1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WTF happened to Pochettino?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Nov 19, 2019.

1. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Depends on which job he's waiting for

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The keeping of Rose after THAT interview is the biggest mistake that Pochettino made. He got rid of others (Townsend, Bentaleb snd Lennon) for way less.
    And this isn't hindsight...I have argued from day one that he should have been denied a squad number and told to **** off. Imho he is one rung down on the Sol Campbell ladder of disloyalty.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Personally I wouldn’t go as far as saying he’s only a level off Campbell but he’s certainly burnt bridges here. If he’d simply kept his mouth shut with regards to his moans - when Ekotto was first choice, when he felt he deserved more money and then more recently criticising our supposed ageist regime - he’d be regarded very highly. Silly, silly man. I’ll still wish him well though if/ when he leaves, the only players I never wish the best for are those who refuse to train and play to engineer a move.

BobbyD and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"most importantly he should have put a Director of Football in place to manage all of this". This.

Levy took his eye off the ball because of the stadium and our squad has suffered because of it.
    Pochettino lost his way and may have become disillusioned with the club and it might be a response to that.
    The chairman needs to stick to running the club and bring in somebody to run the squad and the academy.

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

This is not a comment on how you feel but I feel really strongly about him.

He is a sanctimonious, self serving hypocritical prick imho.

Like many people he has shared stories about his struggles with mental health issues and racism.

He has quite rightly received support and admiration for being open about this but he seems to think this gives him the right to be a self centred, arrogant cock.

No one who signs a contract for £65,000 per week (on top of bonuses, image rights and sponsorship deals which take the earnings to well over £120,000 per week...or £6.25m per year) in November and then gives a number of interviews saying how he is so happy has any excuse giving an interview just 8 months later (after not playing gor the previous 7 due to injury) claiming he weren't paid enough.
    To then insult fellow team mates (having to google new players etc) is an absolute disgrace.

And to top it off he does this in a paper that is well know for printing racist **** on a semi regular basis and which printed a front page headline about Frank Bruno having a mental breakdown calling him bonkers...
    20200125_132044.jpg

That's without even beginning to touch on how badly that scummy paper treated ordinary football fans who died at Hillsborough and the damage that did to the mental health of the survivors and the families.

As far as I am concerned the prick should never have been allowed the privilege of playing for us again. I have not clapped his name when the teams have been announced nor sung his name at games and the only reason I do not boo the prick is cos I don't do stuff like that as it is counterproductive to the team.
    That's why his only a rung down from Campbell for me. THAT interview changed everything for me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

That's fair enough mate, I think you're probably a bit more bothered (if that's the right term) about Rose than I am so I definitely respect your view.

I'd still personally disagree about being near Campbell, although he certainly comes under "stupid dickhead" when thinking of what to label him.

All in all I think he's been a good servant to the club, even if not all of his years here have been productive and he has run his mouth far too much.

On the flip side, the Google comments birthed the great chant we have for Aurier these days, so every cloud, lol.

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I can understand Levy being reluctant to bring in a DoF given our history
    Arnesen: did his job, was tapped-up by Chelsea
    Comolli: undermined Jol just so he could work with Ramos, was **** at his job under Ramos
    Baldini: thad a remit to integrate youngsters, blew an absurd amount of money instead

However, one thing Poch can be criticised for is creating the limbo between the U23s and first team: the reason we adopted the Chelsea method of loaning players to increase their value was based on the assumption that the brighter lights would be introduced into the team - but the fact that they weren't meant the system needed to be changed, and we only really addressed this when Edwards, Shashoua and Tanganga had one foot out the door while the likes of Madueke, Kirby, Bennetts and Griffiths had already left

In a rare example of comparing us to Sky 4 clubs actually being a valid point, a look at their coaching staff makes it clear what we're missing: Man Utd have Nicky Butt in charge of first team development while they also have a head of the academy whose role is entirely separate from the U23 or U18 coaches; Chelsea have Carlo Cudicini, Paulo Ferreira and Tore Andre Flo working as loan coaches; Saltypool have Vitor Matos as Elite Development Coach while Alex Inglethorpe is head of their academy (but not U23 or U18 coach); Arsenal have Mertesacker as head of the academy (again, seperate from U23 or U18 coaching); The Sheikh Mansour Team have a MD of the U23s whose role is seperate from the academy coaches (which are rebranded for reasons known only to Not Us)

In comparison we don't have a head of the academy, we have Wayne Burnett as U23 coach and John McDermott/Ryan Mason as U18 coaches, nor do we have a development coach - and that's clearly the issue, because if we had someone operating as head of the academy then we would have had someone whose job is to bridge the gap between the U23s and the first team, meaning that players were left either hoping to be drip-fed into the team like Winks was (and Skipp was being last season, but not this) or thrown in at the deep end like Ledders or Bentaleb, yet that wasn't necessarily going to happen so they spent a couple of important years of their development playing U23 games

9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Levy ****ed up but will slip under the radar as usual with a shrug of the shoulders and a reminder that it’s his club...it’s not. He’s the custodian...he needs to pull his finger out of his arse when it comes to the first team

The bloke and the company he works for have been negligent in running the Football side of things

Thanks for the Stadium with **** atmosphere though...that should be enough to keep the Accountants and other imaginary success inventors amongst us very happy

COYS

10. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

You sound like a West Ham fan...

The atmosphere in the stadium is up to us. It was insane this night...

...people just have to want it and show up and make it happen. Ask RCL...

11. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

That’s true it’s up to the fans...however Levy is out pricing those fans that bring the atmosphere instead preferring Tourists who shriek at best or too many other rich quiet people with no umph. So Levy got that dig, I’m a complex man, Bri

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    BobbyD likes this.
  12. "Thanks for that Brian"

I get that, but with massive debts and a desire to see top players and great football, something was always likely to give.

Currently, it's all giving....so, by the time the season ticket renewals go out, the club, Levy, Mourinho and the players need to convince a lot of people to renew.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I might be wrong on this but from what I last read, we are paying back 22 mill a season on the stadium loan?

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

You're forgetting the dosh needed for the building of the hotel...<laugh>

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Is Hotel a Defensive Mid?

16. "Thanks for that Brian"

Not entirely. No.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Bet he'll get a good reception.

I'm so sorry, I am looking for my coat.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The poor atmosphere stems from a poorly performing team and very high prices. Levy has to shoulder some responsibility just as the players and both managers do.

Ultimately though it’s never gonna be like the Yellow Wall of Dortmund, too many in the south are wanting to sit and there are others who are being forced to sit whilst there are lots of tourists who barely know the songs... It’s not had the desired effect I think the club had in mind.

Lovely stadium to look at and the facilities are unreal but all in all I think the atmosphere won’t ever be what we’d hoped. We’ll get it going for big games and derbies, no doubting that but I think that’s the best we can expect.

19. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I’d echo this. I think it’s just the way football culture is going especially in the UK as the price goes up - it’s become an experience to be consumed rather than one you contribute to as a fan, for a lot of the match day crowd who are basically there as tourists. When you make as much of the South Stand as we did (and when it gets going it is an awesome wall of sound) there are going to be people who want to go there for the experience and are willing to pay through the nose to do so, displacing those who are there to contribute to the atmosphere.

I don’t know about you all but when I go to a game it’s as much if not more about going with my mates or family and seeing the regulars and making a load of noise after a few beers. I mean we all love football but the feeling of belonging, of being a fan, is almost more important that whatever happens on the pitch. If I only liked the football I’d just stream it and save the cash.

Unfortunately the matchday experience (even calling it that feels awfully corporate doesn’t it) has been on the slide for a few years now and moving out of WHL into an expensive new stadium that needs paying for will only contribute to it.

20. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I love singing during the match but I'm quite short so could never see properly when standing. I also really value the premium 'experience' and the lower east side suits me where there seem to be a lot of fans like me. But about half are day trippers so it is tricky to get the singing going.
    The economics only work if a lot of wealthy fans like me pay out a lot of money but I think the South stand ought to be priced more cheaply.

The Changing Man likes this.