1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Cup

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Watched the games from Italy and France and just want to wish you all good luck in the semi and hopefully final. As usual, all 4 teams left could win it, and to be fair I think England have had a pretty easy run so far.
    But you beat everyone you had to , can't do more than that.
    Would like to see a bit more direct play, with more input from the midfield and less reliance on the Wide men. Harry Kane is not getting the service he deserves, no point one up front if he has to work off scraps. if only Luca Modric was English it would be all over !!
    Anyway best of British, I'll be in Paris, so if it's England / France, will be interesting !!

2. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Have a great holiday CP. I have been surprised how far we have got without really playing that well. We have been playing percentage football thus far not great to watch but it seems to be a winning formula, everyone at home is in a good mood and the pubs and clubs have been rammed here in the midlands and I think everywhere else, I am hoping the shackles will come off against Croatia as Russia showed then can be vulnerable against set pieces and we seem to be good at those thus far. A couple of the players are not yet playing to their capabilities but I think the pressure has got to them. Step forward Mr Southgate ease that pressure I know you can as you have done a fine job to get this far. I'm typing this with a sore throat from screaming yesterday and singing "10 German bombers in the air" at full voice.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Thanks Abu, have watched the celebrations and can feel the optimism.
    Southgate does seem to be the right manager, certainly great at team building. Now is the time to show his tactical side.
    Croatia is a great team, played pretty well, seem to be goal hungry and quick enough to be dangerous in attack.
    Think Southgate might need a change of personnel to try and subdue Modric who is like Kante and involved in everything. Not sure Sterling Alli and Lingard should all play, bit too much of the same for me. I think Vardy needs some game time despite his age he's a fine all round footballer, not just a striker.
    Anyway, first Belgique v La France, should be a cracker.
    Good luck on Wednesday, I'll be in Paris in a ( gulp) England shirt !!