1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Womans team - The Gas Girls

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Both our woman's teams have had excellent seasons so far.

Our first team are undefeated in both the league and cup. While our development team have lost just the 1 game. Both sitting top of their League's.

I've had the pleasure of watching both teams on the same day. I managed to watch the 2nd half of the development team (I'll explain why I missed the first half below), then the whole game of the first team, who played on the same pitch straight after the development teams game.

I would have watched more games as I have two very keen girls of my own who want to watch as many games as they can of our woman's team. They both were invited to meet the first team in the changing room during the first half the development teams game. All the players and staff were great. They gave my little ones match balls each and then signed them and had photo's taken. We were well looked after. Unfortunately the Gas Girls have only played just the 1 home game, which was a cup game, smashing a team a league above 7-0. There should have been another home game but the opposition forfeited the game which gave the Gas Girls all 3 points without kicking a ball.

There are some real talented players in our woman's team from what I've witnessed myself and I've been following along to each game via social media. They were very entertaining to watch and to be honest even though the standard is different, the game itself that I have been to was right up their performance wise that I have seen from the men's team this season. I strongly would recommend to you all to go watch them if you get the chance.

Here are the fixtures for both teams.

please log in to view this image
    please log in to view this image

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Delsy likes this.
  2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

First team results so far...

League - Won 5-0 vs Abbeymead Rovers Ladies First Team
    League - Won 8-1 vs Longlevens Ladies First Team
    League - Won 4-3 vs Bristol Ladies Union Development Team
    League - Won 3-0 vs Bristol & West Ladies First Team
    League - Won by forfeit vs Forest of Dean Ladies First Team
    Cup - Won 7-0 vs Forest Green Rovers Ladies
    League - Won 4-0 vs Cheltenham Women U21 Team

Here is the up to date table following today's away win at Cheltenham... http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/Table.do?divisionseason=538044650&league=879242925
    Top of the table after 6 games, 8 points clear of 2nd with +20 goal difference.
    10 games to go and 7 of them are home games at Lockleaze Sports centre.

Development team results so far...
    League - Won 5-2 vs Cotswold Rangers Women
    League - Won 1-0 vs Cheltenham Civil Service First Team
    League - Won 3-0 vs Dursley Town Ladies First Team
    League - Won 4-0 vs Bradley Stoke Ladies First Team
    League - Won 4-1 vs Bishop Cleeve Ladies First Team
    League - Lost 1-0 vs Cotswold Rangers Women
    League - Won 13-0 vs Cirencester Town Ladies First Team

Here is the up to date table following today's away win at home vs Cirencester... http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/Ta...Day=&standingsTableMonth=&standingsTableYear=
    Top of the table after 7 games, 3 points clear of 2nd with +26 goal difference.
    9 games to go and 5 of them are home games at Lockleaze Sports centre.

Delsy likes this.
  3. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Gas Girls beat Cheltenham Women 4 - 0 ?

Gas Girls development Team beat Cirencester Town 14 - 0

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yes as stated above in my last comment, yes our first team won 4-0. Our development side officially won 13-0. However, everyone is saying 14-0 but the ref is saying 13-0 and put it in his report and that is the official score for the league <ok>

5. old timer

Just read the report on Rovers news that's where i got the scores from CJS the main thing is they both won
    It also doesn't say it was Cheltenham's U21s in the report so I thought it was a different game

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Ahh I see <ok>

The fixture list at the first post has u21's and the league table has u21's http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/Table.do?divisionseason=538044650&league=879242925
    It's a bit lazy to not add it in the report :emoticon-0136-giggl

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The development team had their away game postponed today due to a waterlogged pitch.

The first team though was excellent. I went to this game instead of our FA Cup game. It was a top of the table clash with us being top - 8 points clear - vs Pucklechurch. We won 3-0 in yet another game that we dominated. Pucklechurch were restricted to just 3 chances. Two long range free kicks that both just went over the bar and then with minutes left of the game they had a 1 on 1 from about 7/8 yards out in the centre of the box and our keeper made a superb double save to make sure we kept a clean sheet. We got all 3 of our goals in the 1st half. Forward player Rossana Rocha bagged the 1st 2 goals, her first was chip. Very skilful on the ball. Both goals came quite quick in the game. The 3rd goal though came from right winger Libby Bell. A long range free kick that lobbed the keeper and went in off the post. After that we could have had a few more. Libby had another long range effort that smashed off the bar in the 2nd half. However it stayed 3-0 after some wasteful good chances, like 3/4 1 on 1's being missed.

A few players could have won player of the match but for me our 2 CB's were rocks at the back and could and share the award. Anna Hubble and captain Natty Coles. They won everything in the air, they were calm with the ball at their feet and neither were beaten by their players. Both with bags of pace. Our LB Poppy Warren was very impressive too. Very pacey, ran up and down all game and won a lot of tackles and our CM Jasmin Bull bossed the midfield but our 2 CB's shaded it for me.

Overall, I am very impressed and at the moment, I'll rather watch the girls play.

8. old timer

Thanks for putting these reports up CJS It's good to know what is happening with with the other team in Bristol

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The match programme for yesterday....

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Gasgirls development team won 2-0 away today vs Mitcheldean Ladies First team in the 2nd round of the GFA Trophy.

Gasgirls first team lost 3-0 at home today vs Frampton Rangers Ladies team in the 2nd round of the GFA Trophy. It is worth noting that Frampton are top of their league and play at a higher level than our first team by 2 divisions. I was unable to watch this game today as feeling under the weather. However by all accounts we deserved something from the game. We apparently played very well, being the better team and had more than enough chances to win the game but did not take our chances. And when things are not going our way in attack, that usually means extra pressure on the defence and that was the case today. A couple of errors at the back and the opposition punished each mistake.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The development team played on Sunday. Won 3-0 at home vs Gloucester City Ladies First Team.

They remain top of the League but only on goal difference. They share top with Cotswold Rangers Women after 8 games each. 8 games to go.

Both won 7 and lost 1 so both on 21 points. Way ahead of 3rd place back on 12 points.

Rovers have scored 33 and conceded just 4 so has a goal difference of +29.
    Cotswold has scored 32 and conceded 9 so has goal difference of +23.

Cotswold has caught up with Rovers on the goal difference front as they won on Sunday too but won 10-0.

All very close!

Our first team didn't have a game.

Both our teams are playing this Sunday in the Gordon Perrett League Cup. Both away. Our first team away at Cotswold first team (our development team league rivals). Our development team are away against Tytherington Rocks Ladies first team who are top of their league which is the league below our development teams league. So both against lower league opposition however both will be tough games as both in top form.

old timer likes this.
  12. old timer

A really encouraging start for the Gas Girls on their league comeback

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Mixed day for our 2 womens teams yesterday in the Gordon Perrett League Cup. Both our teams were away.

Our first team (in L1) was away at Cotswold first team (from L2) who are 2nd in their league on goal difference. We team won 12-0. Brilliant result. Goals from... Georgia Vandries x4, Jasmine Bull x4, Rossana Rocha x2 and Libby Bell x2.

Our development team (in L2) are away against Tytherington Rocks Ladies first team (from L3) who are top of their league. It was a dominant game for our development team but we failed to take many chances. The oppositions failed to actually have a single shot. This meant after huffing and puffing, it went to penalties, which we lost 4-3.

14. old timer

Cheer up CJS City ladies lost by a record score in their league 11 - 1

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Our first team won 3-0 at home vs Longwell Green ladies and now move 9 points clear at the top of the table.

Our development team didn't play but their league rivals - Cotswold Rangers women - did play and won 7-2. They move into 1st place, 3 points clear of our development side. But our development side have a game in hand. Win that and that puts us top on goal difference.

old timer likes this.
  16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

17. old timer

8 - 1 win today for the gas girls v Band WLFC
    Gas scorers Vandries 4 Bell 3 Rocha 1
    band appears to stand for Bristol and West

18. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Really interesting thread - I must confess to having paid virtually no attention in the past to women's football, in any format - however after reading this thread and the results/performances etc, I find myself looking at it a bit differently. To be honest, the weekly tripe that our men's team are dishing up each week nowadays, and the total lack of ambition, direction, ability or management that we witness week in week out, I reckon we could all do a lot worse than to start following the Gas Girls from now on. At least we'd see goals at the right end, and our new manager might be able to pick up some tips on how to motivate players and produce the odd win now and again.

19. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I think that women's cricket is worth watching as they are not far off the skill sets of the men and some of the matches have been very exciting in the recent tournaments however every time that I have watched womens football the skill factor and general strength required to play the game doesn't seem to be quite up to the mark and makes watching for me at least somewhat underwhelming.

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We were 1-0 too and only 1-1 at half time. The wind was terrible and had the wind with us for the 2nd half and then our class really shown. Vandries is a real handful. A real fox in the box type. Like Cureton. Bell though, wow. She got 3 quality goal, which if JCH had scored, we all be raving about it. Her first was a rocket from distance, her 2nd was a cute flick from a hard angle and her 3rd was a cross come shot which hit the top far corner from the side of the penalty box. Rocha is very skillful. I would say she is 1 of our better players for sure. A bit of a Disley player who plays behind the striker but gets into lots of scoring positions. Worlock is a midfielder who is a box to box type. Loves to tackle but also loves the ball at her feet and does the odd nutmeg now and then. But we look very strong at the back too. Coles is a very strong commanding leader on the pitch and is very steady with the ball at her feet playing the pass out of the defence. It was a really good performance in tricky conditions.