1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Cup 2022

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by KingHotspur, Nov 9, 2022.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Just a reminder: what the Dutch will do to this lot is illegal in Qatar

2. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

Even we would have been leading at half time against Qatar! <laugh>

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Are you sure? Ecuador play positive football England don't. I could see Gareth talking about being satisfied with a goalless first half.

4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

On a more positive note, the first game in a world cup is usually a sterile cagey affair.

5. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I think left meant Spurs!

Left on the Shelf and Alfie Conn like this.
  6. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

even with Conte persisting in playing Emerson as a wing-back.

7. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I only watched the last 20 minutes. Lots of empty seats! Surely it wasn’t like that at the start of the game?

8. humanbeingincroydon

It looked pretty much full at the opening whistle

Most of the sheikhs buggered off sometime between half time and the last ten minutes

Tilly'sowner likes this.
  9. Left on the Shelf

I was referring to 'us' not Ingerlund :emoticon-0148-yes:

The Changing Man and Spurf like this.
  10. Left on the Shelf

Indeed I did <laugh>

The Changing Man likes this.

11. Left on the Shelf

They were in the bars....

12. humanbeingincroydon

They needed a stiff drink after seeing a ghost on the pitch

No, wait, that's the tournament mascot

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  13. humanbeingincroydon

Okay, the club do acknowledge that Pape Matar Sarr exists

14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Maguire and Sterling to start surely! We know that being out of form is now seen as a positive thing when playing for England. And I'll keep asking the question, but Kane and Sterling have played together loads of times. How many assists has Sterling made for Kane? Simple question, really dunno, whatever the answer it's not enough. But apparently Sterling played well two years ago, well that's ok then. Not that I think he was that good. Missed a few chances, was a bit selfish, gave the ball to a German who should have scored an equalizer. But at least he's never let England down. Well apart maybe from a couple of Euros ago when he was dreadful (ok, so were the rest of the team), and the last World Cup when he got one assist (which was the one for Lingard's impressive strike so probably shouldn't count). Yes of course I am anti-Sterling, but as an Englishman I would be happy to be wrong. But apparently Pep knows something about football (maybe not as much as the pundits think, but probably more than Southgate) and he seems to prefer Foden and Grealish over Sterling. Yet for England Sterling will probably play in preference to them (again, hope to be wrong). And maybe Sterling will do something right, and then suddenly his inclusion will be justified. Yet maybe someone else might have done better?

15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I forgot that not all Spurs fans are English. So yes, Spurs would have beat them as would any PL team, I think.

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  16. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Maguire and Sterling are very experienced internationals. Both were part of the 2018 and 2021 teams who went further than expected in tournaments. They were picked for the squad, not because of recent club form, but because of their experience. international football (especially at major tournaments) is very different to club football. Different tempo, teams often sit deep, are hard to break down and look to manage the game in a low risk way. So for younger players it takes some adjusting too. But it’s a squad game; five subs can now be made - and it’s humid and hot there. So there will be changes during the game. Foden might be a better option off the bench later in the game if Iran are holding out. But whoever starts rather than comes on as a sub is probably not that significant v Iran. Southgate might just be doing a bit of man management - saying to senior players that he stills backs them to build their confidence, whilst keeping younger players keen to show what they can do and take their chance when they get it. England are quite blessed with players in the wide attacking positions, although the options are more limited elsewhere. Kane and Rice need to start every game in their pivotal positions because the replacements are not as good and/or are unproven.

The Changing Man likes this.
  17. The Changing Man

I am not Sterling biggest fan, but I thought in the Euros he was one of our most influential players scoring important goals that took us out of the group. So I think he has credit in the bank. As for Pep preferring both Grealish and Foden, when he had all 3 to call upon last season, Stirling started more games than both of them, but he didn't want to sign a new contract so the club sold him.

Based purely on his England form of the last 2 years he is light years ahead of Grealish as a starter, the majority of Grealishs good games for England have come from the bench which is where he should start today. We as fans get fixated by starting 11s, where in the modern game with 5 subs sometimes it's the team that finishes that is most important. In our last game v Germany the impact of Saka and Mount from the bench changed the game, as has Grealish in the past and it is important to have players who can have that kind of impact late off of the bench as not all players are effective as subs.

I hope that the talk in the media is right and that we are going to play 4 3 3 today, but I hope that the 3rd midfield place goes to creative player and not a Phillips or Henderson. We have better attacking players than defensive ones so let's play to our strengths.

18. humanbeingincroydon

FIFA now saying any captain wearing the OneLove armband will be booked

That's pretty much asking the two captains for the final to wear them

19. The Changing Man

So if the Captain is substituted and passes the armband to another player does that player get booked too? It's so ridiculous it also means that if Kane were to where it in all 3 group games he would be banned for the last 16 tie.

20. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Sterling is not popular with some of us because he is a selfish player, which fair enough is a trait needed by top strikers. The problem with that is that we have one of the best strikers in the world playing beside him and IMO having Sterling robs Kane of chances.

vimhawk likes this.