncanny lack of failing to get the best from their players at times. When Chamberlain went to Liverpool for £40m some people rolled their eyes and thought that Klopp had lost the plot. But the Chamberlain in a Liverpool shirt was unrecognisable from the one playing for Arsenal. Of course, Theo then tried his luck on the wrong side of Stanley Park, where many a player has vanished without trace.

While I mention Liverpool, anyone who was at Anfield last season saw them produce a second half performance of shock and awe. The team that won the league last year were - and I hate to say this - as good as anything I've seen in more than half a century of watching football. However, I don't support Liverpool. I support Southampton who, bless 'em, have had lots of years of being crap. I haven't enjoyed watching a Saints team as much since the Lawrie 'three wins from the double' days. Yes, we'll have forwards who'll miss chances; we'll have centre backs that will make mistakes. But Ralph has created a team that is so much more than the sum of the parts. So while I do get the questions over Walcott's finishing or Vesty's positioning I just remember I support Saints, not Real Madrid in their pomp, Man City at their most imperious or the hurricane force which is Liverpool.

Good result last night against an excellent Premier League team. End of, for me.

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Individual preference Archers. I like a player to show that. For me, it gives me an indication of the mindset.. doesn’t have to for you or anyone else.

garysfc likes this.
  10. fatletiss

Just for the record, has anyone said anyone didn’t want to win?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020

11. fatletiss

He turned down Venables at Spuds having agreed to sign originally. Cost him his euro 96 place and Venables the chance to win a tournament

garysfc likes this.
  12. fatletiss

A very good game, I would say. And have :)

13. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Given Fats previous I'd say he definitely used to think that :bandit:

Mind you I think he's lost his edge these days :emoticon-0102-bigsm

I'll get my coat

fatletiss likes this.
  14. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I am sure I read that he turned down Spurs after his first wife Cathy told him to turn it down, he also said Spurs was the only team he ever spoke to.
    Didn’t even speak to Liverpool or Chelsea when they enquired.

15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Charlie Austin famously threw a wobbler for the cameras after a decision cost him and Saints. Out of interest, who would you rather have at Saints late in their career, Austin or Walcott? Who do you think has the better mindset?

I will judge players on what they do on the pitch, not what they say to the cameras.

16. Archers Road

I don't think they all have the same level of commitment, no. I think people have different personalities, and self flagellation in public proves nothing and changes nothing. I don't want to see a player begging for forgiveness because he missed a chance - if that happened Shane Long would never be off his knees, and I don't think anyone can fault his commitment - what I want to see is the player keep trying on the pitch where it matters.

As for Walcott not fulfilling his potential, didn't he win two or three FA Cups with Arsenal? I don't think it's his fault they didn't win in the league in that time.

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  17. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Christ, that's a long time without a league win. No wonder the Arsenal fans got cranky.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Agree with this completely. Not slagging him off but I think it's probably fair to speculate as a reason why Theo has never been a top player. Desire and a hunger to improve can go a hell of a long way imo. I dont feel like Rickie would have been happy with just getting a goal last night.

A lazy example to make is Ronaldo. There's loads of players who have had more natural ability than him but he had his heart set on becoming the best and worked every day towards that. The result is one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Fwiw I don't think that mentality is something you can coach, someone either has that in their persona or they don't.

Theo did play very well last night mind.

19. fatletiss

Well twisted.

I’ll leave it there mate :emoticon-0148-yes:

20. Archers Road

Kick the sponge bucket if it makes you feel better.

shoot_spiderman and fatletiss like this.