1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth & Loanee Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, Aug 22, 2015.

1. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Well, those shelves won't fill themselves! :grin:

I like him as a player, in fact, there are a good number of promising youngsters, more than ever before I'd say.

Bodes well for the future. Lets face it, we're not going to be buying big, so a few of these guys could be getting their chance.

RiverEndRick, JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just seen this - Breidablik won the league title in 2010 and were runners-up in 2012 and 2015. The club has built a reputation for developing young talent, including Swansea’s star midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson and Burnley winger Johann Berg Gudmondsson.
    Norwich dealt with the Icelandic club in January of this year as well, when signing Iceland Under-17 international midfielder Agust Hlynsson for an undisclosed fee.

zogean_king and ncgandy like this.
  3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I wonder if this was arranged back then? Perhaps Agust will go back with him until the 30th.

JM Fan likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

SuffolkCanary and canary-dave like this.
  5. RiverEndRick

It's brilliant that JM is going back to Coventry to coach youngsters rather than go on holiday. Hopefully he'll come back sharp for the pre-season and push on from there like Jacob did last summer. It'll be tough with Wes and AP ahead of him, though Wes will probably play more on the left next season. The video of his free-kick is great, but this compilation gives a good idea of him at his best:

ncgandy likes this.
  6. RiverEndRick

Just seen that Jamal Lewis and Joe Crowe have earned their maiden call-ups to the Northern Ireland Under-21s squad.

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/may2/crowe-lewis-ni-under21s/

From the photograph it looks like Crowe is a left-footed CB. Hopefully FB and especially ER can bring Crowe and Efete on to senior squad level.

7. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum but Andreu and Matthews went head to head in the Scottish Premiership Play-off finals over the weekend. Hamilton held onto their Premiership status, aided by 2 clean sheets from Remi Matthews.

8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apparently Matthews made a very impressive fingertip save from Andreu too!

9. Carbrooke Canary

Carbrooke Canary Active Member

Speaking of keepers, I thought Joe Lewis played a blinder for Aberdeen in the cup final the week before too!

10. SuffolkCanary

There are "highlights" (I use the term very loosely) of both games on youtube. Matthews made a number of smart saves, some you would expect him to make but a couple of good finger tip saves

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

It's love to see Joe come home and at 6' 6", he's certainly got a distinct height advantage.

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I thought this was an excellent article http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...hers-follow-the-same-path-as-the-murphy-bros/ and highlights the dilemma for AN last season. With the ever increasing ‘no-shows’ by the senior players, many of us were clamouring for the title of this article, but no, AN stuck doggedly to persisting with those players who had failed him countless times.

There’s a comment by our very own ‘Supers’ and I also liked comment #9, from another fan who has attended a few of our under 23 games – “The likes of Cantwell and Middleton are ready to step up in my opinion and others such as Adams and Jaiyesimi, McIntosh and Ashley Seal frequently catch the eye.”

SuffolkCanary and canary-dave like this.
  13. RiverEndRick

It will be interesting to see how our young players get on this pre-season and then in the league after that. Certainly the Murphys, Maddison, Thompson, Godfrey, Morris and Toffolo will be involved, and hopefully Adams and Efete will get chances as well. Speaking of the latter, he seems to be getting on well in Iceland:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/june/efete-iceland/

14. RiverEndRick

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

canary-dave likes this.
  16. RiverEndRick

It's interesting that Maddison is no longer considered a 'younger player' even though he just turned 20. Thompson is now 22 so, like the Murphys, is definitely no longer considered a 'younger player', as with Carlton Morris and Harry Toffolo at 21. This is a big year for all of them, young or old.

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes Rick, I feel it's 'make or break' for the rest of the FA Youth Cup winning side this season and we've actually done quite well to get both the twins into the first team, as I don't think any of the Chelsea squad we beat in the final are playing first class football.

18. SuffolkCanary

Any word on how Efete has been getting on in Iceland?

19. RiverEndRick

The last I heard was that he'd played 6 games and was enjoying it and learning from the experience.

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Under 23s in pre-season friendly against Kings Lynn this evening and quite a strong line-up -
    Oxborough: Efete, Odusina, Wright, Ramsay; Phillips; Jaiyesimi, Andreu, Cantwell, Middleton; Xavier. Subs: Hallett (GK), Arrons, Wallis, Catton, Kamal, Sambu, Hlynsson, Higgs, Fleming, Aranisibia.

KL take the lead from a Free Kick