1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wrong selection today IMO.

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Norway-jack, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Norway-jack

Norway-jack Well-Known Member

Cant really blame Laudrup, I know he is trying to give games to people but to me it was almost criminal to not start with Pablo, if he is fit enough for the bench he is fit enough to start,if he had a pull he could have been replaced .

We lack any sort of creativity and Pablo is the only player capable of doing that against park the bus teams like West Ham, who I thought were everything I hate about football, hit and hope ,10 men behind the ball ,play on the break etc,etc. they do this very well in fairness to them but id be ****ed if I could pay to watch that ****e every week !

Yet again we don't play until 60 mins it has to be a fitness thing with us playing Europa league and 3 games in 7 days, its the only thing I can think of , not sure if it was a point gained or two points dropped, the defence did well under some serious long ball stuff but Vorm had his worst game in a Swans shirt for me today.

His form has been patchy since last seasons inury and he is half the keeper he once was, seems a bit strange that he is almost getting tagged with the "dodgy keeper" phrase when it comes to taking crosses !

There are positives though !

Ash Williams- looked solid and hopefully comes away with a valuable 90 mins didn't put a foot wrong.
    Pablo- the only truly creative player we have in tight games,only when he came on we looked like it was possible to score a goal.
    Chico- different player alongside Ash
    A game we would have perhaps lost in the past.

Some points to debate .

Michu- needs to be rested IMO, we are trying to put everything through him and that isn't helping him or the rest of the team! he needs a spell on the bench so he can re charge his batteries,everyone has had a rest except him so its long over due.

JDG - I thought he was neat and tidy and the midfield combo of him,leon,dyer,pablo is our best I reckon .His corners are given us a new dimension and we were very unlucky not to score from one of them.

Alvaro - looks like a younger version of Itay shector ,cant understand why he is doing a job that IMO one of the youth team could be doing,im sure donnely could run around just as much but at least doneely does know where the net is! a centre from Dyer to him in the first half and the guy tries to score with his right foot instead of opening his body out and reaching it with his left, too early to run him down but apart from running I don't see what he offers us .

Taylor - steady and gaining in confidence,done the basics well and in a few games will start to be more adventurous,looked a bit tired at the end I thought.

Leon- had a neat and tidy game as always but did get overpowered a few times.

Im starting to think that the Europa league is taking its toll, we seems to be at about 80% in these games of late,we all know we aint good enough to be below par and win at this level, west ham were there to be beat,its not like we haven't faced that ilk before either, the extra few % just wasn't there and to me its a concern,better teams will take full advantage and I think a shock exit from the Europa wouldn't be such a bad thing , we are not strong enough to battle on 2 fronts IMO . The small squad has an advantage of everyone getting games but we are losing our intensity and sharpness as a result of the changes and extra games .

A draw was a fair result overall.

Thoughts ??

2. swanselona

swanselona Well-Known Member

I do agree somewhat about Pablo, but at the same time, can see why he did what he did, he may have been fit enough, but may have also not used him if he didn't need too.

Also agree about Michu, but I want him to play next week due to his effort and commitment alone, maybe following week give Pozuelo a go in the AM role. Think he deserves that at least. If not him, Shelvey, or even give JDG a go, they are all mainly attacking minded players, so its not like we don't have cover for him.

Also think JDG had a good game today, tracked back well at times. <---- see Norway, I can give him praise :p

3. Norway-jack

Yes , I know you can !! ..<laugh>

Michu needs to be fighting fit and looking at the way he seems to be losing control of his temper on the field im getting the feeling he is a little bit frustrated ,not at the team but his own performances, we did create some goos chances today Michu,Bony and chico had great efforts saved by great goal keeping , we don't seem to be getting the rub of the green so much lately while our friends up the road seem to be getting it in bucket loads!

We didn't get beat and its nice to see the defence dig in and contain some big players in that west ham team.

A word about West Ham by the way, they are a god awful team to play against lets be fair. They are very powerful and awkward and when they battle like they did today (and time waste a lot too) they are a hard game for anybody.

We needed craft to win this game though and while I saw the logic in playing a fast guy to try and get in behind the defenders we perhaps left the player who likes to make those types of passes out of the 16 altogether ! (shelvey)

The first half was a typical performance from us of late, no guile ,no flair,slow to move the ball and generally running out of ideas in the final 3rd. It looks like we have hit a wall to be honest, Bony needs to be fed and we need to start playing to his strengths if our A game isn't giving him anything then we need to change to fit his strong points, that includes michu supporting him more instead of being in our own half looking for the ball.

4. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

For the sake of balance I thought he was rubbish <whistle>

5. Norway-jack

You've always thought he was rubbish, so no change there ...<laugh>

6. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with you Norway, thought that we were well out of ideas in the final third, and our inventiveness with route one teams that park the bus in front of goal is very poor, we need to go back to the drawing board with these teams, though we rarely showed the pace we have had in years past today either, one of the worst games to watch for a purist, and hope I don't see another game like it this season from us, we have lost our way in the final third, and we need to up our game, if we are not to drop down the table.............<ok>

PS: Feel sorry for Hammer supporters watching that crap week in week out!...................<doh>

7. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Europa League taking it's toll? You gave me **** for saying that after the Southampton game <laugh>

8. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Playing against 6 across the midfield and some excellent goal keeping today it was always going to take something to special to put the ball in the net.No sure why Alvaro was staring today without some one who put a decent ball over the top to turn their defence plus he needs to bulk up or learn to stay on his feet ,too many times he was dumped on his backside although looking at their defenders it's not hard to work out why.Bony made a difference purely because of his strength , he won a number of free kicks in good positions and troubled them far more than Alvaro could .
    The game was crying out for a bit of guile and my man Pablo did just that , he, in the short time he was on he transformed us as an attacking threat,I just hope he can stay fit .We didn't play badly just too slow at times to .I wonder if Ash is ok, he appeared not to be fully mobile in the last 15 minutes or so ,back too soon ?

9. Norway-jack

shut up you big girl , I always give you **** !...<laugh>

10. PGFWhite

..<laugh>

11. Norway-jack

something isn't quite working for us right now, im speculating on what it is really, no set line up,chopping and changing every single game,europa league games on a Thursday .

May not be that though, as our inability to play flowing football has pretty much grinded to a halt recently. We have always come against the likes of West Ham and have always known how to play them,even in the championship, maybe the DNA of our team is now too far removed to replicate the performances we knew and loved ,I don't see our wingers running full backs ragged anymore, id love to play against our wingers,all you need to do is not dive in and shadow them to the 20yrd line and they will stop and pass it backwards !! easy stuff !

All this narrow play is fine and we do it well but we need to mix it up as well, no point playing narrow with 10 of the opposition condensed into the penalty area!!

Frustrating but in hindsight could be a blassing as its going to be exactly the same next week !! :)

12. Norway-jack

ash was very tired in the final 15/20 mins according to laudrup .

13. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Oh for our wingers to attack the full backs in the penalty area, look what happened when Pablo took two men on and put a lovely ball into the danger area.

14. neveroffsidereff

Long time out so fitness levels won't be their. You do wonder if Laudrup wanted him to play today to get some game time ready for next week.

15. Norway-jack

init, we may even win more penalties as well!

16. neveroffsidereff

I just don't get why they can't do that one thing. The main job for a winger is to attack a defence. If as fans we can see a player do this then he means business, as yu say bit a trickery in the penalty area and we may get some sodding pens.

17. swanselona

swanselona Well-Known Member

For me Laudrup likes our wingers to come inside to create space for our full backs, which Routledge does very well for Davies, hence why Davies has been good, but, there comes a time when the wingers need to be on the wing, such times happened today, when Dyer done a cross field pass, and Routledge, instead of being on the wing to provide width and options, was basically hanging on to Michu's shirt and the ball ended up going out of play.

Is this a Laudrup call, for some reason I doubt it, I just have a feeling our wingers are not using their noggings to understand when the time is right to pull inside, and when the time is right to hold the line on the wing to provide options.

After all, if you run down the wing all day long, the opposition will know what to do.
    If you run inside every time, the opposition will know what to do.

So mix it up, use your nogging, we have a player in the box who just loves getting his head on things, I mean he done it 3 or 4 times tonight in our own box defending corners/free kicks, so give him the bloody service in the opposition box.

Bony is going to be a great player for us, mark my words, but that won't happen until we sort out or wingers, Routs for me is trying too much to come inside, not as bad as Pozuelo (which we know why with him) but still the same thing, Dyer on the other hand is trying to be the tricky winger like Routs of last season, the silky little touches, but Dyer cannot do that, he needs to stick to what he does best....RUN!!!!!

So many times tonight the boy just needed to put his foot down, but he never did.

To me its the awareness of knowing what to do that they both lack, something that Pablo, for all the criticism he gets from some, is the only one with the ability to risk it, and give it a go.

It is why I also like shelvey, like Pablo it doesn't always work out, but unlike Pablo he is still young and will learn. I mean imagine it now, Pablo on the wing doing his bit, Shelvey in the middle spraying long field passes. Their defence will not have a clue where to go, and thats what we need. And whilst Dyer and Routs are happy in their little shells, we will not get there, because they no longer give the opposition defence any doubt.

18. PGFWhite

You are right there swan, we need to mix it up. Dyer has changed his game totally while playing under Laudrup, too often coming inside - and quite frankly he looks p*****d off doing it. He is more effective playing his natural game - but improve his crossing!

19. Jokeren1943

Jokeren1943 Member

Just an thought.

Think Routledge play much better when he has Ben<s speed and power to go on the outside (so Routhledge) can go on the inside.

20. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

The issue this season is not rocket science is it? We simply cannot keep the ball as we used to, that much is obvious, and until we get back to 'keep ball', then our game will be compromised, pressured, and forced with less control on the game, and Laudrup needs to realise that he is watering down our main strength, by forcing our players to mix in too much long ball, and we do not stretch teams the way we used to either, by using the full width of the pitch, our Wingers need to get back to some touchline wing play with the pace that they have, we are getting very slow and predictable!..............<ok>