1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wycombe away…

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Buckyohare, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Well done kvy . Like the old days again!

itfcptc likes this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Real backs to the wall stuff,stand strong Town.

3. Buckyohare

Fans have been so loud; literally 12th man tonight.

4. Buckyohare

Burgess has had his best game tonight as let back. We’ve been a better team without coulson leaving all that space.

5. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, Celina celebration, 4-1, well played you Blues, a memorable night!
    Suffolk delirious.

Redruth likes this.
  6. Buckyohare

Very good. Best defensive game I’ve seen. Fans were amazing and our midfield stood up brilliantly.

7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Brilliant and i was only one goal out!!

8. Bigalreigned

At last we get some pride back,it’s been a long wait but are we now seeing the revival we’ve all prayed for?

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Night all, happy Townies, we have our Club back!

San Diego, Buckyohare and Spanish like this.
  10. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

An emphatic result and a real professional, ruthless performance after we conceded the first. To come away from there with all three points (first time they’ve lost at home in the league all season) makes this a statement win and helps alleviate the disappointment from a few days ago.

Hopefully we can build on this against Oxford.

11. Buckyohare

I’m guessing we won’t be hearing from that saff bloke the Sunderlander again…

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

It’s not so much the win as the manner of the win.

We looked like the home side and when we were under pressure the goalkeeping and defending was superb to a man.

Some of the play was outstanding but it still only felt like we were at 50% of our potential.

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  13. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

TFFT the bloke is an absolute bellend!

14. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Biggest result in years that, great performance but as Yorkie says still feels like there is alot of room for improvement.

I was a bit puzzled by the line up basically having 3 wingers behind the striker and to be honest at times it did make us look unbalanced. They're all runners and feel with those 3 playing we miss someone supporting as a second striker plus someone to keep the ball, all undoubtedly have quality but Edwards certainly needs to show more. With all 3 I felt they looked much better when going out wide and running at or in behind the fullback, sometimes when they cut in or play centrally just feel they haven't quite got the guile.

We were under pressure for alot of the first 15 minutes and I thought we were going to be in for a long night but as they say goals change games. The most pleasing thing is how we held up defensively under quite alot of pressure. I still feel the team feels a little unbalanced but we have the individual quality to punish teams which we've done at Portsmouth and tonight.

Here's my ratings:

Walton - 9 - looks like our first choice goalkeeper, positionally looks very good and distribution also very good made an outstanding save
    KVY - 8 - Looked back to near the form he showed when he first joined the club. Has certainly made it a difficult decision for PC in terms of who is the starting RB now
    Coulson - 6 - thought he started the game half decent and looks a better player than Penney
    Morsey - 9 - Our best player, I think we'd have to set to the team up differently if he wasn't playing, he brings so much to the team defensively and attacking wise, also leads from the front
    Nsiala - 6 - solid for the majority of the game but again had a few awful moments, completely shanked the ball out and on quite a few occasions got too tight to his man and got beaten. Sometimes he looks like a PL standard CB other times he looks like a Rugby player playing football.
    Edmunson - 8 - very solid, hardly put a foot wrong and did what he needed to on the ball.
    Evans - 7 - had a decent game, still not 100% convinced the position is his, feel we might need a player who can dominate the midfield alongside Morsey, perhaps eventually that might be Fraser or Carrol.
    Burns - 8 - think he's been our best players consistently this season and delivered again today. Strangely was very quite in the first half as he usually comes out of the blocks very quickly. What I like about him is he consistently delivers, he keeps to his position both attacking and defensively and actually rarely gives the ball away. For me alongside Morsey would he the first name on my team sheet.
    Edwards - 7 - didn't do much first half but stepped up slightly second, as I said before looked much more dangerous outwide than cutting in. Did well on the defensive side of the game today.
    Celina - 8 - the boy oozes quality but like Edwards I felt he played best when drifting wide left for me he's best running at people and sometimes when you play centrally it's more about picking players out and most of the time I've seen him try to do that he's given the ball away.
    Bonne - 7 - quality goal and nearly scored again but actually had a very quiet game. Despite that, he's always on the move and if we create chances he will score. As I've echoed before still not 100% convinced he's best as a lone striker (and loan..sign him up) as it's not his game to hold the ball up which sometimes means the ball doesn't stick up top as much as I'd like.

Burgess - 7 - very solid game, probably actually helped having him in the side to defend the high balls. From what I've seen I still think he's a more reliable CB than Nsiala.

Buckyohare, Redruth, Nuggets and 2 others like this.
  15. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Wow, that was fantastic!

Just seen the replay and I'm buzzing. The away support made that one of the best games I've seen for a while, absolutely amazing! We defended like crazy and scored 4 very different goals and that match just affirmed my belief that we need fear no team in this league.

It started in true Wycombe fashion, utilising their tiny pitch to put us under constant pressure. Their plan was to get the ball forward into our half rapidly and then press high to try and win it back. They let balls go out on purpose just so they could launch it into the box, it works very well for them and their pitch is designed with that game plan in mind. The small field means there is no space for passes and we probably felt claustrophobic in contrast to Portman Road. We were struggling for the first quarter of an hour and then the goal that Wycombe had been pushing for came. A deep corner, headed down across the box and finished by Wheeler. Wanderers seem to settle down after that, they weren't pressing as hard and we started to get our passes from defence to Evans/Morsy happening more frequently. This then helped us get the ball into feet for the front players to use instead of the long balls we had been forced into in the first period of play. Morsy, (who bossed the midfield for the rest of the match) found some space to run into and set Celina up for Bersant to lash a shot that took a deflection off a defender and then a weak hand from the keeper failed to keep the ball out of the net. We continued to use the ball well and went in at half time all square.

Second half was so much fun. Wanderers came out and gave it a go for the first few minutes and then we pushed, prodded and probed the Wycombe defence with movement and passing that was leaving them somewhat chasing shadows. Lovely work from Edwards in the box produced a cross that was partially saved but as the ball was falling behind Bonne he managed to control with his left and then spin and finish with the right, a beautiful goal to put us 2-1 up. The momentum was all with us now, KVY, who had started the game a bit rusty but who by this time was up to full speed, drove forward with the ball and set Burns up for an emphatic finish high into the net. Wycombe looked done now, 3-1 down at home having not lost yet this season on their own turf and their play looked ragged. Ainsworth made some subs, Akinfenwa coming on which helped them push us back for a bit. We had to manage the game properly to make sure we didn't concede a goal and let them back in. The back four, now Burgess, Edmunsdon, Nsiala and Burns all did very well. Toto had some scary moments and was lucky not to be called out for a foul outside our box right before the third goal. The fourth goal was just comical, outrageous and one to remember. A Wycombe corner quickly became a lesson on where not to be as a goalkeeper. The ball was cleared up to Celina who was met by Stockdale in the centre circle of all places. Celina skipped around him and had a full half of the pitch to stay ahead of the chasing pack and tap into an open net. Cue scenes of delirium behind the goal and of me jumping around my living room as I was already out of my chair well before the ball went in!

A 4-1 victory, a tale of repelling the pressure and exerting the way we play on an opponent at their gaff. Everybody played well, there were some mistakes, there were some calls from me of "you must do better" but it all came together to produce a performance that will be noticed by the rest of the league.

Then there was the crowd, man what a noise they made. One third of the attendance supporting the Blues. Songs were sung, volume was kept high and the team were willed to do well. From chants of 'he's one of own' to 'your support is ****in' ****' the atmosphere was intense for most of the match.

Walton - easily first choice now. Takes crosses, always looks to play out quickly and saves when needed
    Coulson - unlucky to be done by a tough tackle, I hope it's not too bad
    Edmundson - said he actually prefers playing on the left of CB and it shows. Comfortable all the time
    Nsiala - some shaky moments and some great defending. He gives you jitters at times but also gets those last minute blocks in
    KVY - started slowly. The team made sure to give him passes early in the game to get him involved and he got better as the game wore on. By the second half he was playing like the player we know he is
    Morsy - Boss man - no more to be said
    Evans - works very well with Morsy, a proper partnership
    Edwards - some lovely close control and footwork, still frustrating sometimes but made some brilliant plays today
    Celina - out of the game at times but he only needs a moment to make his inclusion in the team worthwhile. Defended as well as anybody too.
    Burns - lovely finish, link up play with KVY was good and then switched seamlessly into a full back role where he didn't venture forward too much. Definitely helped manage the game when Wycombe put us under pressure after Akinfenwa came on
    Bonne - quiet yet brilliant. Made a fantastic goal and some other sweet touches. Personally I think he's playing the lone striker well. Always on the last defender and ready for cheeky moves.

Burgess - had a a good game at LB. Defended well, got forward without over committing and put in a wicked cross that should have been a goal if somebody had attacked it properly. His height was a boon against the aerial bombardment that Wycombe hit us with, he made plenty of headed clearances.

I thought the ref was decent, he didn't get everything right but he did let the game flow as much as he could and he helped make the match what it was. Probably bottled giving Hanlan a second yellow but there were other fouls for both teams that he let go as well.

16. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

An impressive/hilarious stat I've just seen - we are already only twelve goals away from equaling our 'goals scored' record from last season.

17. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

And Bonne has equalled or bettered our top scorer in 5 of the previous 6 seasons already

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  18. itfcptc

True alot more entertaining but we also have a lower points per game ratio than last season.

Buckyohare likes this.
  19. Bigalreigned

Didn’t we start well and tale off last Season?This time we’re doing the opposite so by May we’ll have done much better!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Spanish likes this.
  20. itfcptc

Yes we did, let's hope this upturn in form is more consistent than the last 2 seasons, we had really good starts then tailed off, although we did pick up a little bit towards the end of Lamberts time and then results dropped off a cliff and continued until about 10 games ago.

I'll be pleased of we keep showing the improvement of the past few games even if we miss out on playoffs.