1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wycombe Wanderers vs Ipswich Town

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

The last time Ipswich Town won a league game, fireworks exploded across the sky on the 5th of November. Almost two months later, and with fireworks on the horizon once again tomorrow night, can we start 2020 with a win? As we all know, our record recently has been torrid. One win (and a penalty shootout victory) in the past 13 games is painful reading for a club with serious promotion aspirations. In the past 18 games across all competitions, we have only scored two or more goals on three occasions. Creating opportunities and scoring goals have proved to be key problems over the past couple of months, perhaps best encapsulated by failing to register a single shot on target in the drab goalless draw at home to Gillingham on Boxing Day. Overcoming this poor form is a challenge in itself, without considering our wider issues winning games on television.

The humbling 5-3 defeat away to mid-table Lincoln, a match that would have been enjoyable to the neutral – namely due to our inability to defend and the complete lack of presence we had down the flanks. If we can draw any lessons from the defeat on the weekend, then it’s surely picking a team and formation with an eye on being defensively solid while being able to create goalscoring opportunities. Despite scoring three times, one was a set-piece, the other an own goal, and the third was a fine finish on the break. Creating consistent chances for the team has been an issue for a while. And I believe the time has come to drop the two strikers up top approach, which has been one constant throughout the numerous formation changes and focus on providing additional support in midfield where we’re typically losing games.

Regarding the match against Wycombe on New Years Day, we are fortunate to come up against the league leaders who are coming off the back of three consecutive defeats. Picking a settled starting eleven and formation will hopefully help ensure improved results and performances. Holy, a keeper who has been in and out of the side despite committing no notable mistakes, should be restored to the line-up. The defence must be solidified – therefore, I’d hope for a back four of Kenlock, Wilson, Wolfenden, and Donacien. If the latter is injured, then maybe it’s time for Barry Cotter to come back in the side, rather than rely on Edwards? I’d go for five in midfield, with Garbutt on the left to help support Kenlock. I’d use a central midfield trio of Downes, Dozzell, and Judge (playing the latter in his best position at number 10). I’d give Dobra a chance on the right wing, encouraging him to get forwards. I’d then pick Keane as the lone striker, holding the ball up to play in the wingers and central midfielders, who will hopefully have the instructions to push forward. The likes of Edwards, Chambers Skuse, Jackson, and Norwood have been out of form and should be dropped or rested.

Holy

Donacien (if fit) – Wolfenden – Wilson – Kenlock

Downes – Dozzell

Dobra Judge Garbutt

Keane

If we shake the team up and approach the game as above, I’d go for an entertaining 1-0 win. If we retain two banks of four and the same muddled approach to randomly selecting players and playing them out of position, then we’ll struggle and lose.

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I wish I could see anything other than the misery continuing.2-0 defeat I’m afraid.

3. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

2-1 defeat, don't want Judge or Edwards anywhere near starting 11, actually.....leave them at home!

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Don't know why but I feel we will win this 2-1

5. Spanish

<laugh><laugh> I don't know why either SD, happy new year mate and happy new year to everyone else<cheers>

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  6. Nuggets

Happy new year everybody - the next decade can’t be any worse than this one as a Town fan, can it?

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Happy new year everyone; win, lose or draw.

8. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

If all fit, I'd like us to return to a 532/352
    Chambers, Wilson and Wolfy.
    Donacien and Garbutt
    Downes and Huws
    Jacko, Norwood and Sears

I also think we'll win this one and get back to winning ways. Gonna go for a tight 1 nil, Jacko with a first half goal

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

May 2020 bring us all much Happiness and a shock run of 3 wins, back to top 2!

10. Spanish

Anyone know when Jack Lank will be back, I really liked the look of him before injury

11. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

When fully fit bar Sears and KVY I'd say that today is pretty much as close as it gets to our best line up if it's a 532

12. Spanish

Hmmm, not so sure ptc, think Edwards and Judge are pi$$ poor

fieldmarshall and San Diego like this.
  13. Spanish

Glad Huws is starting tho!

14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!

I've only got audio today, can't seem to find a stream and it's audio only on iFollow as it's a Sky match.

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

Bit more promising this half. More energy about. More likely to get a goal and move on.

More important, our poor form players playing better too.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  16. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Try cricfree mate it's what i'm watching it on, if not try fromhots.com.

San Diego likes this.
  17. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Edwards yes but Judge?? When Wycombe had a break away, he gave up chasing back. Really don’t know what’s happened to him as a player but wouldn’t be in my 1st 11 on this seasons form. BTW. Happy for him to bang in a 2nd hat trick and shove my words down my throat

18. Nuggets

Wolfenden, Downes, Edwards, and Garbutt are looking the best of the bunch. I think the change of formation to 3-5-2 is helping us keep more compact, and we look a better out wide. The strikers are offering very little though and still can’t win long balls. Edwards had a good chance blocked out to Jackson, who fluffed his rebound. Huws looks half fit. Chambers and Wilson struggling against their pacy striker with the long haired, which is leading to many fouls just outside the box. Wycombe should’ve taken lead early on, their lad missed an open goal at the back post.

Honestly though, 0-0 looks pretty fair on balance on play. I’m hoping second half we can make a few more opportunities and take some shots. We always seem to want to play it out wide even when we’re 20 odd yards from goal in the middle of the pitch.

19. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Much better overall today (now watch is let one in!)

20. Southcoastoldgaffer

And here we go, well done Town! 1-0