1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bolton Fan In Peace - Q&A Session

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Manny, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

Hi guys,

I am from a Bolton website called Burnden Aces and I hoped you may be able to help us with a Q&A feature we do with opposition fans ahead of each game.

You'll more than likely have seen similar features on other sites in the past. Basically, I will post several questions and await your responses. The person or people with the best answers will have them featured on our website in an article that will go live on Friday afternoon.

If you would be so kind to provide us with some answers, here are the questions:

--------------------------------
    Last season's 8th placed finish was Hull's best since returning the Championship in 2010. Having spent two years in the Premier League prior to that, what has stopped the club mounting a promotion challenge since?

From the outside looking in, Steve Bruce was a surprise managerial appointment over the summer. How did the fans feel at the time and have opinions changed since the season began?

Phil Brown is a name synonymous with Bolton Wanderers' past. He took Hull into the Premier League, but left the club under a bit of a cloud prior to their relegation. What is the fans' opinion on the job he did at the KC Stadium?

The transfer deadline is fast approaching. What business have you done so far and are you confident of securing more signings before the window shuts?

Which player(s) do you think Bolton will have to be cautious about when they visit the KC on Saturday afternoon?

Which Bolton player(s) do you think will cause the biggest threat to your chances of victory?

Bolton have been tipped as potential title candidates this season, but have struggled thus far. Where do you think the Wanderers will finish?

What do you think the final score will be when the two sides meet on Saturday?
    --------------------------------------

Whoever gets their answers chosen will have their username featured in our article and full links back to this thread will also be included so BWFC fans can view all the answers you provide.

If you would like a similar feature doing in return, I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

2. Barmbys_Tan

Barmbys_Tan Well-Known Member

Last season's 8th placed finish was Hull's best since returning the Championship in 2010. Having spent two years in the Premier League prior to that, what has stopped the club mounting a promotion challenge since? I'd say that it all comes down to we just haven't been good enough in the goals department and also other factors such as 3 managers plus a takeover since we have been back

From the outside looking in, Steve Bruce was a surprise managerial appointment over the summer. How did the fans feel at the time and have opinions changed since the season began? At the time it was split many disgusted at the way barmby was treated but i think most will have grown to him, our loss to Doncaster had fans calling for his head already

Phil Brown is a name synonymous with Bolton Wanderers' past. He took Hull into the Premier League, but left the club under a bit of a cloud prior to their relegation. What is the fans' opinion on the job he did at the KC Stadium? We are all grateful for what he did but then the way the club was left on turmoil because of him still annoys most of us

The transfer deadline is fast approaching. What business have you done so far and are you confident of securing more signings before the window shuts? We're expecting around 3 more signings as we just signed Elmohamady on a year long deal today

Which player(s) do you think Bolton will have to be cautious about when they visit the KC on Saturday afternoon? Jay Simpson and Aluko will be the main threats

Which Bolton player(s) do you think will cause the biggest threat to your chances of victory? All of them, Bolton have a strong squad capable of putting a few past us

Bolton have been tipped as potential title candidates this season, but have struggled thus far. Where do you think the Wanderers will finish? 2nd

What do you think the final score will be when the two sides meet on Saturday? 2-1 to Hull ;)

Whoever gets their answers chosen will have their username featured in our article and full links back to this thread will also be included so BWFC fans can view all the answers you provide.

If you would like a similar feature doing in return, I would be more than happy to answer your questions.[/QUOTE]

3. Davies Headband

Davies Headband Well-Known Member

Last season's 8th placed finish was Hull's best since returning the Championship in 2010. Having spent two years in the Premier League prior to that, what has stopped the club mounting a promotion challenge since?

The first season was always a write off with the players we lost, but did well to finish as high as we did. Last season the most obvious problem was that we didn't score enough goals. We probably finished in about the right position with the squad we had though.

From the outside looking in, Steve Bruce was a surprise managerial appointment over the summer. How did the fans feel at the time and have opinions changed since the season began?

The way Barmby left wasn't popular, but Bruce is definitely an ambitious appointment, but for me the jury's still out. It's still too early for opinions to really change, but I am disappointed he's playing 5 at the back when goalscoring is our biggest problem.

Phil Brown is a name synonymous with Bolton Wanderers' past. He took Hull into the Premier League, but left the club under a bit of a cloud prior to their relegation. What is the fans' opinion on the job he did at the KC Stadium?

For the first 2 years the job he did was brilliant, first saving us from relegation as caretaker and then taking us up as permanent manager. The first half season in the Premier League was also excellent. After that he went away from what had made us successful, believed his own hype a bit too much and his signings weren't great either. I think he should have been given the rest of that second Premier League season, especially as the alternative was Dowie.

The transfer deadline is fast approaching. What business have you done so far and are you confident of securing more signings before the window shuts?

With Cairney's injury we now need a centre midfielder. A bit more quality out wide even with El Mohammady signing wouldn't go amiss but there's nothing else that's desperate.

Which player(s) do you think Bolton will have to be cautious about when they visit the KC on Saturday afternoon?

Sone Aluko and Robert Koren are the most obvious two threats, Aluko out wide and Koren 'in the hole'. James Chester at centre back is the best defender in the league, and Liam Rosenior is a very good player.

Which Bolton player(s) do you think will cause the biggest threat to your chances of victory?

Chris Eagles has always done well at this level. Kevin Davies aerial threat also could cause us some problems.

Bolton have been tipped as potential title candidates this season, but have struggled thus far. Where do you think the Wanderers will finish?

3rd.

1-0 City

4. roseniorhisgranisfromhull

roseniorhisgranisfromhull Well-Known Member

First season back we were carrying a lot of overpaid mediocre players we couldn't afford to keep. Pearson did his best to ship as many out as possible whilst bringing in a number of good and bad players, 11th was probably as good as we could've hoped for. Our home form that season was appaling and stopped uus ever offering a real challenge for the top 6. Last season the squad was stronger and nearly all of the Premier League dead wood (bar 4/5 players) had gone as well as a few decent players arriving. Our defence was superb all season but we struggled to score enough goals, and in the end feel just short (partly due to injuries to our 2 best players). Pearson leaving in November didn't really affect us, if anything we got stronger under Barmby.

I think most and certainly myself aren't big Bruce fans but were happy because of the other options. Bruce has a decent record at this level and a history of impressive recruitment. I think tactically he's far from the best, we've been playing a weird 3-5-2 away from home that I dislike. His signings have been very mixed. The likes of Aluko and Faye on frees look like smart deals as well as the impressive Ben Amos on loan from Man Utd. However the vast majority of our budget went on Nick Proschwitz (reported figure of £2.6m) who is yet to impress but most are willing to give him some more time. The signing of Bruce's son, Alex, is obviously a controversial one, and not a smart move as far as I'm concerned.

Very mixed, I couldn't answer what the views of all City fans are as Browny has been under and over-estimated beyond belief as far as I'm concerned. I'll always hold him in high regard for the memories of Wembley, Emirates, White Hart Lane, etc and taking us to the Premier League for our first time. However, he seemed to sign a ridiculous amount of players for what became our standard fee of £2.5m, very few of which ever looked like £2.5m players. I think he should've either been sacked in December/January when we were struggling or given until the end of the season, not sacked with 9 games to go.

In:
    Proschwitz (£2.6m)
    Amos (Loan - £250k)
    Faye (Free)
    Bruce (Free)
    Jakupovic (Free)
    Elmohamady (Loan)

I'd say most were happy with Aluko, Faye and Amos, with Aluko being the stand out signing so far. Question marks surrounding Proschwitz and certainly some doubts in terms of Bruce Jnr. We're yet to see Elmohamady and Jakupovic, expect Elmo to make a debut against you lot. We expect 2/3 more additions, most likely all loans.
    In terms of attacking threats, not many! Aluko is a dangerous little player, quick feet and unpredictable, but his finishing so far has left a lot to be desired. Elmohamady may be exciting if he makes his debut and will be keen to impress. Overall, most City fans rate Chester as our stand out talent, the young centre-back who always seems incredible calm and composed.

Either Eagles or Sordell.

Predicted you to finish top before the season started as you seemed to retain most of your Premier League squad. Still think you'll be up there but whereabouts is anyone's guess in this league.

City 0-1 Bolton.

5. tigerrev

tigerrev Well-Known Member

1. Last season we faded out of the promotion race and to be honest the squad we had was not really strong enough to go up. 8th place represented a decent season and an improvement on the previous campaign's 14th. Financial errors made in the Premier League days meant there was no way we could strengthen the squad further and without the Allam's (New Owners) intervention we may have ended up another Pompey.

2. When you sack the local hero (as the club did at the end of last season) then as owners of the club you have to bring in the right replacement. For me, either Steve Bruce or Mick McCarthy would have shown ambition on behalf of the owners. I think it is a really good appointment, but Steve Bruce has not been met with universal approval by Tigers fans and will have to win some of the supporters over by getting results quickly.

3. However you look at it, Phil Brown remains our most successful manager ever. He is the only man to get the club promoted to the top flight of English football and the sad thing about the way it ended was that he still had a chance of keeping us up when he was dismissed. People go on about "that team talk" on the pitch at Man City, but I think most teams had worked us out by the second half of the season and it was always going to be a struggle to stay up. Lots of fans wanted Brownie back when we sacked Barmby.

4 We've brought in Nick Proschwitz ( a German striker for £2.6m), Abdoulae Faye on a free, Sone Aluko from Rangers Ben Amos on loan from Man U and Elmohamody on loan from Sunderland. Steve Bruce is hoping to bring one or two more in either permanently or on loan when the loan window re-opens in a week or so.

5 Robert Koren from midfield - got 10 goals for us last season - Aluko is looking sharp as is Jay Simpson up front

6. Kevin Davies - always a handful for any defence

7. Its very early days and Owen Coyle is a a shrewd manager. I would be surprised if you weren't in the automatic spots. Play offs is the minimum you will achieve.

8 Despite wht I said above, I'm backing City to add to your indifferent start, so Hull City 2 - 0 Bolton

6. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Active Member

Well that's quite an easy question - the ability to score goals.
    The way Barmby left certainly upset a few. However, the appointment of Bruce certainly put a smile back on their faces. A few fans haven't been impressed by our start but people have to remember that we are only 3 games in Bruce is still getting used to working with the players.
    Phil Brown will never be forgotten here. He is our most succesful manager and whatever happens, nobody can take away that crown.
    We have done alright this summer in terms of signings and Bruce stated that he hopes to get a couple more players in before the close of the window.
    Well you will find it difficult to get past our defence but attacking wise, Aluko and Simpson will be a big threat with Proschwitz being difficult to handle.
    All of them because you have such a great squad. But if I had to pick out one, it would be Marvin Sordell.
    1st
    Brain over heart so, 2-1 Bolton

7. We are Hull

We are Hull Well-Known Member

Surely if someone has more success with us they will take his crown? :D

8. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

1. Our first season back in the Championship was never going to be easy. It's been well documented that we had severe financial problems upon relegation after hugely overspending in both transfer fees and wage packages.

Nigel Pearson took over under pretty appalling circumstances when we looked set for a winding-up order. We spent the entire summer attempting to get rid of all of our high earners and had to resort to signing several free agents and loan transfers in an almost entirely new-look side. The Allams saved us after completing a takeover in December but despite the £2.5m double signing of a new strikeforce - Fryatt & McLean - it was always going to be a rebuilding season and 11th was pretty good going.

Our second season was a serious play-off challenge and we were sat in 6th for the majority of the season before an appalling final few months saw us slip to 8th. I suppose our excuse there could be the disjointed season we had after Nigel Pearson abandoned us for Leicester and the completely inexperience Barmby took over. He tried to bring Arsenal-esque football to the KC but ultimately we didn't have the players for it and his refusal to try out different styles, formations and even starting 11s cost us.

2. Our season wasn't looking overly promising after the controversial sacking of Nick Barmby. Some of our top players openly stated at the official supporters club that it was ludicrous and some fans felt a mass exodus was on the horizon.
    Thankfully that didn't happen and a big-name recruit like Steve Bruce has calmed our nerves and brought back harmony to the KC Stadium. How long that will last remains to be seen.

3. Regardless of their opinion of the man on a personal level, I don't think there's a single fan that can possibly deny that he was our greatest ever manager. He took over as caketaker boss midway through the 2006-07 season and somehow saved us from seemingly certain doom, finishing 21st in the Championship. From there, he took us from 3 points clear of relegation to 4 points away from automatic promotion, all in the space of 12 months. He took us up through the play-offs and essentially gifted the club the best three years of it's footballing history. Yes, it all ended in tears, but it was well worth it. In my eyes, a manager who took us from such lows to such highs with so little should never have been sacked, regardless of relegation.

4. Eldin Jakupovic (Aris, free)
    Ben Amos (Manchester United, loan)
    Nick Proschwitz (Paderborn, £2.6m)
    Alex Bruce (Leeds, free)
    Abdoulaye Faye (West Ham, free)
    Ahmed Elmohamady (Sunderland, loan)
    Sone Aluko (Rangers, free)

Bruce has said that there could be anywhere between 1 and 4 more signings before the window shuts - but that may include other signings in the loan window in a few weeks time. As for the players already recruited, Sone Aluko looks a real handful and could set the league alight this year if he really gets going. Nick Proschwitz, our most expensive signing since Stephen Hunt in 2009, hasn't been quite what we expected so far but has shown flashes of what he can do and most fans are happy to give him plenty of time to settle into English football.

5. As I mentioned in the previous answer, Sone Aluko looks top-drawer and could cause problems for the Bolton defense, whether it be from the wing or the front line.
    Jay Simpson has had a good start to the season and will be a threat from the front if started, and Robert Koren is always a danger for a long-range strike at any given moment.

6. That's really a question we should be asking you! You have a very strong side for the Championship and are certainly one of the favourites to go up. Stuart Holden, Martin Petrov, Mark Davies and Chris Eagles is a very strong midfield but so too is the strikeforce of Kevin Davies and David N'Gog. There're too many to choose from!

7. I think they'll recover easily enough and finish a comfortable 3rd/4th. Owen Coyle has had a tough 12 months but he's still a manager I hold in very high regard, I think Bolton will be just fine if they stick with him.

8. Bolton are certainly going into the game the stronger side, but with City's defense, it's going to be a close one. Despite that, Bolton have that extra bit of quality up front and may be too much for us to handle so unfortunately I'm going to have to go with Hull 0-1 Bolton.

9. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

Manny - here are the questions:

--------------------------------
    (Q)Last season's 8th placed finish was Hull's best since returning the Championship in 2010. Having spent two years in the Premier League prior to that, what has stopped the club mounting a promotion challenge since?

(A)the simple fact of the matter is one of GOALS or lack of. With one of the best defensive records in last seasons championship Hull City should have made the top 6 with ease and could have challenged for the top 2. this has been an ongoing problems since our PL days.

(Q)From the outside looking in, Steve Bruce was a surprise managerial appointment over the summer. How did the fans feel at the time and have opinions changed since the season began?

(A)some liked the idea and some did not. nobody can deny he has the CV and experience to get us back to the PL.

(Q)Phil Brown is a name synonymous with Bolton Wanderers' past. He took Hull into the Premier League, but left the club under a bit of a cloud prior to their relegation. What is the fans' opinion on the job he did at the KC Stadium?

(A)He did a great job until Xmas 2008. Then he lost the plot and some of the key players after heavy defeats to Sunderland and Manchester City. He lost his nerve and a downward spiral occured. The rest is history sadly.

(Q)The transfer deadline is fast approaching. What business have you done so far and are you confident of securing more signings before the window shuts?

(A)Today we have taken Elmohamady from Sunderland on a seasons loans. Others are supposed to follow soon. Watch this space.

(Q)Which player(s) do you think Bolton will have to be cautious about when they visit the KC on Saturday afternoon?

(A)If they play it has to be Robbie Koren - Aluko - Elmohamady and Rosenoir who likes toi attack down the right wing.

(Q)Which Bolton player(s) do you think will cause the biggest threat to your chances of victory?

(A)Eagles and Lee your 2 wingers and Kevin Davies for obvious reasons.

(Q)Bolton have been tipped as potential title candidates this season, but have struggled thus far. Where do you think the Wanderers will finish?

(A)Top 6. But i would not like to say which position. Top 6 would be a good season for Bolton, imo.

(Q)What do you think the final score will be when the two sides meet on Saturday?

(A)1-0 to Hull City. A tight game with one goal. In saying that it will now be a 4-4. Lol.

If you would like a similar feature doing in return, I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Good questions and good luck after saturday Manny.

10. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Initially the problem was bad owners of the club, which thankfully local business man Dr Allam fixed by coming in and saving the club. Since the Allams took over and found their feet, the problem was crap managers, thankfully fixed with the arrival of Steve Bruce.

The sensible ones were over joyed, some of the haters are starting to come round, especially given the deafening silence from the Barmby camp.

He was like riding a roller coaster, with a blindfold on. Sometimes exciting, sometimes scary, ups and downs, he gave us the best memories and the worst.

I expect 4 loans now, but don't expect anymore bought players. Steve Bruce has done some excellent business over the last few months and I expect that to pay dividends this season.

McLean, Proschwitz and Simpson.

Your goal posts. :D

7th

We're going to beat you 4-0, 2 for McLean, 1 for Prozzie and 1 for Simpson.

11. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Has Nick shagged your missus or something?

Or if that's you in your avatar, is it a height thing?

12. Davies Headband

Davies Headband Well-Known Member

If the worst memories you have of supporting City are under Phil Brown you're a lucky lucky man.

13. Happy Tiger

I don't mean worst EVER of course, I was just trying to portray the roller coaster ride that was Brownies management stint. Gets us promoted, beats the Arse, beats most London clubs tbh, then just seemed to go totally mental and act like a muppet every week with some crazy decisions til we got relegated.

So no, not worst ever, though I try to not think about standing in the away end in Scarborough hoping they lost with 30ish other City fans so we'd stay in the league, or the whole Lloyd saga, or Duffen etc.

Brown promised so much, then let us down so badly.

14. Stuart Blampey

Stuart Blampey Well-Known Member

Get a grip man

He left us struggling in the Premiership after taking over when we were struggling in the Championship

Even in his second season, we dicked Everton at home, we dicked Man City at home after drawing away with them, we drew with Chelsea here, we drew at Spurs etc

His so-called **** second season still contained some of our greatest ever results and performances.

15. Steve.R

Steve.R Active Member

Q: Last season's 8th placed finish was Hull's best since returning the Championship in 2010. Having spent two years in the Premier League prior to that, what has stopped the club mounting a promotion challenge since?

A: Manager changes but mostly having expensive wage earners on the books (especially Bullard) who couldn't be shipped out which stopped players coming in

Q: From the outside looking in, Steve Bruce was a surprise managerial appointment over the summer. How did the fans feel at the time and have opinions changed since the season began?

A: Mixed reactions and still mixed, needs time

Q:phil Brown is a name synonymous with Bolton Wanderers' past. He took Hull into the Premier League, but left the club under a bit of a cloud prior to their relegation. What is the fans' opinion on the job he did at the KC Stadium?

A: Best manager in the club's history, theres nothing wrong with paying big fees and spending big wages on young hungry players who will have a resale value but he went for a quick fix mostly and it all went tits up in the end

Q: The transfer deadline is fast approaching. What business have you done so far and are you confident of securing more signings before the window shuts?

A: Expecting loans only but have trust in Bruce to add some quality after the 25 man Prem squads are named

Q: Which player(s) do you think Bolton will have to be cautious about when they visit the KC on Saturday afternoon?

A: Aluko and Proschwitz is due a goal

Q:Which Bolton player(s) do you think will cause the biggest threat to your chances of victory?

A: Haven't seen your summer recruitment so will say Davies

Q: Bolton have been tipped as potential title candidates this season, but have struggled thus far. Where do you think the Wanderers will finish?

A: If you haven't let too many go automatic promotion should be a realistic target

Q: What do you think the final score will be when the two sides meet on Saturday?

A: 1-1

16. Happy Tiger

I did say ups and downs...Im hardly Mr Negative ffs.

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Our second season was utter dog ****e, we were an embarrassment. We spent a fortune on talentless journeymen and wasters, we put up no fight at all.

Brownie deserves enormous credit for what he achieved in the promotion season and the first Premier League season(most of it), but let's not try and rewrite history, our second Premier League season was ****.

18. Stuart Blampey

Stuart Blampey Well-Known Member

See my previous post and the notable results we achieved.

(Never even mentioned Arsenal at home when our ten men pushed them all the way- hardly 'we put up no fight at all' ffs....)

19. King Curtis

King Curtis Well-Known Member

(1) Last season's 8th placed finish was Hull's best since returning the Championship in 2010. Having spent two years in the Premier League prior to that, what has stopped the club mounting a promotion challenge since?

The club's financial problems were well documented after our relegation from the top flight, and it was always going to take time for the club to get back on it's feet again. There was even a worry we could have dropped back down the leagues. Nigel Pearson helped to stabalise the club after relegation and although the football we've played hasn't been pleasing on the eye, we've hardly been in the bottom half of the league since the start of 2011. Fans were disappointed to miss out on the top 6 last season and a lack of goals has hindered our progress but considering how bleak things looked 2 years ago, I'm happy to see us been able to challenge the upper end of the Championship.

(2) From the outside looking in, Steve Bruce was a surprise managerial appointment over the summer. How did the fans feel at the time and have opinions changed since the season began?

Barmby's sacking was a shock at first but once the dust began to settle debate was rife amongst City fans on Barmby's and the Allam's actions in the whole affair. Steve Bruce was a suprise appointment, beyond some of our expectations but his arrival seemed to excite many fans and bring confidence ahead of the new season. There's been a couple of knee jerk reactions after a league cup defeat but I'd say the majority are still happy with Bruce.

(3)Phil Brown is a name synonymous with Bolton Wanderers' past. He took Hull into the Premier League, but left the club under a bit of a cloud prior to their relegation. What is the fans' opinion on the job he did at the KC Stadium?

Despite what happened in the last 12 months of his time here the majority of fans hold Brown in very high regard. He brought top flight football to the club, something no one had done previously and gave us memories such as Wembley, winning at Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle and drawing at Liverpool and giving United a scare at Old Trafford. Things weren't always perfect post December 2008, but Brown achieved a heck of a lot here.

(4) The transfer deadline is fast approaching. What business have you done so far and are you confident of securing more signings before the window shuts?

We've added the likes of exciting winger Sone Aluko from Rangers, Experienced Faye from West Ham, Amos on loan from Man U and spent £2.6 million on a German striker still finding his feet but who will hopefully come good. Before the transfer window shuts Elmohamady has come on loan from Sunderland and we'll probably look to add to midfield and maybe another striker.

(5) Which player(s) do you think Bolton will have to be cautious about when they visit the KC on Saturday afternoon?

Jay Simpson (if he plays). Been in great form this season. Koren and Aluko should also be threatening and Chester will be a good test for the likes of Kevin Davies.

(6) Which Bolton player(s) do you think will cause the biggest threat to your chances of victory?

Kevin Davies, Chris Eagles and Martin Petrov

(7) Bolton have been tipped as potential title candidates this season, but have struggled thus far. Where do you think the Wanderers will finish?

I'd expect Bolton to be in one of the top 4 places come the end of the season.

(8) What do you think the final score will be when the two sides meet on Saturday?

Close game but I think it will be a 2-1 win for us.

20. King Curtis

King Curtis Well-Known Member

It also contained poor results against the likes of Wolves, Blackburn, Birmingham, West Ham and Fulham. They were very good results the ones you mentioned, we didn't make it count though against sides we needed to take points off and those good results merely papered over the cracks.