1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Womens World Cup

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by shoot_spiderman, Jun 18, 2019.

1. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Seems to be a Twitter backlash against his comments too, but when what would you expect from someone who achieved naff all with England as a player. Bet he'd have given his left foot for England to even reach a 3rd place play-off when he was a player.

2. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Be gracious in victory and in defeat. Neville sounded like a child with sour grapes.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I thought he was gracious in defeat on the night with his interview straight after the semi-final defeat.

He just thinks it’s a naff game for the third place play-off, which he stated before they’d lost.

For Fran’s comments about the Olympics, that’s a bit different in other sports. Standing on the podium as an athlete to get a top three medal is something of an achievement. For me, in a sport that is not an Olympic sport fundamentally, playing a third place game is naff. Are we going to have a third place FA Cuo game next?

4. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Come on Neverland.

The way you lot feel about Liverpool, I feel about the U.S. In any given sport.

EDIT: Jesus f*cking seriously, God?!! Just as I write that the ****ing U.S. score.

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing wrong with thinking a 3rd place play off game is a waste of time. I agree with him - in football it's pointless.

6. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I don't think it is pointless.

But at any rate, right before the game is not a tome to complain about. If you hate playing consolation matches so much, then don't lose.

Like I said, Neville talked trashed all tournament, got beat, and now thinks he is too good to play a third place match. And he calls the US arrogant.

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

And to cap it all they’re managed by a Skate!

8. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Netherlands has the right tactics and played a good match. US was just too strong.

This is the last WC where there's going to be a team that like this. Not that the US team couldn't be stopped, but they were still clearly the most talented team by quite a margin.

Now that Europe is finally supporting their women, you won't see this level of disparity again.

9. fatletiss

You don’t like the bloke, we get that, but just because he doesn’t rate the 3rd place play off game doesn’t make him arrogant in my view, especially as he said it days before the game.

I’ve read you’re post above a few times and really it’s just “I don’t like Phil Nevlle.” Daft comment saying “don’t lose” and did he really say he is too good to play that game? He’s clearly rattled your cage :)

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Apart from when interfering with play and phases of play come into it of course, then it's subjective and down to an individual's perspective again.

11. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I think it’s a ****ty thing for anyone to complain about playing in a third place match before it is played. I think it’s disrespectful to the opponent and to your own country’s previous team that won the bronze.

You have your cause and effect reversed. I don’t dislike things because Phil Neville does them. I dislike Phil Neville because he constantly acts like a ****head by doing things I dislike. Average and extremely overrated player, lousy human being, lousy pundit, lousy manager.

12. SaintLapras

Sure, why not? In fact, have the winner get a pretentious league, I mean Champions League spot, then the runner up, and the two semi finalists compete for a Europa League spot. The two semi-finalists play each other, the winner plays the FA cup finalists and the winner of that goes on a European tour

13. fatletiss

Looks like I was wrong. You like Phil Neville after all.

14. SaintLapras

At the time I thought it was ridiculous that Philip Neville was made manager of the friggin' England national team with absolutely no managerial experience and absolutely. I mean, appointing a club manager who has no experience is one thing but the England manager! One's country is meant to be the pinnacle of a manager or player's career... I felt it was incredibly disrespectful and never would have happened for the men's team. People seemed to warm to him with the whole She Believes Cup thing, but now a lot of people on Twitter seem to be against his appointment... Not sure if they're the same people who thought he was the right person after the She Believe's Cup.

15. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Gareth southgate wasnt exactly brimming with experience when he took over.

16. SaintLapras

I was against his appointment as well

17. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Southgate played for the National team, had managed Middlesbrough, and was the current U-21 coach, so I think he was a natural candidate. I do think overall he was a little short on experience, but not so much that it should have disqualified him.

Neville had much less experience coaching/managing overall and zero experience with the women’s game. Plus Southgate never made a bunch of sexist tweets against men.

Neville in the end has not been a bad appointment. I do not think England did any worse or better than expected so from a strictly football standpoint, he’s been neutral. But, they probably generated a lot more press with Neville and his loudmouth and undeserved winner’s aura than they would have otherwise with some polite women’s coach no one ever heard of.

18. fatletiss

I remember Phil Neville having a great game in centre midfield (not his natural position) when he helped win the Champions League Final. Not bad for an undeserved winner.

It's Only A Game likes this.
  19. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

I don`t think Neville did himself, or the team, any favours with his Liverpool-like `first is first and second is nowhere` nonsense. The Yanks will have used that as motivation.

20. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

But that is exactly the American mentality and always has been.

The British mentality is to moan and point fingers. We're e doing a great job of that now.