1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your opinion on mike ashley overall

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jan 2, 2012.

?

Has your opinion of Ashley.....

1. Improved

2. Deteriorated

3. Remained the same

4. No comment

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nufc4life

nufc4life Guest

correct me if im wrong but didnt fred spend every now and then ??? Exactly

2. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

He did spend. The problem was that he vastly overspent and never seemed to be able to budget for the future.

Don't forget he managed to spend all four years of our sponsorship money in one transfer window leaving the club short of a revenue stream for three years.

3. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

Excellent.

4. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Arguments he's put us on a sound financial footing due to inherant good business planning are not without merit, but still totally overrated.

The man is the owner, and in order to make a profit he had to streamline the company, which he has done, and pump a few million in, like he has done. However, the advertising he's acruing from our club is literally almost zero of its potential and dwindling fast, judging by the increasing "Sportsdirect" boards springing up from the ground faster than a zombie Jesus.

Overall, I am inclined to believe his heralding as an economic saviour is a false-dawn, signalling the end of football, not the trasnformation.
    I know it seems convaluted, but the main revenue is corporate related, not tickets or shirt sales. How long can that continue? Till the bourgeois find a new play-thing or fashion? What happens then? The fans will have to cop the strain of over-reaching boards, as what advertisements we have will dry up.

Our situation is not trouble free. Our income depends on the first eleven success more so than some clubs, and if with our current transfer policy we're going to end up limited in the market, we'll peak and decline with player turnover. When we decline, corporate sponsors will also decline, leaving a vicious cycle of dependency on the fan's or Mike's wallet (and it won't be the latter that suffers). So progression will be quite difficult in our current circumstance.

Ashley has done a few things right, but all this talk of money just reveals what most are now blind to, that the traditions of football have been sold already. Considering these traditions were part of the attraction of football, I see a massive deterioration in turnout across the world in all honesty.

5. Up and Hatem

Up and Hatem Member

if it wasn't for the sports direct arena nonsense then i couldn't complain

6. pauljohnhutch

pauljohnhutch Well-Known Member

does any1 know how much of the £111mill that 1 part of his company loaned to the nufc side of his companyis still owed,i do understand that a considerable amount of that debt was morgage type loans from barclays for the construction of the new stands (deal done by s,j,hall)

7. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

It's going down every Sunderland victory. We were in a different world until he took over.

8. Hatem Is A Geordie

Hatem Is A Geordie Active Member

Meh, don't really care anymore, only a matter of time untill his next clanger.

9. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I thought it came from his personal pot

10. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

I think Ashley has done a great job personally. Whilst the PR side of things and Derek Llambias leave a lot to be desired, Ashley has kept himself to himself and gone about his business in a fairly quiet manner. Unfortunately some of his business hasn't been to everyone's taste, but a couple of things stick out for me.

He ploughed £20m of his own money to cover players wages when we were in the Championship. He didn't have to do that and could have insisted to Chris Hughton that the likes of Colo, Gutierrez and Barton were sold to get them off the wage bill, an action which I feel sure would have seen us still in the Championship now.

Transfer deals seem to be a lot more structured. Gone are the days of paying for players over a period of time, and receiving transfer fees in instalments for players sold, which may not seem that big a deal to most people but it means that situations like spunking 4 years worth of Northern Rock money on Michael Owen, whilst at the same time as receiving bit part payments for the sale of Albert Luque will never happen again. If we want a player we have the money there to buy him and pay for him outright. If someone wants to buy one of our players, regardless of who they are....if they want him that badly enough they will have to fork out up front. That's how the Carroll deal went down, and I for one think this is a decent way to do business. It gives us a good bargaining tool I feel.

Overall I'm happy with Ashley and the way he is structuring the club financially.

11. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Bumpety bump..... I will of course do a new poll at the end of the season...

12. Jonas' Dance Teacher

Jonas' Dance Teacher Active Member

Well he's fat, so he must be jolly. Must be a nice man after all.

Could have a worse owner like, Abromovich might have to pay somebody £3billion if the man wins his court case - Chelsea will be ****ed then :p or we could have the Venky's.

So over all, I don't mind him too much, as long as he stays jolly :)

13. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Voted remain the same, but i never hated Cashley (we know what he loves) like some people! Infact i have sung his praises in recent times for the progress we have made and some of the buisness he has done.

14. 2SilverSeahorses

2SilverSeahorses Active Member

Improved, no question.

Many of his worst clangers could have been avoided by better PR and in football, especially Newcastle, where the devotion of a public are absolutely critical this has been woefully undervalued.

It's taken some gut wrenching mistakes and pitfalls to get here but we're in a MUCH stronger position than two years ago, and amazingly/ironically relegation was the best thing that could have happened.
    Now, this relied on instant promotion I should add but we flushed out the big contracts, developed a team spirit and hunger that set us up for what we now enjoy.

Sublime signings, brilliant managerial appointment I hope we keep for many years and an enviably sound financial footing.

I hated the stadium name change but it hasn't changed. It's still St. James's Park and always will be. The soul was long sold in football and I imagine the outcry was just the same when they first put sponsorship on shirts!

The difference is now is that I can see the good and bad decisions as at least being part of a plan and not just a crazy whim, which is vital for trusting this regime...

15. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

I'll maybe form a new opinion if he doesn't sell loads of players, normally when he does something nice, he does something **** afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.