1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zola set for QPR job?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Queenslander!!

Queenslander!! Well-Known Member

Yeah , thats good...im fully behind that.

i suppose it depends on if we want immediate success or if we can wait.

Personally, i want our club back playing our brand of football. id love the youth to be given a chance otherwise its a waste of time having a EDS / youth team.
    im not sure of your age, but i got into QPR because oof the style of football we played..."the arsenal of the 80's" i suppose.

I like Zola but just dont think he'd be here long term...TBH

2. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

The time may be right for Zola. Still young by manager standards but with some decent experience in English football behind him including the inevitable mistakes from which he will have learnt. I still lust after those first few months under LDC when we played the nearest thing to 'QPR style' that I have seen for the last 20 years.

3. rrrrrs

rrrrrs Well-Known Member

Ahhhh LDC, now there's a man I'd like to see back. Anyone that can make Dave Agymang look & play like a decent striker gets my vote every time.

4. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Haven't got any problems with zola good football brain & had watford/hammers playing attractive football, alternative de matteo or steve clarke, hoddle been mentioned but not sure, but harry is still here & hope he succeeds in what he preaches promotion.

5. 1982_Ranger

1982_Ranger Well-Known Member

I'd like Di Matteo, thought he did a good job at West Brom. Someone recently said (may have even been you) that for reasons known to them it wouldn't be a good idea though.

6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Sorry Sylvio. I put who I want for the rest of this season on a few other threads. I think Colin, Laudrup or Malky would all be an improvement on Arry for the rest of this season, and for me getting us up now while still possible is the big in fact only priority. I believe these 3 all could be available as of yesterday.

Longer term rather depends on which League we will be playing in next season, and who is possibly available May. If OGS doesn't keep Cardiff up he may well get sacked, and be a good man for us longer term. But there could be many other good possibles in May.

7. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Watford fan in peace. All credit to those of you who have referred to him giving youth a chance, as the media ignored that only Middlesbrough played more home-grown players in the Championship last season than us. It was the situation with us under GZ this season that if teams were trying to stifle us because there was no pace up front, there seemed to be no Plan B. That was highlighted by a run of 5 or 6 home games in a row without scoring including Yeovil and Sheff Wed before he left.

At both WHU and us, he has worked with a director of football (Gianluca Nani) and there are questions starting to be asked of him at the moment, especially after last week's signing of Lucas Neill when Beppe Sannino said that it would be disrespectful to the players that have been here all season if Neill was to go straight into the team for Saturday's game at home to Blackpool, which makes me think that signing wasn't Sannino's call, so if there is to be no DoF, could Zola's judgement in the transfer market be trusted?

8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It was me mate. I know people who are very well connected at WBA. They tell me he did virtually nothing, didn't take training, didn't check out potential new players except by phone, didn't motivate the team. I suspect Terry and Lampard ran the team when he was at Chelsea too.

9. Queenslander!!

I will SB

Ive repeatedly called for Olle G Solskar or Laudrup.

Zola is a NO for me ATM.

I like his style but ithout the connections he had at Watfor...he'd be limited....

We need a new man and back hinm for 5-10 years...Pearson will be sacked by xmas...what about him ?

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Cheers lads, its going to be an interesting few months. Even though I wouldn't mind Zola, I think its more important for the board to give us some direction, timescales for achieving things etc etc. We can't pick a manager without knowing that - is there a QPR style we want to foster, are we a 'win at all costs, league position is all' club, at what stage is it ESSENTIAL that we get into the Prem, what kind of player transfer budgets and contracts will we have, do we sign 'marquee' names because of East Asian marketing potential etc etc. If you don't have these in place then everything becomes the 'cult of the manager' and we know where that leads.......we need to pick a manager to deliver a vision, not pick someone to tell us what his vision is.

PS I think style and success go hand in hand, though some seem to think they are mutually exclusive, Leicester, Burnley and Derby are playing the best football in the division, and where are they

11. QPR Oslo

I agree. I understood though that TF has said promotion this season is the big priority, essential as I got him. Question for me is are the owners no longer willing to shell out for it? With the careful transfer business January and so far his apparent reluctance to fund a change of Manager, I begin to wonder.

12. Queenslander!!

NO NO & NO mate

For me, playing football our ay is the most important thing. i dont really care what league we ae in as long as i can tune in// tun up an watch "the beutifull game" being played as it should be

Leicester dont do that but Burnley do..thats why i put then as the best team..I want 20 pass goals, i want 1 on 1 strikers..i want ball on the floor players......Yes adel was all of these, but i also want a team...

Thats just my personal thoughts but its why i fell in love with our club...

13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think he's said that he wants promotion this year, but its not a catastrophe if we don't get it. At some stage it will be a catastrophe if we have a 40k stadium to fill and FFP fines to pay. I suspect TF is not over confident in Harold's judgement, given how 'his' players are performing. Plus his experience with the Hughes influx and Colin's panic buys. At the same time our biggest assets - Taarabt, Remy and Cesar - are all playing for someone else, surplus to the current incumbent's requirements. He may want to stop chucking money at the club for bit, make Harold live with what he has created, and retire in the summer. I can't see what a new manager would bring now, except earlier preparation for next season (at a club without a chief scout), we haven't got a goalscorer FFS.

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

No, no and no to what Queens?

15. QPR Oslo

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

17. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

A bit difficult to judge Zola's time with us because he appeared to have little to do with comings and goings at the club. The system under the Pozzo ownership being to flood the club with players and let the manager simply get on with making the best out of what he has available. Last year it worked for a while and had us playing some of the most attractive football seen at the Vic for a long time. This year it was all change again with a new crop of players to integrate into English football - most of whom didn't come up to scratch. I think if Harry were to go then Laudrup would be a better replacement than either Zola or Mackay (Malky can have players believe they can run through walls, and could well get you promoted - but he's not yet a premiership manager).

18. DT Footspa

DT Footspa Well-Known Member

What manager apart in the UK from AW and SAF DM have had a stable managerial career?

In fact what is a career?

My darkest day was when i witnessed the meat pies singing at LR Harry Redknapp's blue and and white army.

Zola today? because we lost three in a row? :

Derby where we lost by 1 goal and had nearly sixty percent of the ball

Reading we had a dreadful off day

Charlton last minute

I have to defend the man Redknapp needs to get it right but amazed that anyone would want a change now seriously ... he ain't leaving so why even waste your time thinking about it

19. QPR Oslo

20. QPR Oslo

We have to dream a little Dave! Hope you are as right about him not leaving (pushed or shoved) as you were about us winning this league by 10 ponts, tho you are probably on safer ground with this one!