1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Top 3 Races This Christmas

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Dec 18, 2020.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Not long until the festive season upon us and there are, as always, plenty of top class races to keep us entertained. SO which 3 races are you most looking forward to over the holiday period and why? Here are mine:

1. King George - so often the highlight of Christmas for me with the exploits of Dessie and Kauto Star still fresh in my memory. It will be perhaps a little subdued this year with no crowd but the race never fails to live up to its billing, even if it is often a small field affair. Paul Nicholls looks to hold the aces this year with reigning Champ Clan Des Obeaux and the hugely impressive Charlie Hall winner Cyrname, but hopefully we will see a strong challenge from Ireland (Henry de Bromhead seems very keen to run Monalee) and who knows maybe even Waiting Patiently ;)

2. Savills Gold Cup - a stunning entry list (I count 13 rated 160 or higher) and this is another race which very rarely disappoints. The 2012 renewal, where Flemenstar breezed towards the final fence looking all over the winner only to be overhauled by First Lieutenant and Sir Des Champs and then the Gigginstown pair gobbled up on the line by the fast-finishing Tidal Bay is one of the most heart-stopping races I have ever seen.I've no idea who might win this year's renewal but it will be a blinder.

3. Christmas Hurdle (Kempton) - although not always ultra-competitive I just love the way those slick, speedy 2 mile hurdlers whizz around Kempton. This year we will hopefully get to see whether anything can lay a glove on Epatante but all evidence to date would suggest this will be a penalty kick for the mare (albeit very easy on the eye).

karlos5001, Ron and Reebok like this.
  2. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Can I be the first cynical one to say any race where I've picked the winner?

I can wallow in the nostagia of past Boxing day meetings as much as anyone, and who knows, maybe this year's will throw up some just as memorable races.
    But they are always better when your selection comes good :)

karlos5001, Ron and OddDog like this.
  3. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Does the 22nd count as Christmas?

4. OddDog

Staff Member

Why not? I just meant the general Christmas / New Year extended window. I don't see a Southwell card on the 22nd though Nass <laugh>

Ron and NassauBoard like this.
  5. NassauBoard

1:35 old boy

6. OddDog

Staff Member

True enough - I remember the year Cue Card got up to pip Vautour - I was in hospital after my first bike accident and had a decent win bet on Cue Card. With 2 left to jump the wife came to visit me (I was watching the race on the laptop). She came in and said asked how I was and I said "hang on a minute - Come on Cue Card". Luckily she saw the funny side <laugh>

Reebok and Ron like this.
  7. OddDog

Staff Member

Aha - the project <ok>. Good man - best of luck. Is he going to win?

NassauBoard likes this.
  8. NassauBoard

<laugh> I asked him this morning, he didn’t reply.

The lass who rode him calls him Lazy Boris so that tells you what he shows at home!

OddDog likes this.
  9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How are you Reebs?

10. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

The race to the dinner table once the Turkey is carved up is mine.
    Love the KG, I was in Lanzarote when Thistlecrack won a few years back, superb performance it was too.

karlos5001, Ron and NassauBoard like this.

11. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

1) Number one for me over the Xmas period has to be the King George. It's a Christmas tradition to sit down around 2.30pm to get ready to watch that. I am looking forward to watching this year's renewal especially as Nass has dismissed Cyrname's chance in this and I look forward to egg on face time for him come Boxing Day..:emoticon-0105-wink:
    2) Has to be the Welsh slogfest that is known as the Welsh National (when it survives the weather). Love this race which is steeped in tradition.
    3) I m not sure the Kauto Star Novices chase attracts the best field ever but I like it as a warm up for the King George. In between carving up the meat and pouring out some wine and/or necking some more lager if I can get this on without the family moaning too much I ve done well..

Lets hope the King George is a cracker..
    :emoticon-0167-beer:<bubbly><cracker>

karlos5001, Ron and OddDog like this.
  12. stick

stick Bumper King

ABSOLUTELY NOT...!!!!!!

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That reminds me. I forgot to put Mars Ice cream on the shopping list. Oh well, maybe home made banoffee pie again; but that is not a project for me, oh no

Good luck Nass

14. NassauBoard

upload_2020-12-18_18-31-57.jpeg

15. stick

stick Bumper King

16. NassauBoard

So obviously the answers in the correct order are

King George - The lovely sense of repeat winners of this race, Kauto Star, the Christmas Star. Then you have the hype horses, Vautour, Champagne Fever, Footpad, Master Minded, who all make the market for horses with the course & distance form. Good times!!

Welsh Grand National - Some massive results in this race, it normally brings either a dour stayer to the fore or a proper staying chaser for the big races. It is one of few handicaps in the season that has been strong in the last decade. A proper test and a race that is normally entertaining to watch.

Desert Orchid - not normally a big field, but this goes in purely because of Altior and Sprinter Sacre and the fact that this year we can have the Christmas game of Guess Who. Actually, Guess What? As in, What will Nicky Henderson use as the excuse to pull Altior from a clash with Put The Kettle On and Duc De Genievre.

karlos5001 likes this.
  17. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

So, so Ron. Out of hosptal on Tuesday, started displaying some possible covid symptoms today. Test kit ordered.
    I feel that the sympoms are from other issues I have, but the test will confirm I guess. Thanks for asking :)

18. OddDog

Staff Member

This is what I mean about the Christmas Hurdle - some top class horses here (mostly owned by JP McManus)

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

I hope you are well, I have been more than twenty days in the hospital for COVID, ten of them in the ICU. Still I have not recovered.

Regarding the question after what I've been through, anyone seems good to me but I really like Welsh Grand National, in fact I have a bet on Prime Venture 25/1 e/w. I hope goes ahead.

Reebok and OddDog like this.
  20. OddDog

Staff Member

Hope you are feeling better <ok>

Pilgrim likes this.