1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Better or Worse?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by The Kish, Jul 27, 2014.

1. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

I haven't posted for a while but now I'm sufficiently excited for the new season I was wondering whether there's a consensus as to whether we are in a better or worse position than this time last year?

To me it is almost the same; and that why I'm optimistic.

We still have that young nucleus (Solly, Wiggins, Morro, with Cousins and the Harriotts added) and we've added some journeyman reinforcements and some intriguing unknowns. To me the only difference is still the irreplaceable loss of Kermorgant.

It really feels like we're on the edge of something - either a spectacular implosion or giving it a good-go. And that's cause for excitement; be it the good or the bad kind.

Richard Burton when told he had two weeks to live if he carried on drinking in the early 70s decided that the precifice he was on was exciting. So he carried on drinking to see what happened. I for one can't wait to have that first drink on the 9th and see where it leads...

Any thoughts?

2. CarrianCarcuss

CarrianCarcuss Active Member

I think we will be in another relegation scrap, but wouldn't mind that as last season was eventful, as long as it doesn't end sourly. But in all honestly it can go either way as the players might gel, could be world beaters or could be shocking, time will tell.

3. CAFC TED

CAFC TED Well-Known Member

I think we're in a slightly worse position, don't like Ben Haim, not too excited by Igor, only Herman 2.0 and Moussa excite me at all.

But if the team gels, Ben Haim becomes a rock at the back and Igor scores 30 goals a season I will be the first to put my hands up and say I was wrong.

Relegation scrap all over, just not too sure what side of the line we will be this time, I can see Peeters being gone by November though

4. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Worse.
    The players are unknown to me, but what is also unknown is what the team spirit will be like, and this is something I was very happy about going into last season.

5. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Next season reminds me of 'The battle of Bouvines' ... King John fighting the Surrender Monkeys but the English nobility refuse to help so John takes a small band of English soldiers with support from the Flemish and Germans to fight a smaller French army... problem was, even though the individual sections of English, Flemish and German soldiers were better than the smaller French army because they fought as individual units rather than a unified army... the French fought as one unit and won.

Over to you Mr Peeters!

6. The Kish

Did you read about this on the BBC website the other day too??? :wink:

7. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

And me.

Anyway, this is Ponders' area of expertise, so butt out!

8. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

We are much worse off.

No Kermorgant, Dervite, Stephens, Hamer or Poyet, and only the replacement for Hamer may be as good (although still to be proven). Cousins continued his development well, but other youngsters who we hoped would be squad regulars by now have not come on at all. And ongoing worries over Solly's long-term fitness, and maybe Wiggins' too.

One advantage is that with Blackpool looking certs for relegation we will be fighting over two relegation spots, not three. (I thought the same about Yeovil last year but, although they did eventually finish bottom, they put up a fight).

I quite like Moussa and Gudjonsson but it remains to be seen if they are quick enough and hard enough respectively for the Championship.

And the emergence of Gomez, no surprise to our loyal u-18 watchers here, is exciting, but I think it would be wrong to expect too much of him this year. He has lot of maturing to do mentally and physically. So many young talents get knocked back after being over-exposed (Zaha, Gosling, Nick Powell, and dozens more just in recent years).

Finally there are big question marks over team spirit and squad unity.That was CP's greatest strength until RD rocked the boat trying to force his eurotrash into the team. I like Bob, but I am not sure if he has the confidence and financial independence to fend off RD's interference once things start going wrong.

Bookies have Blackpool certs for relegation and two out of Charlton, Millwall and Rotherham for the other two places. I think that is spot on.

9. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

we are worse off. last year we had a idea of what the team was capable of. this year, we're somewhere in the middle of running away with the league or certs for relegation.

the ground being spruced up does make me look forward to going back in a couple of weeks. but it will be like L1 title winning season all over again - i have no clue what the players we have signed are like and all i can do is hope they work out.

i am glad our youth are getting a go though.

10. deleted.....

Yes I did and thought how this resembled our current predicament!

11. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Worse it don't feel like my club anymore to be honest it just feels weird

12. deleted.....

It seems we could watch a team play like Real Madrid 'C' in Barca's 2nd strip <yikes>

13. The Kish

Despite hardly anyone agreeing with my original post I agree with everything everyone has said... :undecided:

14. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Tough one. The unknown is what makes me fear this season. We seem to have bought some genuine upper championship quality in Gudmunson - and think moussa should make the step up (though I don't think he'll return as many goals this season).

I was dubious to Ventokele (I hope I spelt that right whilst half asleep) and nothing has changed my initial fears. He really needs to hit the ground running or he will become an expensive flop and find himself in the German fifth division come May.

I'd say it's probably on par to last yard team right now - but it has the potential to go drastically either way. The poor pre season really isn't giving me confidence.

15. deleted.....

I think the problem with our pre-season games is that we always play teams from lower in the league structure than us (except for the training game against SL) so we have no idea how this team will perform against a technically equal (or superior) team. I know we couldn't use the Valley this pre-season but couldn't we have played a better team in Spain than a Conference South standard team?

16. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Possibly worse off. The one caveat being that this time last season we were reduced to signing freebies like Gower and Church. Surely our new players can't be worse than those ?

17. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

You hope not! Guess we just have to wait and see if we have better replacements for Kermo, Stephens and poyet. If not, we're in severe trouble.

18. ForestHillBilly

You can't scout players sitting in front of computers, I can't see how that will work, and that's what we are relying on.

19. CAFC TED

CAFC TED Well-Known Member

Football Manager is a good scouting Network. Simon Church scores 20 a season... oh I see what you mean

20. ForestHillBilly

So that's how we ended up with him:wink: