1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Would you swap Mario Lemina?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Here's a question: Would you swap Mario Lemina for Morgan Schneiderlin? Both of them as they are now, not some fading memory.

2. Saint Elsewhere

Saint Elsewhere Well-Known Member

No.

I had a big man crush on Morgan back in the day - he was magnificent, but I'm a believer in never going back. Those day be gone. These days be here. Onwards.

9043graham and mowgli like this.
  3. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

We can sell Lemina for more now than we would be able to sell Morgan for now, so no I'd stick with Lemina. Loved Morgan back in the day though :emoticon-0115-inlov

4. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Mario has never got close to the level of performance that Morgan displayed here consistantly. I think that if Morgan was to return his memory of familiar surroundings might jog and he might be the dominant midfield force that he once was. I don't think that Mario has the same tools to play at that level personally.

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Very different players but yes without a shadow of a doubt.

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Neither, ta very much.

7. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Morgan only played half of last season, was he injured or not good enough for Everton?

Not sure I'd want him back, as it would be such a risk that he would never regain the form he had with us before, plus I expect he'd see it as a step down again after leaving us for Man Utd and then to Everton.
    That said, Lemina is also a huge risk that he will never reach the heights we hoped he would when he signed although he has got age on his side.

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think it just shows that players have to be managed properly. Morgan was a fantastic player for Saints because, I think, he felt he was really comfortable at Southampton. He knew exactly what was required of him and he was able to deliver that with confidence. The big turning point for him was [possibly] listening to the likes of Gary Neville, who said he would be an asset to any of the top four teams. And Neville wasn't wrong, he would have been, but only if he was managed properly - like he was at Southampton.
    And I think the same goes for Mario Lemina. If Saints found the magic formula of managing him I'd be for keeping him absolutely. There's a really, really good player in there, if he can be shown to see it and believe in it. And work consistently to make sure it stays there. But I'm not sure either party have their hearts in it.
    Not every player has a hard as nails character, able to play anywhere, consistently and at the their highest personal level. Most blossom if you give them the right management to fit them. And even established stars can be crap if the planets aren't aligned just as they want them.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I think that half of the problem is that he has got virtually zero chemistry playing with Oriel and they both seem to bring the worst out of each other. The Oriel/Pierre/JWP triangle is much more effective and I can't see Mario replacing Oriel as the DM any time soon. Callum Slattery looks very promising to me and it looks like Ralph has decided to let him blossom and remove Mario who may be blocking his pathway to progress.
    I honestly don't see where Mario fits in the squad this season.
    I think the problem I have with Mario is at his age Vic and Morgan were dominating the midfield and he very rarely has done for us.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    TheSecondStain likes this.
  10. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I would rather sell for £20m and use that to buy a CB

11. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As a straight swap, no. As RSS says, Lemina is worth more. (Plus it's Everton. If there's one club you'd like to think you could squeeze a few extra million out of for one of your players, it's them.)

Plus, as Dark Lord alludes to, we could do with the funds in order to strengthen at CB.

But I would I take Morgan back as part of a deal to sell Lemina? Absolutely, given the right deal. Cash plus Morgan would be very tempting.

12. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Cant help but feel we would be swapping one player we don't play for another but on bigger wages and a longer contract.

We would still need to get rid of a central midfielder too, probably Reed.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  13. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

2 good players who have dipped in form but you feel could come good in the right circumstances

I've no idea what went wrong with Morgan at Everton because he didn't play that much but it felt like he was more comfortable being a big fish in our small pond
    Man Utd Ocean was way too big and Everton's Lake still didn't suit him

Cash and Morgan for Mario sounds ok but ...

Can Ralph get Mario or Morgan playing?
    How gutted would we be if Mario left and fulfilled his potential at Everton?

This gutted <monster><monster><monster><monster><monster><monster><monster>

14. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Everton are set to sign Moise Kean which sounds like a good deal.

15. Itchen Masack

Itchen Masack Well-Known Member

Not sure about the Spiderman 'Big Fish' thing. For me I'm thinking it's something like: He joined us when we were down, worked really hard to fulfil his dreams, got the ideal move and it didnt work out. Couldnt pick himself up again after that, and a move to Everton is just giving up on the top.

And no, i wouldnt want him back. Prefer to look forwards but still have the great memories of those years gone by. He really was awesome for us.

Archers Road likes this.
  16. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Somewhat ironically the Everton fans seem to think we've mis-managed Mario and it will only take a decent people manager (like wot they've got) to make him perform consistently. With a complete lack of awareness on GOT it's mentioned how like Pogba he is in that respect, in a positive way !

If Silva is such a wonder why has he been unable to utilise Morgan?

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  17. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

What’s GOT? Game Of Thrones?

It’s all a matter of Symbiosis init

Maybe Ralph can still somehow achieve that with Mario, maybe not

I’d be interested to see him try with Morgan, but I don’t see that happening

greensaint likes this.
  18. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

And yet Jack Cork will play another 35+ games for in the Premier League this season, no fuss.

Here's a debate: Oriel Romeu or Jack Cork?

19. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Romeu.

20. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

Tough one, but I'll have to say Cork - I was disappointed when he left us because I believe he gives his all every game, and his form/style was more consistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.