1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Four men went to mow....

Discussion in 'Aberdeen' started by Psychosomatic, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Broken news: Pittodrie Stadium is up for sale.

Yes, but without first having built the new stadium, sonny, it also takes the club a step closer to enforced ground-sharing with Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

There is a plan to build housing where Pittodrie once stood. This will likely come as depressing news to Aberdeen chairman, Stewart Milne of The Stewart Milne Group ("one of the UK’s leading independent homebuilding, construction and development companies"), and Aberdeen hearts must surely bleed for him. Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time for the kleptocracy.

2. Psychosomatic

Some pictures of what the new stadium will look like:

please log in to view this image

This should allay any and all fears.

3. Psychosomatic

[video=youtube;UoaVi3eC9kA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoaVi3eC9kA[/video]

Can only be watched with the sound down.

4. ManDingo 20"/20"

ManDingo 20"/20" MDMA Guru

Why is it one of the songs your lot sing?

On a side note I'm actually looking forward to trips to new Aberdeen stadium looks good, what yous calling it?

5. Psychosomatic

Hello MD, how are you doing?

You're looking forward to visiting the new ground? Hmm. I can sort of see why, I suppose, fair enough. This is one of the few things I appear to get all misty-eyed and nostalgic about, however. If I look at old clips of Aberdeen matches I can always pick my grandfather out in the stand (he sat in the directors' box - and no, he wasn't a director), wearing the same manky coat and hat, breathing the club and loyal to the core. I'm left wondering what Aberdeen may mean to me when the ground itself is demolished and that feels sad. I know, I know, I need to get a grip - but still. It hurts a bit, in a non-definable sort of way. It maybe feels like change for the sake of change. The old ground, although increasingly dilapidated, seems perfectly sufficient to me. Or, to put it another way, it seems a shame to erase a physical place packed with (personal) history for the sake of......I don't know.

Still, if the new stadium gets up and running (and it remains a big if), I'm sure people will make their own (new) personal histories. And so it goes on. (Hand that man a violin.) I rarely get the chance to go these days (just three times last season, for instance), but I'm sure I'll be happy enough - in a grudging sort of way - to pay the new stadium a visit.

Not that I'm a moaning bastard or anything. No. Never. The very thought.

The naming rights for the new stadium are up for grabs, incidentally. If you have a spare fiver, MD, you can probably call it whatever you like.

6. ManDingo 20"/20"

I actually make a point to goto a lot of Aberdeen matches, great atmosphere between the fans and I've lived in Aberdeen so i usually stay the night for the nightlife.

I get your point about the nostalgia personally I could never see a move away from Ibrox i would never get over it in my lifetime anyway.

Hopefully you don't get some silly ****ing group wanting to back the stadium thats all we need in Scottish fitbaw.

7. Psychosomatic

You lived in Aberdeen? Snap. In reverse. Almost. (Were you a student there? I'm trying to think what else might draw someone towards living in Aberdeen.)

I stayed in Ibrox/Govan as a tramp/student and had a view of the stadium from my flat. I went to see Aberdeen get brutalised, obviously, but I also went a couple of times just to see Gascoigne and Laudrup play. (Well worth the money on both occasions.) You're right, though, the atmosphere at Aberdeen Rangers games is pretty good. At Ibrox, I had a sense that Rangers fans properly despised us, which added a magical edge of tension. It was better, obviously, in the days when Aberdeen took more fans to Glasgow, but even nowadays the atmosphere remains pleasingly fraught.

Right so, have a good Saturday night.

8. ManDingo 20"/20"

Yea i lived in Shetland for a few years and when i moved back down to the mainland i found a job working as harbor security up in Aberdeen, chasing away prostitutes etc was quite an easy going job, long hours though.

Likewise enjoy yer night <ok>