1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Your Dad ....

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jun 9, 2017.

1. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I do that now...<laugh>.. although collect the horseshit from the path near the woods where I live..

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Yep, as soon as I turned 15 I was working in a sports shop on top of my paper round. And on school holidays I was lying about my age working at the Twydale and Grampian Turkey factory. I even bought 20 fags and sold them individually and on Friday night, I was the only one who looked old enough to get served at the offy so I charged people booze and drank for free. If I wanted anything I had to graft for it. Continued when I left school and went full time, working 60-80 hour weeks. Until my mental health ****ed my life up I was flying on work ethic.

3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

My Dad is a role model for me in a lot of respects. The one thing I should say to him is that I love him - don't tell him enough

4. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Tight sod :) just go to the garden center like everyone else does.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  5. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

One of my favourite songs of all time. Lyrically superb and musically excellent. One of my favourites to do

6. mackemwelder

Aye, I did all of that mate, that's just the way it was back then, we never got hand outs unless my dad won on the horses and then i'd get a bag of kets, but never money. Not that he was a gambler like, he would only put a few bob on, more for entertainment value than gambling.

^0-80 hours? luxury mate, I've worked a minimum of 84 each week since the early 90's, most of the time, it has been even more. When I was down the docks with Amec we used to do 7 x 15 hour shifts and I rarely saw my kids as they were tucked up in bed by the time i got home. Hard graft mate, but hard graft never killed anyone and it's what we do to provide for our families.

7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I would have worked more, completely manic. You could only work the hours available in my time mate. Weren't many jobs you could take as many hours as you wanted. Getting jobs full stop was a problem for many. Often I was moonlighting on the quiet but had to pack that in with care work as I had twilight and nights.

mackemwelder likes this.
  8. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

What happened to Tattie picking week? Every October half term the fields were full of kids earning a bit of pocket money for working hard when I was that age. Nowadays it doesn't happen - I told my son to go get a paper round - they're not allowed to employ kids to do that any more apparently!

This is one of the reasons kids have no work ethic any more. They don't earn their respect and can't earn their own money any more until they're "old enough"

9. mackemwelder

Technology mate. In our day the tractor would plough up and down the tattie rows and we'd be waiting with empty sacks to fill up, now they have machines that do the lot. I remember it being back braking work back then so not sure it would be allowed now, more like slave labour when you think about it, but as you say, it instilled a work ethic into us that just doesn't exist in todays kids.

10. MrRAWhite

You can't beat horse muck for your plants man!!

11. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Aye too true - much like @Bri I had a milk round and 3 paper rounds (2 morning one afternoon!) - kitted out the bike with a trailer my dad and I made (Dad's a mechanic so welded it all together) and earned my own money - didn't need pocket money and, even as a kid at school, gave my Mam a tenner a month (which she put in a savings account and gave me back when I turned 18). Think that's why I'm a morning person now - don;t ever sleep much past the sun rising so am normally out with the dogs at 5am!!

mackemwelder and Brian Storm like this.
  12. MrRAWhite

Kids can do paper rounds from the age of 14..All my three kids have either had or got paper rounds.. My daughter who is 15 still has a paper round and also works as a waitress in a bar/restaurant on Sundays.

Brian Storm likes this.
  13. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I prefer mayonnaise or French dressing but whatever floats your boat RAW.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  14. mackemwelder

True mate. When I got my first house I got a tipper load of the stuff delivered on my front drive and had to shovel it all round to the back garden, I wasn't Mr Popular in our street that's for sure :) and talk about **** shoveling :) I did plenty of that. :)

But I had the best lawn in the street :)

MrRAWhite likes this.
  15. mackemwelder

Me too mate, as soon as the sun comes up i'm in the wide awake club, but the dog just looks at me with that " you must be stupid if you think i'm going out at this time of day" look :)

marcusblackcat likes this.
  16. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

My dad was a bit of an amateur inventor and was always in his shed making things out of stuff he nicked from the pit.

He spent ages, with some bits from the mine's telephone exchange, that he fashioned into an early form of satellite navigation.

He rigged it up in his car and set off to see his brother in Hull ....... that was the last anyone ever saw of him <laugh>

17. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

That's what my kids say about me now ...... I deliberately find new lows just to wind them up.

"Where do you get cheap ducks?"

"Dunno."

"Quacksave!" <laugh>

Deleted likes this.
  18. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

My Spaniel would happily walk or run for 23 hours a day and eat for the other hour! I took her on a bike ride - did almost 22 miles around chester le street and stanley. She got home - had a drink and looked at me as if to say "Where we going now"! Impossible to wear her out but she's great to run with and so well behaved on the lead unlike my other three little ****s! (dogs that is!)

Deleted and Billy Death like this.
  19. mackemwelder

Mines a staffie mate and he's 10 now so as long as he gets his two walks a day he's happy, but he just doesn't do mornings. My missus has him spoilt rotten and if he gets the chance to sleep he takes it. Normally his first walk is midday then another around 6:00 and that seems to do him.

Deleted likes this.
  20. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Do they sell cheap pelicans there? I ordered one off the internet last week. The bill was enormous!