1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

QPR Stadium

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by CanariesSoccer, Jul 7, 2012.

1. CanariesSoccer

CanariesSoccer Well-Known Member

Just seen on twitter QPR are set to announce plans for a 35,000 seater stadium.

Have no idea where they'd find the space for it and whether they'd fill it.

Full marks for ambition though, hope it's properly costed and doesn't end up ruining them financially like Southampton.

2. BillyNCFC

BillyNCFC Well-Known Member

It's probably so they can bring ticket prices down, £50 for an FA cup game is out of order to the fans in my opinion no wonder only 14k turned up

3. TheLoneRanger

TheLoneRanger Well-Known Member

The stadium apparently will have a retractable roof so it can be used for concerts and all sorts of events. The cost is to be around £180 million, but in the long term won't cost the club a penny as it will pay for itself with all these events.

4. stilljaroldcanary

stilljaroldcanary Well-Known Member

Best of luck to them, probably should be concentrating on getting a firm PL status first, glad our board are being more realistic I want my club to be here whatever happens not become the next Rangers or Pompey

5. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

When they qualify for the UEFA cup they will bring in the plastics and fill this new stadium.

6. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

35k is the optimum capacity for a side like qpr. any more than that i'd worry it'd ruin them. good for them that they seem to be heading in the right direction after a turbulent few months

7. tipsycanary

tipsycanary Well-Known Member

How long do you believe it would take a £180 million stadium to pay for itself? Even if there are extra events I imagine it is quite a while. Having said that I don't suppose money is a massive issue due to rich backers, more important to have a stadium that you can fill.

8. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

There will be an extra £800k in per game. thats £15m per season. It will also be used for concerts, maybe a hotel and conference centre so it will take less than 10 years.

Other reports have said its 45k but hopefully we will see on Monday.

9. tipsycanary

I'm not so sure. You have to pay for the upkeep, extra policing etc plus paying interest on money borrowed (if any) and you will not receive all ticket revenue from other events. I would expect it to take at least 25 years or so, however it is often more beneficial to pay the money off slowly rather than large lump sums, so providing you maintain a high league status it may work to your advantage. Saying this there is no doubt you need a new stadium so it is a price that needs to be paid at some point, but no way it would pay for itself in 10 years

10. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

this is massively, massively optimistic! it would more likely take 20 years to cover the cost, and even that would be ambitious. the emirates is almost twice the size but cost twice as much, and that is estimated at 30 years to pay off. and they charge obscene amounts to go and watch their team as well as spending chaff all on signings, though i'll admit their wages are competitive, even if not competitive enough for their fans to be happy!

11. Beefforhire-NCFC

Beefforhire-NCFC Well-Known Member

New stadium/retirement home.

12. tipsycanary

Graveyard <ghost>

13. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

i think that's a little unfair. they normally create a half decent atmosphere inside loftus road. doubt they'd get that in a new ground though

14. tipsycanary

I do wonder how many they can expect to get in a new 35,000 seater stadium on an average match day. Currently I would be surprised if it was more than 25,000 all depends on results I guess

15. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

well chelsea are debating a new stadium that holds 50k, thats an increase of just under 8k on their current stadium. they are a bigger club than qpr, much bigger, yet they don't think they can increase their current attendances by much more than they currently get. i think qpr are a fairly similar size club to ourselves based on history and general long term prospects and i think 35k would be absolute maximum for them. not totally sure they'd fill that to be honest...

16. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

Poor old QPR they cant do anything right. They have blew it many times before, havent they? So they have to blew it again? They just survived last season after turbulenced incidents and wont be much better next season no matter who they sign for this season. They are highly illusioneded when they dream about new stadium and if they get one then who the hell is going to pay it. If some billionaire is stupid enough to buy that stadium to them where the hell they are gonna get enough spectators for it???? 35.000 Stadium when they could not sold out 18.500 poxy Loftus Road every time???? Poor old QPR how on earth anybody is willing to support them with that kind of owner as Tony Fernadez is ????

17. YellowLittle

YellowLittle Well-Known Member

In all fairness to QPR I think Ji Sung Park will be good signing, but they need to stop signing OAPs

Good luck with stadium though!

18. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

These things take time. Our core fanbase is around the 14000 mark right now, much like Fulham's who were getting 5000 in not so long ago, but with a bit of success, realistic ticket prices and solid marketing they get close to 30000 in, so I don't think it's too ridiculous to think we could do the same.

19. Carra_Rud

Carra_Rud Active Member

I would seriously worry about QPR if the worst happened to them in the coming season. I doubt they'll go down, but it is certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

It would be interesting to see if all the plans that they are making stop if they do go down. If they don't, their owners are going to have to dig even deeper into their pockets than they are currently.

20. Beefforhire-NCFC

Beefforhire-NCFC Well-Known Member

QPR Building a new stadium = Portsmouth 2.0

It's like the venkys saying they wanted Blackburn in the hampionship league in a few years

It's a beautiful thing to watch