1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Thread: Coventry City v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Mar 30, 2011.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The Match Thread

Coventy City 2 v 0 Watford

McSheffrey (27)
    Jutkiewicz (66)

The Skyblues welcome the Hornets and the 20th team plays the 9th. The travelling folk of Hertfordshire are going to visit to Warwickshire.

COVENTRY CITY

www.uksoccershop.com_images_invt_1070.jpg

• The Manager – ?

1%282085%29.jpg This is the team for Saturday.

• The Skyblues

The only things I found were half the team are reporting sick but Marlon King is fit again.

• The Fan – skybluefanfromcoventry

"What do you think are the chances of us winning at Home against Watford on Saturday?
    Earlier on in the season versus Watford away, we did reasonably well. However with half the team off sick, things look less positive, despite being at Home.
    Watford are never our favorite team to play against and I just cannot get last season's Home defeat against them out of my mind."

Update on the Skyblues’ latest statistics

WATFORD

1238.jpg

• The Manager - Malky Mackay

0,,10362~7570055,00.jpg

"We have eight games to go, you look at it and have we had a big enough squad all year? No not really and there are reasons for that. Ideally I would love a bigger squad and between now and the end of the season would have liked to have brought a couple in. If it doesn’t happen then the squad there just now will buckle down and concentrate on those eight games."

• The Hornets

Adrian Mariappa is in the naughty corner for the visit to Coventry after getting sent off against Middlesbrough. Danny Drinkwater and Lloyd Doyley should have recovered from their leg problems and Stephen McGinn is out for a long time with his knee ligament injury.

• The Fan – wfcthroughandthrough

"We need to trust Malky! He was right with Buckley, he played for about 15 games and looked ok, was rested for months and came back looking incredible.
    Witchelow and Bryan are other examples. One of Malkys best attributes is knowing how to get the best out of players and when they are ready. Sordell will back and like truesupporter says, he'll be better for it.”

Update on the Hornet's latest statistics

Who will win?

Current form

Coventry are suffering. They have two wins since Christmas and these were both against CrystalPalace, strangely both were by 2-1. There are five draws in this period and nine defeats, in the last ten games things look even worse. Nine goals scored and sixteen against in these ten games is not happy reading.
    On the other hand Watford has started to get some good results after a setback in January and February. Danny Graham has found his scoring boots again.

Akureyri's Prediction: 0-2 Watford’s good series of results in Coventry will continue, but the goals will not be from Danny Graham.

There is a history

The last match: Watford 2 – Coventry City 2:

The Skyblues wiped away a slowly built Watford lead in the last two minutes of Aidy Boothroyd’s first match as manager. David Bell and Lukas Jutkiewicz scored the goals that stole a draw from almost certain defeat. Will Buckley and John Eustace had given Watford a two goal lead that lasted until 88.min.
    On the other hand the game had been very even although Watford had two more shots, one fouls and two corners more than Coventry. The match was marked for an injury to goalkeeper Iain Turner who had a cut eye in the first period.

Further into the past: City have the upper hand in meetings in Coventry but only just, although recently Watford have been more successful. Going long way back to the first meeting where CoventryCity managed five goals and they have only matched that once since. Watford had their best return on their last visit with the 4-0 victory.

On My Radio: If you cannot get to the game, BBC Radio 5live and BBC WM will cover the game.

skál/skål/cheers/salut

Don't forget

The Hornet's Nest on the BBC’s 606 or not606
    Drop in for some match chat.
    Travellers may want some information about Coventry.

please log in to view this image

2. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Nice one AK, but I think some of the sewing machine chaps might get upset with you placing them in Teeside...:wink:

I will go for my ever usual 3-1 to the Watford..one week I will prevail :emoticon-0120-doh:

Looks like a good turn out from gods own county, first set of tickets have sold oout and it is pay on the door now. Our 6 tickets arrived this morning...:p

3. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

4-0 to the orns only regret being Aidy not there. This one we really should win and could be start of the all important max point runin... coyh

4. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

And some of the younger supporters who do not study geography may get lost as well. I have brought Coventry closer.

Steve Harrison is one of the temporary managers so a strong link there.

5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good one as usual ak.

To me this could be a defining game. Win this one and we could kick on. Anything less and mid-table obscurity beckons.

6. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i always get a good feeling going to Coventry, perhaps because, to date, i've never been on the losing side. Always good to chat to the team after the game too :). i'm going for a 0-3 this time, with DG scoring at least one, and Doyley having more success in front of goal than usual! lol.

COYH!

7. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Nice one Ak ,I think this is one of your better creations;)

8. Norwayhornet

Got a feeling that youre spot on Frenchie it is a must win game for any play off asparations.

9. Bloother

Bloother Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this. I think an away win, but not by 4 this time.

10. COYH

COYH Member

Tis a pity no Aidy (well not for Sky Blues fans). It's got all the makings of an away win but I will temper our optimism for lots of goals to one where a scraped 1-2 would do fine.

Ak, I feel that we should be pointing out that THE goal of the season was in the previous meeting of these two clubs at the Vic. Rooney, pah. Eustace's overhead from 15 yards.

If we can get a win then a last play off challenge beckons. A loss and I think we'll have a great chance to get next season's team some match practice, which would be just fine.

11. SandyHornet

SandyHornet Active Member

Nice thread ak - think I'll go with a very close 1-2 win for us.

Has there been any change to setting threads up yet? Can you add it to other team boards, if not I might send a Global thread asking for action.

606 is pretty much dead and buried, and not606 is just missing the across-team banter to make it the best alternative site.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Another good thread Ak - you do brilliantly coping with this new structure

I sent a message to the guy who asked me to be Mod to see if he could answer about mutli-team threads - he said they are not possible now but would follow up on it to see if anything could be done.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Agree with others that anything other than a win and we can stand down for the play offs - but a win keeps hopes and dreams alive a little longer

14. SandyHornet

SandyHornet Active Member

Thanks Lenny, hopefully they can add this to the site soon.

15. Norwayhornet

Would make it a bit better Leo for sure ! Until then we will just have to advertise in the oppositions forums!

16. Si

Si Member

If we win tomorrow and Sheff Utd fail to win we are mathematically safe. That would sure be a weight of my mind! ;)

17. Supergeo2411Wfc

Gotta be 2-0 to the 'Orns with a nice travelling support, bring it on :)

18. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I wonder if this week's flirtation with administration will affect the home team at all? Not that the financial security of WFC is exactly guaranteed!

We ought to be able to create chances and if the finishing's good get a result. Defence is still prone to error but I think we'll sneak home 2-1.

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Si - surely the 1% threat of relegation is not really much of a weight on your mind is it - I agree that it will be good to be mathematically safe but I would bet any amount of money at any odds that Watford are already safe :)

Welcome here though if I have not already welcomed you (and in fact even if I have) :)

20. Norwayhornet

I think 48 is the safety mark possibly even 46 !!