1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Would you swop

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Rocky blue army, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Just had a heated discussion with some Chelsea fans at work on which chelski players would get in the spurs team. I couldn't believe they rated their full backs better than walker and rose <laugh>. They didn't like it when I said I would have one of their players at spurs hazard but only on the bench incase Erickson got injured.<laugh> There's not much to choose between the keepers and kane and that ****er they have upfront but I'd rather harry any day.other than that I wouldn't want anyone else from chavski

2. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

It's a very difficult case to make either way. It's because you can't rate a player as X and think they'd still be X in any other team they played. A player's contribution, value and ability is directly linked to the specific team he plays in, of which personal skill is only one component. You need to take into account team spirit, tactics, managerial ability and goodness knows how many other things that can't necessarily be distilled into a number on FIFA. So individually there are many players that might seem to be "better" than Spurs players, perhaps would fetch a higher transfer fee, but I probably wouldn't want them in the team because there's no guarantee they could improve the team. Basically I'm saying the strength of the team is greater than the strength of the individuals, so unless the individuals are that much better they aren't going to help much, and indeed they might make everyone else play worse.

And I heard a Chelski fan just before our recent match (which despite being quite recent doesn't get mentioned that much) saying he wouldn't have any player from the Spurs team in Chelski, and I'd love to have heard him the next day! But I don't think these types of discussion can have any meaningful basis because we tend to prefer our own players anyway, plus we just don't know how they'd work with the rest of the other players.

3. Rocky blue army

I bet you wouldn't have john terry or Costa anywhere near a spurs shirt I know I wouldn't. Hazard I admire he's a very skillful player but where was he all last season apart from the battle at the bridge game.I'm happy with our manager and the fact that so many of the players have signed new contracts and are obviously happy with the way the club are progressing at the moment long may that continue :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

As Vimhawk said, a team is a team, not a collection of individuals.

However, certain exceptional players would enhance any team. From these two teams, Alderweireld is currently the best defender in the PL and would improve Chelsea's defence, no question. Hazard is very talented and would be a better wide front three option for Spurs than any of the players picked. Beyond that, it really is "ifs and buts" about how players who perform alongside a different team's players.

5. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

I think the others have hit the nail on the head. I fully believe our first 11 is as good if not better than any other team in the PL. if Kane and Alderweireld hadn't got injured it's likely we would at least be on the same points or above Chelsea right now.
    I think you can see from both the matches we have played against Chelsea there is not much between the teams at all. It is very subjective. A neutral fan would probably pick more Chelsea due to the fact they are 7 points above us in the league.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Chelsea have better squad depth and have played less games, while we made a traditionally slow start.
    I think Lidls' assessment is pretty accurate, to be honest. Not much in it, barring a couple of outstanding individuals.
    They do have 972 players out on loan, though.

deedub93 and Rocky blue army like this.
  7. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

The other thing with this is - do you judge a team by how they play at their best or how consistent they are at getting results? Spurs are the best team on their day whereas Chelsea have been the most consistent by some distance.

So the whole Spurs team on form would be my pick but I'd have the whole Chelsea team for the long haul.

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I'd take Hazard and/or Pedro anyday.

They're both game changers, which is something we don't have. Alli being the closest.

9. Really not sure about this.....
    Technically they are probably 'better' players in their own right, but unless they can be accommodated into the team then the effect would be negative overall.
    Probably more than any other PL team, our development has been based on a group of players working and learning together: no egos, nor tantrums.
    Hazard would certainly fall at the first hurdle on this criteria and whilst I know less about Pedro, anyone leaving Barca for the PL would likely fall in the mercenary category.

10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Yes, I see where you're coming from.

My point of view was born of the frustration that we all experience when certain teams just cannot be broken down. WBA, I was praying we'd get an early goal as they just get more obdurate and difficult to break down the longer they can hold you out.

The difference for me is that either of those two can just produce a piece of magic and a goal from nothing. Remember Pedro's goal against us at their place?

Hazard is just world class.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Hazard is a top player but as Rocky said, where was he for most of last season.
    I see this Spurs team and squad as unit that are close and happy, it would be bad management to introduce a player with a huge reputation but an iffy temperament. That is in fact the worst combination to have in any team, how tight is the tightrope Conte is walking on?

12. 'the frustration that we all experience when certain teams just cannot be broken down.'
    Agree that both are great talents, but maybe that's the price we have to pay for being the team we are? Agree it's frustrating, but maybe the alternative is worse...

13. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

So who did they take from Spurs? As LDL says, Toby is the best defender in the league so I'd hope for your friends' sanity that he at least has him in there!

For me:

Lloris
    Azpilicueta, Alderweireld, Vertonghen
    Walker, Wanyama, Kante, Rose
    Alli, Hazard
    Costa

Luiz(on his return, at least) and Kane are close. Luiz doesn't quite cut it because he's only played well for a short period of time, whilst Costa scores more important goals than Kane, I feel. Dembele I left out because of injuries/form, it feels a little too close to Mason, both struggled with injuries and form at Spurs before one season when it all came together and they did very well. Plus it's very difficult to pick between Wanyama and Kante so it's easier to pick both :D

LDL mentioned longterm form but in terms of lonterm futures, I'd take all of our first 11 over theirs.

14. Rocky blue army

Alli was the only one they wanted they reckon their manager could get more out of him than potch although I don't see how

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hazard in terms of technical ability is better than the AM's we have but he doesn't have the work rate our lot do, so it's tough to see if he'd be better for us than Alli/ Eriksen.

Kante has been immense for near enough two seasons now so would just edge the brilliant Wanyama.

Costa and Kane are both very good strikers but naturally I'll opt for Kane any day of the week.

Everywhere it's a Spurs win in my opinion. I get Chelsea are top by a good margin so that suggests most of their lot are better than ours individually and collectively but any neutral who'd try belittling a Spurs' credentials would do well in remembering that we've only just managed to get a fully fit squad (Lamela aside) for the past 3-4 weeks, we've gone the rest of this season so far with a bunch of injuries that has seriously disrupted rhythm (and now have Jan out!). Chelsea have been able to field their primary side for most of the campaign. If we can remain as injury-free as possible then there's every chance we can push Chelsea all the way and possibly even catch them.

16. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Imagine picking Cahill over Alderweireld lol