1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zaha says he has no respect for Guly Do Prado - London 24 News

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Downthe36

Downthe36 Well-Known Member

To be fair he said, I never look at someone and think they were better than me, unless they were Ronaldo or Messi. A lot can get lost when something is written down instead of spoken. I think what he was trying to say is that he doesn't step onto the pitch and stand in awe of the other players, which is exactly the right attitude to have.

The Ronaldo/Messi comment was probably a light hearted quip at the end, but it doesn't make as good a newspaper story if you pop "he joked" at the end of the quote does it?

2. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

Is it possible for somebody to copy the article here for me? For some reason I'm having trouble reading the article other than the opening paragraph, most odd.

Hope all's well with everyone back home btw, I'm spending a bit of time travelling away at the moment and the time zone is quite inconvenient!

3. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Here we go!

England new boy Wilfried Zaha says his arrogant streak has provoked the likes of Southampton midfielder Guly do Prado and Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet in the past.

The talented 20-year-old’s sparkling form for the Championship leaders looks set to earn him his first England cap in Wednesday’s friendly against Sweden.

Zaha has not always proved popular with opponents, but the youngster is happy to make his point on the pitch and let others do the talking.

He told national newspapers: “Last season Guly do Prado at Southampton grabbed me and said ‘Respect me’. I’m thinking, ‘I don’t know you, I don’t care who you are, so why should I?’

“It even happens before games now. Brighton’s manager Gus Poyet said Will Buckley is better than me, but I don’t see the point of coming out with nonsense like that.

“Now I don’t bite, I just keep my head down and don’t care.

“When I’ve got the ball at my feet I do wonder what goes through a defender’s head when the Palace fans are singing ‘He’s just too good for you’.”

4. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

Hmmm how strange. Seems like an odd thing for Guly to say, and stranger that Zaha thought it was of great enough importance to single him out with a few others.

Thanks SF4L!

5. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha, 20, got a rude awakening before his possible England debut when Sweden coach Erik Hamren admitted: "I've never heard of you."

Full story: the Sun

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Have never liked it when someone demands respect just because of who they are, but doubt Guly would say it without a reason. I was beginning to get annoyed at Zaha but now accept that he may have been misquoted as well, so good luck to him today.

7. RLSGM

RLSGM Member

I'm sorry but, as a football player myself, low standard obviously, I can ensure everyone that there is atleast 1 case of handbags on a pitch every game. This is just one of them. Guly has gone to wind him up, and it worked wonders as Zaha went off to cry about it to the Sun, what a tool.

For some reason football brings out peoples dark side! Always has done always will do, everyone knows who the biggest tossers are, and you just gotta accept that its fighting talk to aggrevate opponents. Craig Bellamy being the worst case of this, clearly Guly gives it a go..

8. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Zaha seems to have a pretty good memory of this specific incident that occured in a match around a year ago.

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Bit pot and kettle....a football fan can remember a slight from twenty years ago:)

10. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Yes...even ones that never actually happened :laugh: