1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Xhaka as new Arsenal Captain

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Sep 27, 2019.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Ornstein reporting that Xhaka is expected to be announced as permanent Arsenal captain. And that it will be between Auba and Laca for vice-captaincy.

I think most of you know my views on Xhaka and this ludicrous decision, but what are your thoughts on it?

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Poor decision really. Would rather have seen Guendouzi or Lacazette made captain.

We haven't had a decent Captain since Vieira

TheBear, BrunelGooner and Quilllogic like this.
  3. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

The thing that surprises me more than anything is the players were consulted and actually voted for Xhaka as the no. 1 option.

Maybe he's good in the dressing room, maybe he's good with young players, maybe he's an inspirational speaker. But on the pitch, where it matters, he is a liability and he does not offer enough in his position to be a starter. This decision clearly means he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I just don't see why previously Wenger and now Emery think he's such an asset. We've played a lot better without him than with him.

Quilllogic likes this.
  4. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Couldn't care less who the captain is. What is a depressing shocker is that this means Xhaka will be in our first team when fit. I want to cry.

The next managerial search simply needs one question. Will you play Xhaka? If anyone replies yes then their application form goes in the bin.

TheBear likes this.
  5. Bergkamp10

Bergkamp10 Active Member

When you think of past captains:
    McLintock
    Rice
    Adams
    Vierra
    We really haven't done well since, I didn't mind Henry as he led from the front and was a winner. We had Fabregas to just try and keep him happy, same with Van Persie, Arteta was OK, and then there was the likes of Gallas etc etc... We really have not had any great leaders in our team for a very very long time. I have hope long term for Holding. But for now there is no real prime candidate. You hear that Xhaka is good in the changing room and also popular but he really should not be starter in our best 11 tbh am not a fan... All in all a bit sad. I guess I would have had liked to have seen Laca get it....

NLDISRED likes this.
  6. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yeah - Emery seems a bit weird with the whole captain thing.

I dont think Xhaka is a good choice. Personally would have gone with Holding or Aubameyang.

7. NLDISRED

NLDISRED Active Member

Our biggest mistake regarding captaincy was giving it to gallas over gilberto that was the turning point for arsenal

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

This is hilarious, I've said on a few occasions I don't think he's good enough to play in the PL. To be made captain would be a terrible move.

9. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Xhaka - the worst Arsenal captain ever or the worst PL captain ever?

NLDISRED likes this.
  10. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

actually both

NLDISRED likes this.

11. TheBear

No - but he's not good enough.

12. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Emery saying Chaka was wrong to react how he did today. Do you think he will have the captaincy taken off him? Or be dropped for the next game?

I’m interested to see how he deals with it as Xhaka seems to be one of his favourites. Will this have pissed him off and he’ll treat him how he treats Ozil? Or can Xhaka get away with a telling off?

13. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

He is fine.

If you think you can do better, go for a trial at the club, or shut the **** up!

14. astro

astro Well-Known Member

15. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

So basically as long as the Arsenal captain is doing an equal or better job than a non-pro random, then that's good enough for you??

NLDISRED likes this.
  16. ToledoTrumpton

The crucifiction of our players one after another has been going on for about 10 years now. Every time the fans ruin one player they move to the next. I have never known a time in those 10 years, when there wasn't one or more players with the so-called Arsenal supporters hounding them.

If there were a shred of sanity in it, then performances would have got better. Getting rid of so many obvious bad apples, that were so obviously the root of all problems on the pitch would have made things better. But instead, on the contrary, things have got worse.

Player after player has had their confidence shattered for doing very little wrong other than making individual mistakes, some of which have been decidedly arbitrary. Doing this to our players has provided no benefit whatsoever in results or performances. It has however made the players hostile, miserable and must be starting to make players thinking of coming to Arsenal, consider whether it is a good idea.

Of course, the fans believe they are right, but just for a minute consider if you are wrong, and you haven't the faintest idea who was out of position in which situation, and your allocation of blame is entirely arbitrary. What if you don't know who has ****ed up, and are just blaming the nearest person, or the person who has worked the hardest to race back and take one last off-balance attempt to stop a goal? What if that is encouraging defenders to not run back and try to distance themselves from anything that looks like it is going to be a screw up?

That would make all of you morons, the worst fans in the world and complete assholes. And let me tell you that is how Arsenal fans are coming to be recognized.

17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I considered it for just over a minute and concluded with 100% certainty that I'm not wrong. After this careful consideration it is now fact that Xhaka is definitely ****.

18. ToledoTrumpton

Of course your opinion of yourself, might be a tad biased?

19. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

My opinion has been peer reviewed for utmost authenticity by experts in the field of football forum bants.

20. TheBear

Certain players get almost Universally praise: Aubameyang, Lacazette, Bellerin and recently Guendouzi. You know why that is?.. Good performances and a proper work ethic. It's that simple.

Xhaka gets attacked because he is regularly sub-par.