1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth & Loanee Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, Aug 22, 2015.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this is partially by design to be fair. If you look back to our FA Youth cup winning side from 2013, those players should all be in their prime now. But I think the Murphy's, Morris, Toffolo and McGeehan are the only ones playing in the top 4 divisions. Whilst that Chelsea side they played contained Loftus-Cheek and Christensen, who are now in the Chelsea first team, Chelsea also had 40 players out on loan that season who had an average age of 21.

It's more important that our youngsters follow a development path which maximises their potential as individuals, rather than worrying about the results of a collective youth team. For the 23 players in our U23 squad this season, that's meant 12 going out on loan (once or more), and 3 moving up to the first team. I believe 14 of that squad are young enough to have still played for the U18s had we wanted them to. Even Idah could have still played U18's this year.

The club choose to deliberately hamper our youth teams in favour of player development in terms of tactics too. We play 4-4-2 in the U23's and U18's not because we think it's the right tactic to win games, but because it means we get two strikers on the pitch for 90 mins each game. Strikers are the most valuable position to develop, so it make sense to prioritise their development.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Plus Nathan Ake, if I remember correctly, who is now highly coveted at senior levels.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  3. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Gassan Ahadme, U23 striker, has been loaned to Real Oviedo for the season. That's a great opportunity for him if he can get game time. A big club with a 30,000 capacity stadium in the Spanish second tier.

4. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

5. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Surprised we aren't looking at a League 1 loan for him. He looks to be one of our better prospects, and he's already played at that level briefly with Rochdale (I think).

I guess the Dutch leagues worked for Cantwell as an alternative to league 1, and he'll probably get more minutes?

6. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

7. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I think this is the arrangement we've had in several loan agreements since Neil Adams took over? The loanees come back pretty frequently and train together (and with the other squads). Obviously that's a lot easier if he's in Kings Lynn!

zogean_king and RiverEndRick like this.
  8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Isak Thorvaldsson has had his loan to St Mirren cut short, and he's been loaned to an Icelandic side instead.

I'd guess there's personal reasons behind that, rather than thinking that the Icelandic league will help his footballing development more.

9. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

If we move on from 2013 to 2016-17 the Academy One status begins to bear fruit with Maddison, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell maturing early. That's a great pay back for what we've invested and there are more coming along now like Idah, Martin (by way of Arsenal), Famewo and Thomas. We're also gaining a good reputation for helping young players break through and that makes recruitment easier.

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Godfrey came from York, Aarons and Lewis from Luton, so is Famewo. Thomas was let go by Huddersfield. Cantwell is perhaps the only one to come through the ranks from the younger age groups. We also have several Arsenal "rejects" that look promising. I'm not sure that we can say Cat 1 status has helped in the younger age groups yet. That said, a reputation as an excellent finishing school, and somewhere for those cast aside by bigger clubs to get a second break, is no bad thing.

11. RiverEndRick

That's a big part of youth development, IMO. Maddison came from Coventry and Aarons was also at Luton, but their decision to sign for us was related to our investment in the academy to bring it up to PL level. Those who invested in the bond scheme can take satisfaction from that. Would the Arsenal 'rejects' have come to us if we hadn't upgraded? Skipp referred to the facilities at Colney as one of the reasons he came to us. Farke's reputation for bringing young players on is another. It's all part of SW's long term development plan. This is why I wasn't devastated by last season. We're building something much bigger than a single season - it just requires a bit of patience.

12. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

13. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Matthew Dennis is doing well for the u23s another Arsenal reject coming good .

14. RiverEndRick

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

The pass from Hondermarck here is exceptional.

16. RiverEndRick

17. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

Drmic gets a run out

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

Omobamidele gets a header from a corner , Sinani scored a tap in and Drmic makes it 3-0 chesting it down and smashing it home.

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

Filmed on the surveillance camera