1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wurzeltime

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why are we clear favourites to win this one? They're well above us in the table and we haven't exactly been setting the world on fire.

The Good Guys @ 13/10 playing away, whilst the Turnips are 23/10 against and at home.

Think I'll sit this one out.

clingo likes this.
  2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I think it's because we are fitter. They're sat on tractors all day and we're chasing and sh**ging sheep. Not wishing to stereotype of course.

In seriousness though, I reckon pundits are waiting for the MM bounce. Playing at home hasn't had the usual impact for anyone this season either. Until I get my crystal luds sorted, I can't pick a winner for any game.

ccfcremotesupport and Oldsparkey like this.
  3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Well I hope they haven't got to wait too long.

clingo likes this.
  4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Well if all else fails, we can bounce the sheep!
    Can't stomach the thought of having a season without a single, local derby win out of four attempts. Zero after two attempts is bad enough.
    C'mon Mick. Fire 'em up and get them playing a bit of football.

5. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Can’t let them do the double <yikes>

MM will have then set up from 0-0 with our lightning counter attacks to bring home the points.

6-0 would be nice - again :1980_boogie_down:

clingo and BrizzleBluebird like this.
  6. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

I'm still irked by the way they beat us earlier in the season.
    1 flipping shot on target out of 2 attempts wasn't it?

Plus I've got to contend with the Wurzles in-law over here and their smugness each time they beat us (thankfully it's not been too often in recent times).
    Needless to say, being the polite chap I am, on the many occasions we've won I've taken it with good grace, even the 6-0 (though I will confess to having sent links of the highlights of that game to my nephew and brother in law and few times over the years).

I'd say it's a can't lose rather than a must win for us.

clingo likes this.
  7. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Watched the carrot munchers play Brentford last night. They sneaked an early one as against us but the wheels came off a bit for 20 minutes second half.

However, they got one back late on and made a less than comfortable last few minutes for the Bees.

Trying to be impartial, I thought the Wurzels played quite well despite having a few players out. They also managed to get Patterson, Bakinson and the lad recalled from the Swans on towards the end to give a bigger squad to select from against us.

Semenyo is a real danger, they looked good at set pieces and they had a lad left midfield (can't miss him, huge shock of black hair) who was very good on the ball and could give Ng a tough time.

MM will need all his wiles to counteract their strengths and put us in a position to get a result.

Yours, not as positive as I would like to be, BfB.

clingo likes this.
  8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Anyone else fancy Perry Ng to get a goal before long - maybe even Saturday?

He's had a couple of good shots on target luckily blocked by defenders who knew nothing about it in the Barnsley and Millwall games.

He's @ 14/1 to score anytime - might have a little go at that.

9. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I've thought he could get his first City goal much earlier in his Bluebirds career than Kevin McNaughton. Wouldn't be difficult......

I think he also has a mean streak about him and will respond to any opposition dicking around in kind.

However see my comment above. Their left midfield guy, Massengo, looks a real handful so we may see Ng not getting forward so much tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    clingo likes this.
  10. ninian opinion

More likely than Bacuna and Bennett - in fact Smithies has more chance then those 2<laugh>

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I can't believe these short odds being offered on an away win for the Blue City - clear favourites seems crazy optimistic to me.....<yikes>

I'm tempted to have some dosh on a home win for Wurzel City @ 11/4...............(not really! <laugh>)

I think I'll stay away from the result and have a few quid on Perry scoring anytime @14/1 (even better @ 33/1 for first or last goal.......<whistle>)

please log in to view this image

Attached Files:

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I’m venturing over here to congratulate you on your well deserved win.
    This is the first time I’ve ventured outside my own board since.
    We are in utter disarray and I think avoiding the drop is our main aim now. That’s not a veiled swipe at you btw - you are playing well now and may even sneak the playoffs.
    with us however all optimism has gone. We are a weak side and our catastrophic injuries don’t help.
    I can’t see what a new manager could do with our current squad. Survival is all that matters now.
    Better side won. No complaints.

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Cheers R&W - better late than never. :emoticon-0105-wink:

I looked at your earlier seasons results after our game across there and they are interesting.

You got something like 24 points on the board after your first dozen games and were flying, but only another 15 since from your last 18 games - that tells a huge story and it can't all be down to injuries.

Under LJ you also used to start well but always fell away during the season - same thing happening under Holden. The way it's going, those early season points could be the only thing that keeps you up - the way you're playing recently, I can't believe you are still where you are in the table.

We were going nowhere under "fuzzy" Harris, but now seem to have clear idea of what to do with Mick. <ok>

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  14. bcfcredandwhite

'15 since from your last 18 games - that tells a huge story and it can't all be down to injuries.'
    It's not ALL down to injuries, but our decline started when we lost Weimann. He was our 'engine'. O'Dowda was also starting to play well when he got crocked.
    We've lost so many first team players - there's a thread on our board about it - and many injuries are being sustained in training, so the training setup is currently (allegedly) under investigation. We have had to 'blood' some of our youngsters earlier than we wanted and we haven't had a left-back all season, so we've been playing players out of position to cover the gaps.
    Holden wasn't the right man for the job and it's appropriate that he has gone, but many of us aren't convinced that a new manager will be able to do much and it's a case of hanging in there until the summer.

clingo likes this.
  15. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Good of you to come and post R&W.
    Certainly trying times for you.
    We were thinking similar with our squad a month or two back.
    And I include myself in that.
    Pack, Flint, Vaulks, Murphy, even Wilson wasn't performing.
    We've been asking for a number to be moved on for months.
    MM comes in, assesses what he's got, tweaks the formation, puts round pegs in round holes and all of a sudden things are flying.
    Flint performing at both ends of the pitch, Vaulks and Pack controlling midfield, Murphy creating and scoring and after being left out of the first 2 games, a bit of stardust from Wilson.

Its odd with managers and fans are fickle.
    MM wasnt a massively popular choice over here and we were hankering after many of the names I've seen listed on your board. MM was seen as a poor man's Warnock.
    Managers sort of fit 3 categories with the last group going 1 of 2 ways. I've left out the category of big guns as they wouldnt come to us anyway.
    Old heads like NW and MM who will get a lift and you know what your getting. Wont be too demanding but will do it their way, like it or lump it. Could put pearson in there as well.
    Theres the rising / risen stars like Howe who will be more demanding and may not want to come to clubs like ours because of financial constraints.
    Then theres the risk option. Newbies or inexperienced managers. You went down that route and bombed.
    Swansea went that way, didnt like it and were calling for Plugs head at the end of last season and into this. Now they're near the top of the pile. To be fair, swans have a teack record of picking up inexperienced managers that come good, with a couple exceptions.
    What the inexperienced ones need is time to execute their plan. Can't turn things around like MM or NW, but slowly work towards their vision.
    One of 2 ways though.
    Some good young managers kicking about......

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

We know all about being short in one position - we haven't had a right back all season until now and that was our own fault.

We all have to accept injuries occuring during the season, but to start off without cover at right back for us was unforgivable and the "unthinkable" then happend just a few games in when Tutu had a bad hamstring pull.

As far as you lot are concerned, Holden flattered to deceive at the start and I've got to say you picked up some points in games you hardly deserved. That said, it's what you do that matters not what you've done, so good luck to you with your next encumbant. <ok>

clingo and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  17. ninian opinion

Who’s in the frame to take over?

18. bcfcredandwhite

From our board - a quote from the local rag (Bristol Post):
    Gregor MacGregor
    @GeeMacGee

Some early names we're hearing include Paul Cook, Michael Appleton and Russell Martin. Our understanding is that the club is looking for a more experienced manager this time, ideally though. Nobody lined up. #BristolCity don't speak to people behind the head coach's back.

19. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Paul Cook I reckon.

Bristol City have enough points in the bag to avoid relegation.

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Agree, but Cook was up for the job and rejected when they appointed Holden.

Also agree that they should be safe but it's a bloody good job they accrued those early points and also some lucky ones since.