1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youngsters

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintMarv, May 13, 2021.

1. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

We have had to call on a few youngster's this season and I was just wondering how many if any do you think have done enough to get a chance to feature in and around the first team next season?

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Tella and...umm....Tella.

tomw24 likes this.
  3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Caleb Watts looked OK in his brief appearance.

mowgli likes this.
  4. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Tella the only one who looks like he could make it to me. Djenepo is only 1 year older than him so could maybe throw him in aswell. Though he has regressed this year.

They are wingers though, who are traditionally inconsistent. If they were playing to their maximum most weeks they wouldn’t be at Saints, it is a common problem across most PL teams outside the top 6

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tella looks bright and he's obviously rapid so his pace will cause teams problems. Jankewitz seems to have blown his opportunity here which is a shame because he seems to be a decent prospect.

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Smallbone looks the best of the lot, if he can get over his injury.

thebronze14 and mowgli like this.
  7. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Tella has looked good.

I'd like to see more of Ferry and Jankewitz. Both have been regulars but not given a real chance. Jankewitz obviously ****ed up but I'd like to see him given another go ... Ferry just seems to be filling a spot as he hasn't even got on the pitch yet.

8. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

What is smallbone’s best position? He seems too lightweight for central midfield. But I don’t recall him having major pace or cutting edge for a wide role ...

9. SailorSaint

SailorSaint Active Member

I think that 3 years ago we'd have said the same about JWP. It seems it takes a while for some younger players to build the muscle and learn how to use their body to impose themselves. I suspect that Smallbone's recovery program will include a lot of conditioning work to build muscle mass, which may also have the effect of reducing the likelihood of a recurrence of ligament damage.
    From what we've seen of him so far, he seems to have a great touch, an eye for a pass and the intelligence needed to work in the engineroom of the team, so with a year or two of work on his physique he could be really good there.

10. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Agreed. Tella, Smallbone and Watts only ones to really impress me. Would like to see Jankewitz given a bit more playing time before the season ends.

Can't comment on Ramsey, Ferry or Vokins as not really seen them play. I'm probably more interested in seeing some of the U18s progress next season. Hope to see a couple at least training with the first team toward the mid point of the season and getting cup appearances.