1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Thread: Preston North End v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, May 5, 2011.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The Match Thread

Preston North End 3 v 1 Watford

Andreas Weimann - 13.min (0-1)
    Barry Nicholson - 28.min (1-1)
    Iain Hume - 56.min (2-1)
    Jamie Proctor - 88.min (3-1)​

Preston welcome the Hornets for the last match of both clubs season. The Hertfordshire folk are travelling the motorways for the last time.

Preston North End

please log in to view this image

• The Manager – Phil Brown

“I have said to them that I don't want to finish bottom of this league, we can still catch S****horpe if we beat Watford next week, so that is our challenge come the end of the season.”

“There are certain things in the football club that won't be acceptable next season, there was one or two things out there that wasn't acceptable today, but in the main 90-95% of what the kids did, and some of the seniors was acceptable both their performance and behaviour in representing Preston North End.”

• The Whites

Iain Turner
    Scott Leather
    Daniel Devine
    Billy Jones
    Craig Morgan
    Keith Treacy
    Darren Carter
    Doyle Middleton for Ian Ashbee - 52.min
    Barry Nicholson - goal 28.min
    George Miller for Paul Hayes - 79.min
    Jamie Proctor goal 88.min for Iain Hume - goal 56.min at 58.min

Substitutes:

Andreas Arestidou
    Seanan Clucas
    Adam Barton
    Danny Mayor
    Jamie Proctor

• The Fan – InvinciblesNorthEnd

I for one feel positive about PNE. We have the only completed stadium in the county. We have fantastic fans. We have history. We have respect from far and wide. Something needed to change. After over 10 years in the same division the club had gone stale. This is the start of some exciting times. Regardless of the division we are in, if we are winning, and making progress, then the fans will come.

Update on the Preston’s latest statistics

WATFORD

• The Manager - Malky Mackay

“I'm really happy with the amount of effort, commitment and determination the lads showed out there and the potential that we showed against the champions of the league."​

"I think that we gave a real game to QPR and had them on the back foot for a lot of the game and I think, on another day, that's at least a draw or perhaps we would have nicked it”.

• The Hornets

Scott Loach
    Lee Hodson
    Adrian Mariappa
    Tommie Hoban for Martin Taylor 22.min
    Lloyd Doyley
    Don Cowie
    John Eustace
    Will Buckley for Sean Murray - 60.min
    Matthew Whichelowfor Troy Deeney - 46.min​

Andreas Weimann - goal 13.min
    Danny Graham

Substitutes:

Rene Gilmartin
    Danny Drinkwater
    Britt Assombalonga
    Michael Bryan

• The Fan – Hornette_TID

Who will win?

Current form
    Watford have won only one game in the last eight, with two draws, with nine goals marked against 16. Preston on the other hand managed two wins in the last eight, and two draws. So they are the form team! On the goals table they have marked nine against losing 13, so stronger in defence also.

Akureyri's Prediction: 2-3 Watford’s poor series of results will come to an end in a flurry of goals, Phil Brown’s Preston will finish the season with another defeat.

There is a history

The last match: Watford 2 – Preston North End 2: Preston raced to an early lead and then managed a second mark looking like they would gain the first win under Phil Brown. Unhappily it was not the result they wanted and Watford stumbled back to draw. Waford dominated possession, but Preston had the edge everywhere else.

Further into the past: Preston and Watford had only met 20 times at Deepdale and Preston completely hold the upper hand. 12 wins against two, and 36 goals against 19. Even one of Watford’s wins came in a cup game. Preston’s only home league defeat on their own ground was just before Christmas in 1979 when they lost 1-2

On My Radio: If you cannot get to the game, BBC Radio 5live and BBC Radio Lancashire will cover the game.

skál/skål/cheers/salut

Don't forget

The Hornet's Nest on the BBC’s 606 or

not606

Drop in for some match chat.
    Travellers may want some information about Preston.

2. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

:) Excellent as usual Ak, thank you. i won't be around on Saturday, gutting..so i'll be checking my phone for updates...i hope the site will be working where i am, the reception is diabolical!
    and i've been quoted! Fame at last lol

3. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Thanks Ak , good job again!

4. lilywhite forever

Very good match thread, a different and interesting format <ok>

Final game of the season for both teams and a farewell to the Championship for us at Deepdale. Hopefully we can go out with a bang against a Hornets side with nothing to play for. I think Phil Brown will be playing some of our youngsters and they will be eager to impress. I'm going for a creditable 2-2 draw.

Good luck to you guys next season, and hope to be playing you again in the not too distant future!

5. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Lilywhite forever you might be down to league one but not for long.

6. lilywhite forever

Thanks for that akureyri, I hope you're right about it

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Somehow I still think of Preston being a club that should not be in the lower divisions, although they have spent many years now seeking some success. Good luck to them on a speedy return.

Good thread as usual ak. You are allowed a short break before it all starts up again.

8. Elixir69

Elixir69 Member

Ak well done again - I had wondered when you were going to post this.

It will be an early start for me tomorrow as I'll be on the bus - 7am start, I'd better get those alarm clocks lined up!!!!

As for the game, I think it might be quiet. Looking on at the last 20 mins last week after we'd lost Taylor and Sordell (Derry horror tackle) I thought how "knackered" we looked. I mean it has been a huge challenge proving all these pundits wrong. We've played just a few loan players this season to augment our "thin" squad and Malky has achieved a miracle.

I wake up this morning to Malky commenting that he "doesn't know what next season's budget is". Would you treat your worst neighbour's dog like the way Malky has been treated since January? First off he wanted to retain the effective loan players - denied this he has 2 "second rate" ones, how we have got away with Doyley at LB is beyond me! Now Malky is going to be challenged with swinging player sales AND a budget cut for next season, Billy Davis would have thrown a right wobbler, but not the top pro that Malky is - he just gets on with it.

Well done Malky, you deserve huge praise. In football if the 1st team are rubbish, then the whole club falls apart. If Malky had not performed another miracle this season, the club would have sunk.

COYH - just 1 more performance please.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Great thread as always Ak - you've had a good season - if you were a football team you would have got automatic promotion :)

10. Norwayhornet

Agree with a lot of what you say Ellixir , I am think MM doesnt know the budget , because Mr B doesnt know ,I am hoping he is someone else `s lackey!!and as thus a stop gap , whilst we are in this `limbo ` I dont expect many earth shattering decisions , we will just bimble along and try and do the best we can!
    For tomorrows game a draw I think! Just hope we can shake off that jaded look from last weekend!

11. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Nathan not allowed to play? It should have been made a compulsory stipulation of the loan that he has to play. We deserve to get some value for the outrageous original transfer fee.

12. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

Not sure theo. TS has scored twice against us this season and I am sure there are many cases of ex-Hornets doing the business in the past. I wouldn't put it past the Pieman to pull a rotten trick. Nothing to play for so 1-1 DG to sign off with a goal, if he is going.

Wouldn't it be nice if he got a hat-trick though.

13. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Nice one AK and well worth 5*'s

I may as well go for my usual 3-1 to Watford after coming from 1-0 down....got to be right one week!

Hope you bounce straight back up Preston - decent club and decent fans...

14. Norwayhornet

You havent got it all season yet <laugh>

15. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

I know, but may as well stick with what you know...a bit like 'er indoors...
    There's been a bit of a car smash outside the W_Y Dacha...couple of jam sandwiches and plod directing cars!

I think in honour of the week-end, I will make an early start - a nice strong & spicey Bloody Mary is called for!

16. Norwayhornet

17. northofwatfordpete

I don't want us to lose this one but I also don't want Preston to finish their season with a home loss. High scoring draw would be good - all the best to PNE next season - I expect them back in a season or two.

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I want us to win - makes no difference to PNE but we want to finish as high as we can

19. Norwayhornet

It makes a modicum of difference to PNE if they win they dont finish bottom! maybe !

20. Watford_Orn

Watford_Orn New Member

Going up for this tomorrow! Anyone else going? Fancy a bloomin awesome party atmosphere from us 'Orns like against Coventry last year!

COYH!

(Made the jump ages ago, just not posted! Haha Good to see you all)