1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yet another point..

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by AWAY IN BC, Sep 8, 2012.

1. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

The back four held on..lucky at times though..by the sound of it..

If only they could play better in the first half...seems like that their game plan...

Comments??

2. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi AWAY IN BC I only listened to the match on the radio but it sounded an evenly matched game with Argyle having loads of shots on target in the 2nd half .... Argyle are improving all the time, so I guess its a case of watch this space :smiley-finger007:

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I listened as well and there are reasons to be more optimistic. This is a very good away point and I think most people if they were taking off the green tints would have said Torquay would win this comfortably. Such a difference again between first and second half. You have to ask the question why Argyle can't start a match how they end it. If they could only play a whole 90 minutes instead of 45. Still, we shouldn't be too critical this time. Next match is Port Vale who banged in 6 today. Deep joy.

4. AWAY IN BC

Hi Go-Pat and of course Sensible.. Sooo much better than last season..What a test next Sat..

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Fletcher is starting out each game with a defensive mentality and going a bit more aggressive later if conditions are right and I think that's the right approach, certainly away from home. Lecointe [a striker even if playing deeper] for Young yesterday and Griffiths for Wotton against Northampton are cases in point.

The club has taken a battering over the last couple of years and Fletcher makes the point in his post match comments that results breed confidence and that "the lads are good players it's just getting that belief in them". The corollary is that defeats destroy confidence and that's to be avoided at the moment.

The results may not always be attractive and we may think points are being thrown away but the good news is that it looks deliberate rather than accidental. I suppose the time will come when there is enough confidence to try to take home games by the scruff of the neck from the outset. Port Vale, currently third may not be the right choice but Bristol Rovers on Tuesday might be an opportunity, if Griffiths is fit....

6. AWAY IN BC

I think you are "spot on" Distant..

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm also inclind to agree with that one notdistant although I do wish he wouldn't. I can see the merits of going away and doing this defensive they must not score bit and playing one up but not at home now. Partly it is to do with confidence and his as much as the team's. Playing Feeney upfront on his own either home or away is not the right move. Feeney has his attributes but being a hold up and lay off player isn't one of them. He seldom wins the ball to do it in the first place. If Fletcher is going to avoid or try to avoid losing away then fine but play a different player up on his own and not him. At home he should trust his players a bit more and be more confident in them if he wants them to be confident. Feeney as a loan striker at home is just so wrong in so many ways. Not only does the away bit aply with him in that he cannot do the hold up bit but we should be mor adventurous. We must start with at least two up there. Feeney and a big boy. The difference in Feeney when he was let loose from his role and had a supply was stark. Clearly it is his game to play off somebody. Griffiths would be the automatic choice and they did welll together as the result showed. Show the lads some confidence and perhaps they will develope some themselves and lose this losing mentality.

8. AWAY IN BC

With the squad that Fletcher selected i think they will do ok...Griffith is the key to play along side Feeney and that hasn't happened much as yet.
    At least Fletcher has a game plan and he's the boss...some days we will like it some days we won't..
    Problem for me over here is i'm probably the only Argyle supporter west of the Rockies..so no one to moan with..lol

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Whilst on hols. in Malta recently I went to my local, as going in the door someone nudged me and behold another Argyle supporter and lives the small port about 5 miles from me for 30 odd yrs. So thats at least 3 of us on the rock! :emoticon-0103-cool:

10. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Small world hp_bedoboy isn't it........I live in Orpington Kent....40 odd years or so...I know of various Pilgrims around....part of PASALB (London Branch).

But on GoS photos I often see a big Argyle flag with Orpington on it..... and as far as I know I've never come across them.....so big world as well.

By the way....I couldn't get on this website Monday evening between 7pm and Midnight anyone else have problems ?

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Yes was playing up a bit Plym.