1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Cup Russia 2018!!!!

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, May 15, 2018.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I have a strong desire to keep this thread going, in the hope that it will at least seem to reduce the time we have to wait until the next World Cup. The one after that, in the US and Mexico, I am definitely going to (if still alive), to see England defend their World Champions title. Actually I’m going even if we don’t qualify. Sadly the idea of spending any length of time in Qatar does not thrill me, though I’m sure Wubba can put up a case for it.

Deleted....... and kiwiqpr like this.
  2. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Funny old format for the next Euros, innit? Apparently, it’s to celebrate the competition’s 60th anniversary. Personally, I’m not a big fan of these shares tournaments. I much prefer there to be one host nation only as I think it adds a certain ‘Jenny Say Quoits’.

I don’t see why the 2026 World Cup should be shared by the US & Mexico. Won’t there be a dirty Great Wall in the way of all that by then? The US, of course, hosted 1994, whilst Mexico have done 1970 and 1986 already.

About time England got another shout, if you ask me.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think we will be going for 2030,the new FIFA regime looks a bit more sane than the previous one. And a least we get a few group games and both semis and the final for the next Euros.

I have been reading up about the new Nations League thingy starting in the autumn. It’s a really complicated competition, but at least means we get some good competitive games home and away instead of daft friendlies. There are 4 leagues of twelve or more teams, each divided into pools of 3 or 4 teams. We are due to play Spain and our friends from Croatia in our little pool of League A. Winners of league A pools get to go into play offs to be champions of the whole thing, if you finish bottom of the three relegated to League B, which includes Wales, Ireland and N Ireland. Scotland are in League C. Seems to have some impact on Euro qualification too, but I can’t work out how.

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

They only gone and dunnit, innit! Until next Tuesday.
    1177B74A-584E-4025-BEAD-A641067E16D7.jpeg

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Haven't been online since the final, however I'm glad France won. The tournaments only 0-0 aside, they played the best football overall, and it's a shame that some 'controversies' are being raised to take away from what they achieved. They turned up, when Germany, Spain, Portugal, Argentina really didn't. Fiar play to them.

My take on the 'incidents'? Don't think it was a free kick, but once given Mandzucic got his head where it shouldn't have been. I DO think it was a penalty. Definite hand-to-ball, probably more instinctive than deliberate. Had it hit his knee then his hand it wouldn't have been given, but hitting his hand first the way he was moving his hand was always one that VAR would give.

6. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Nowthe hype has died down.
    I would just like to say

1. I think Kante is amazing the most underrated player in the tournament. He was the engine room of the French win. He was my player of the tournament
    2. My England player of the tournament was Trippier. He did everything asked if him, defensively, attacking, crossing, corners, and scoring.
    3. Harry Kane may have won the Golden Boot...but I think he had a really disappointing tournament. We would have been ( undeservedly) in the final if he hadn't greedily tried for a goal when a cross was the better option. He went of the boil entirely when the Golden Boot came into view. Unimpressed

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

QPRski, kiwiqpr, UTRs and 1 other person like this.
  7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've just noticed that Qatar 2022 is being held between 21st of November to 18th of December. Will domestic football be suspended during the finals?

8. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Kane had a disappointing last two games but you don't win the golden boot by having a disappointing tournament. Secondly, we would have deservedly been two nil up if he had scored then and I very much doubt Croatia would have come back from that. Small margins.

9. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

Penalties and a sort of accidental back heel....
    He scored 6 times...not begrudging that but he was no Mbappe or Hazard.

BobbyD, kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  10. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

So we have to wait 4.5 years to win it, not 4?

QPR999 and Uber_Hoop like this.

11. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

Now it's done, we can reflect honestly, without fear of jinxing our heros.

I agree, Kane won it without playing like we've seen him play for spurs. I can't remember him looking threatening whilst bearing in on goal. His penalties were emphatic, each and every one and that takes some bottle. The disappointment was that he and Ali couldn't create the magic that we see every Saturday.

Trippier superb, walker solid and unbelievably fast, playing out of position. 4 times, when we were hanging on to our 1-0 lead, his pace got us out of trouble, but I remember him getting wound up minutes before the equaliser and his head went after that.

Stones and maguire, undeniably awesome, Pickford like a cat, the rest, rarely achieving what we needed them to in order to reach potential.

Next time.

12. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It's over.
    We came 4th.
    Better than most thought.

****ing France won it!
    Move on.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  13. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Agreed. International friendlies have always been a complete waste of time as every player including the debutants treats it as a practice game. Did Sky come up with the idea? They seem to have worked out finally that Vanarama Conference and annual matches between Chelsea and Barcelona always with the same predictable outcome are getting a bit stale and lack customer appeal. Anyway they've lost their touch as they are often outbid now by BT and the Beeb. Have to do something, I think the marketing buzzwords are 'being innovative' to come up with 'exciting new products'.

On another note I have seriously wondered during this World Cup whether the demise of the old guard has anything at all to do with the removal of the cancer at the top of the game, Blatter and his cronies at FIFA? Long way to go but the best World Cup for a long time. VAR on the whole worked well and will improve with practice. Now all we need is to empower the 4th or 5th official watching on a bank of screes to give referees the power to deal with blatant cheats. Neymar, your time is up.

14. Sebastian

Sebastian Member

I am hear Norwich fans were good for the banters. But I go over there and they delete my posts and close thread.

What is wrong with these supporter?

kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  15. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

Canaries and elephants never forget Swords

kiwiqpr, Uber_Hoop and UTRs like this.
  16. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

Nice girls don't do that sort of thing... Mr Swords

17. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Will hopefully see you there for a pint googlestan
    Both being alive of course
    Have half talked Mrs kiwi into a month in America and Mexico in 2026
    She wants to go whale watching in the sea of cortez
    Might even get to see the Canadian relatives

sb_73 likes this.
  18. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Some English bloke called Southgate is 3 under after 11 holes in The Open, one off the lead. It's coming home!

kiwiqpr, Devonhoop and sb_73 like this.
  19. Devonhoop

Devonhoop Well-Known Member

Is he wearing a Nike branded waistcoat with a little pocket to put the tees and marker in?

20. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

Sadly no Stan, it's a dusty materialistic cultural vacuum with few redeeming features

Plus rumours of an expanded 48 team setup for 2022 means its a one city world cup fubar

sb_73 likes this.