1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic WORLD CUP 2018

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, May 16, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

S Korea...2-0...Germany....goodbye.

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Shame for them ... not..
    Auf Wiedersehen
    Brazil could go tonight ..
    The competion is wide open and we have a great chance.. i had us at 18-1 .. so any ones cup this time no clear favourite..

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Watched the match and thought Germany were total crap. Normally they are so clinical but today it just would not go in. I still kept expecting them to score at the death but this time it was the opposition.

Watched the Serbia v Brazil game this evening and thought Brazil were not that bright for most of it either. Neymar is a total penis head with an ego the size of the Rain Forest. He managed to compete the most roll overs of anyone I have ever seen. If you are that badly hurt you do not roll around like that and he should be booked for his stupid behaviour. Instead the Serbian was booked. I also thought the Ref tonight looked a tad biased. Brazil got a lot of decisions.

4. Greenarmyjoe

How is neymar the most expensive footballer. he has never been any good. Im not a fan of his and Brazil wee teribel as you say

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Refs seem to think players like Messi, Neymar & Ronaldo need some sort of tackle exclusion zone.

Not the player's fault but the diving is.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

6. Greenarmyjoe

Well we never deserve to win that one..

Now the tournament starts!!

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

England "B"...0-1...Belgium "B"......they were the better side.....not a bad result....Columbia on Tuesday.....and if we win that we would have Sweden or Switzerland.

In the opposite half of the draw to Brazil......which can't be bad.

8. notDistantGreen

What it tells you is that without Kane, Lingard, Sterling and Alli, we have no equivalent reserves who can play the same system.

Rashford and Vardy are good in their own right but they aren't as good a fit. Loftus-Cheek is good but can't make the midfield on his own.

Still, an honourable defeat and as the pundits said, the First Team haven't lost.

In theory, now have the easier side of the draw but it's down to us to take advantage. We can do it.......

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I am not convinced that we tried that hard to win this despite Southgate saying we want to win every game. He didn't look particularly miffed about the result. We weren't that bad but the whole match was a bore for me. I'm also not that convinced that any half of the draw is easier now than another. The stupid thought process is that we aren't worried about the next match it is avoiding Brazil in the one after. Firstly we have to beat Columbia. Next Brazil have to win their match to progress. I just think it is patronising nonsense to allow that sort of thought to even form. For me we qualified for the knockout. Job done to progress. Now we have to win the next 5 to bring home a trophy.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If Southgate was dead keen to win... then Kane and Lingard would have been on for at least 20 minutes.

11. Greenarmyjoe

Well agree with the comments and who ever is in front of us we have to beat, no matter who they are.

I think after the groups they should all go in a hat and draw the matches.. like the fa cup.. May be a better idea, it is a cup competition.

Any way, the match was not going to be a spectacle due to both sides already through, resting the players was ok, I think southgate would be the happier manager.
    We could go all the way i feel, but then again its England:eek:

12. notDistantGreen

Now Joe, in the real world, I'd say that was a damn good idea. However, this is FIFA. How could you fix things by having a random draw?

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You just keep putting the balls back in the pot till you draw out the right one....not even slight of hand required.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

France...4-3...Argentina.....not as close as the score suggests.....France to powerful.

15. Greenarmyjoe

Well they will find a way.. They would do the draw behind closed doors, they will open the envelopes first and draw it that way

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Uruguay...2-1...Portugal.....winners have only conceded one goal during 2018.....going to be hard to beat....Ronaldo couldn't do it.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Messi and Ronaldo go home then. Bleddy hell.......... To be fair France did look a bit useful even if they are clearly not as defensively strong as they are going forward. Portugal never looked like doing it for me.

I was struck today by the number of falling downs there were in ALL of the teams. The other thing that I noticed was how useless Glen Hoddle is as a pundit/co-commentator. He always sees the foul even when it is clearly obvious it was a dive. I wish they would bin him and get somebody like Mark Lawrenson who at least calls it how it is. The diving and faking it spoiled what could have been a very entertaining couple of games. "They all do it now" is not an excuse.

18. Greenarmyjoe

They are a going home quick now,, yes France even tho i am not a fan was my tip to win this .. Uruguay and Croatia but have a say also. Cant complain about the tournament so far. Mr Putin has done a great job.. Also some great quality goals scored and a few yesterday.. Hope we can live up to this..

We will beat columbia 3-1 .. :emoticon-0165-muscl Kane 2 more goals,, that will do the golden boot :emoticon-0152-heart

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Spain...1-1...Russia.....F/T.....extra time required.....boring Spain...side to side to side to side etc,etc no penetration forward at all.....a team in decline surely.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Russia win 4-3 on penalties........I would of bet that there was never a chance that Russia would have beaten Spain in a penalty shoot-out....with the experienced penalty takers that Spain had.