1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your favourite games of the 2000-2010 era

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by RichardG, Sep 6, 2018.

1. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

Reading through some of the recollections of Taylor/Brown years on the No New Owners thread has been great. BlackAndAmberGambler - stories and memories such as yours are why I'm writing my book on that decade. I'm very sorry for the loss of your dad too.

I'd find it useful (and I think it would be an enjoyable thread in an international break) if as many of us as possible could list their top 10 games between January 3rd 2000 (when we drew 0-0 with Leyton Orient) and December 29th, 2009 (when we drew 2-2 with Bolton). Bits of explanation are always welcome. Seeing as I'm the one jibbering on right now, I'll start.

1. Hull City 1 Bristol City 0, 2008
    2. Yeovil 1 Hull City 2, 2004
    3. Arsenal 1 Hull City 2, 2008
    4. Sheffield Wednesday 2 Hull City 4, 2004
    5. Hull City 4 Watford 1, 2008
    6. West Brom 1 Hull City 2, 2008
    7. Cardiff 0 Hull City 1, 2007
    8. Fulham 0 Hull City 1, 2009
    9. Hull City 1 Swansea 0, 2003
    10. Watford 0 Hull City 2, 2008

I can't believe I've not found room for the 1-0 at Spurs, the 2-2 at Liverpool, the 4-0 at Bournemouth, the 3-1 at Tranmere, either of the Donny victories in the back-to-back promotion seasons, the 3-2 at Swansea, the 2-0 at Bradford that got us all but promoted in 2005, the 2-1 at Newcastle, the first match against Fulham, Stuart Elliott's 2-1 against QPR, the 5-1 at Northampton, the first game at the KC against Hartlepool, the 5-0 against Southampton, the 1-0 at home to Leeds when Parkin scored, the wins at Leicester, Barnsley, Colchester as we charged up the Championship in 2008, the 3-0 at West Brom in the Prem, either of the 6-1s against Tranmere or Kidderminster. Shows how spoilt we were, I suppose.

My list is fairly predictable, I guess. Three of the top five were agonising for the most part (Bristol City for teh 90 minutes, ditto Yeovil, and Watford until Folan scored), and Arsenal was surreal. I think the Sheffield Wednesday 4-2 was the game on there that I enjoyed the most in its entirety, but it's mainly up there because that was when I began to feel that something special was stirring that was going to be pretty special. I just didn't know how special. The Cardiff and Fulham games were pretty dire but meant so much. I still think that Manucho's goal against Fulham is the one I've celebrated the most. Only Folan's two against West Brom (Match 5 up there) and Watford can really compete.

Anyway, over to you.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd pretty much agree with that list, though I missed the Yeovil game.

I'd also add West Brom 0-3 City 2008.

City 6-1 Tranmere (2004) was a laugh as well.

3. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Was the Tranmere game the one with injured Tranmere keeper?

4. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Yup.

GLP likes this.
  5. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Agreed!

6. Tigerned

Tigerned Active Member

Theodore Whitmore in goal!

7. Quill

Quill Bastard

Another few matches I remember more fondly than others:

Cambrdge United 1-2 Hull City, 2002. This is a really personal fave, as it was my first ever away game. Also, Whittle scored.

Hull City 3-0 Bristol Rovers, 2004. Celebrating that promotion at home after the Yeovil game was bloody great.

Hull City 2-0 Swansea, 2010. It wasn't an amazing game, but it featured John Bostock's thunderbastard strike and also Ashbee's final goal for us on his return from injury.

Norwich City 0-2 Hull City, 2010. Finally ending that horrendous away run, and it was great.

Obviously all the other ones mentioned are all fantastic games too. There's loads of games from 2011 to 2013 I nearly put in, before realising what year they happened. FFS time goes way too fast.

8. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

What on earth are you putting in for the last 3 years at BP?

9. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

In no order.

2008 Watford 4-1.
    Fantastic atmosphere, enhanced greatly after going behind. The subsequent demolition of them made for one of the best drives home we’ve had, anticipating what was to come & what it could lead to.

2008 Bristol City 1-0
    Windass, it was just meant to be.

2002 Scunthorpe 0-1
    My lad’s first, & only, trip to BP. He loved being stood on Bunkers & remembers it still.

2008 Fulham 2-1
    The first step into the unknown. Handled expertly.

2008 Man Utd 3-4
    All day job with some local Man Utd supporting pals. Topped off with a great game, performance & atmosphere. Had texts from two of them during the game saying how great our support was. One of them wishing they were in with us. A better than good day out.

2002 (ish) Shrewsbury 1-1
    Shrewsbury equalised in the last minutes, nothing of note during the game but walking out through their celebrating fans my lad tugged my arm, looked straight in my eyes & said “I want start a fight”. He was hurt & he was hooked. City ‘til he dies. Dad’s job done.

2007 Stoke 3-0
    We won 3 nowt & Myhill saves a couple of pens. Good ****.

2008 Barnsley 3-1
    Ash’s header, Deano combining expertly with Campbell before scoring pretty much as soon as he came on. Topped off with a great away following & atmosphere.

2004 Oxford 4-2
    21500 supporters in the KC. Top of the table clash. A result that for us (& probably many others) turned hope & optimism into belief. Four & half years later we’d be playing in the PL.

2008 Watford 2-0.
    Atmosphere. Ash playing a massive Captain’s part when their dick of a player walked. Myhill’s save. The result. The drive home.

Add
    Any game at Macc Town, it’s a local thing. Win, lose or draw it was always a laugh raking the piss out of friends & colleagues cheering on their “2nd team”.

RichardG likes this.
  10. x

x Well-Known Member

two injured tranmere goalies.

11. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I thought it was, but couldn’t fully remember.

I didn’t want to do an ‘Ehab’.

x likes this.
  12. Altrincham Tiger

Altrincham Tiger Well-Known Member

2004 0-0 v Huddersfield Town. Don't remember it for being a particularly great game, (and Ben Burgess got severely crocked); but more as really gritty battle on the pitch as well as one of the best atmospheres off the pitch. A crowd of over 23,000 if I remember rightly.

2008 2-1 v Crystal Palace. Final home game of the regular season and when Ash headed in the winner a few minutes from time there was a genuine belief that we were actually gonna get promoted.

2010 2-2 v Wigan Athletic. Totally random one this; we'd been all but mathematically relegated and had endured seven or eight games of turgid Dowieness. But the party and carnival atmosphere in the away end that day was hilarious. And I laughed so much when the Wigan stewards barricaded us all in to prevent a pitch invasion, whilst totally forgetting about their own fans - who duly invaded.

City1904 likes this.
  13. Kevin Francis

Kevin Francis Well-Known Member

Feed the scousers, let them know it’s christmas time! I’m sure that was ringing out round the KC

14. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I would describe it as one of the best atmospheres off the pitch , I remember my 6 year old son been absolutely terrified
    seeing some thugs from Huddersfield attacking random City fans on walton street car park

15. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Your favourite games of the 2000-2010 era

Stevie G winning the Champions League for me.

Sir Cheshire Ben and Kempton like this.
  16. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

23,495, it was a record attendance at the KC at the time.

southerntiger likes this.
  17. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

All the major ones have been captured I think so won't run down a list of top 10, winning 4-2 at FC Massive prob number 1 for me, that was the night that really changed things, took us from bottom league scrappers with some potential to a team who could compete with a 'big Yorkshire' team as they were at the time, set us up for promotion to the champo and the better things to come.

A couple of unmentioned games thus far; first the nil nil at WHL when Myhill had a worldie was immense, secondly the 6-0 smashing of Fulham 3rd beating TWS 3-2 at their place under Bruce and a real left field one, beating Bournemouth 3-1 in Marco Silva's first PL match, after 6 months of watching some of the most horrendous football I can remember twas great to see us recover from giving another stupid penno away with some genuinely attractive attacking football, giving us the start of a few months of glorious false hope that we could survive at that level. There were a few games under MS which i'll always think of fondly, beating Liverpool, Watford, Boro and drawing with Man U.

18. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

:biggrin:

19. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

He didn’t just win it for you. He won it for everyone.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  20. Dills double deckers

Dills double deckers Well-Known Member

Anytime we beat Liverpoo followed by my personal views next time I arrived at work.